australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

I've never been to Melbourne...I've never been to australia actually, but Sydney, Brisbane & Perth just simply don't interest me...

I've heard so much about Melbourne, being the most livable city in the world, i.e. low crime rates etc etc... this true???

also the weather is the coolest in Australia? which is a good thing, keep in mind im Scottish & used to our brisk British winters!!!

what intrigues me most is the emerging fashion & music scene that Melbourne is harbouring...

what's the feeling out there? anticipation of things about to explode???

what i mean by that is, I know there is Marais, Assin, Belinda & a couple other avant-garde stores in Melbourne...

but is there the scope for a colette/dover street market style store for Melbourne to support...

like a store, that fuses progressive fashion with music & somewhere chic to eat all under one roof kind of thing???

I like the idea of living in Melbourne...am I insane? should i remain in London???

appreciate the thoughts of the Melbournites!!!

- not sure about crime rates, but melbourne is definitely very easy place to live. stay a couple months and become familiar with the city and its hidden gems and youre set

- i think hobart would be cooler than melbourne. melbournes weather is erratic - 4 seasons in one day. it can get to about 40 degrees in the summer (37 today, 39 tomorrow) and as low as 10-12 degrees in winter.

- of all the places you mentioned (sydney, bris, perth), melbourne is probably the best city to start a new avant-garde concept store. melbournes culture is really different to other capital cities - a very underground, cool aesthetic that would be accepting of stores a bit left-of-centre.

Guest jhaime9

37!! woah! that's hot.

yeah, LDN is just stupidly pricey & nobody gets value for money...

the whole pretentious scene is just getting old, but certainly isn't going away any time soon.

I've been weighing up options between Vancouver, Montreal & Melbourne...obviously snowboarding is the attraction with Vancouver, but Melbourne has the weather &from what i've been told, a pretty hawt music scene...

besides checking out the stores you frequent (JB is a good time sink) I can't really think of anything else to do to pass time in the city that's free. even then you can only really go cruising around the stores in one area once every week or 2 otherwise there won't be any new stuff anyway....

getting bored with surfing the interwebs?

yeah, not to mention that EB sells everything at RRP unless they are having one of their sales.

fuck, I'm on the search for black waxed jeans again. marck was kind enough to send me the measurements for his CON neo neo black oil jeans but the rise is too high for my liking. anything more than about a 22cm rise looks kinda shit on me but not sure what other options are available for waxed denim. I have a feeling that raf denim won't be slim enough for my liking and there doesn't seem to be anything locally that will fit the bill (waxed dr. denim jeans looked decent but the quality was shit). any other suggestions (besides buying a pair of jeans and waxing them myself :P)?

I tried on 17.5cm waxed diors at Assin the other day, just isn't slim enough for me anymore. the rise was also something of an issue for me. I'm far too lazy to actually wax jeans myself haha, although there doesn't seem to be many other options out there.

the hex cash jeans aren't really waxed as such, although they definitely have a sheen to them. the depth of the black and the sheen makes it one of my favourite denims, fit is great too icon14.gif

not as tapered as the CM's (the taper on those is fucking intense) but still a nice skinny fit. yeah I sized down 2 from my CM size. CM lizzies fit about 1 inch larger than tagged, where as acne hex cash fit about 3 inches larger than tagged.

Guest jhaime9

hey guys,

curious here.

Are there no fashion sales agencies down there???

spent the past hour looking through contacts of most recognised aussie lines, some international, some local. No mention of sales agencies, plenty of PR firms. Do they all take care of their own sales in-house for Australia then out-source sales to agencies in international territories or something...

Was looking to maybe tie down a temporary role with a sales agency, however it all appears to be in-house remedial stuff for the local market???

well done pand, congrats, you on your way!

I am no hipster... although I did own a fixed gear before I went overseas. I just want a bike for transport... I do know bonified hipsters though, and have been to a party or two. o_O

just ease of getting around the local area really... sick of walking everywhere that's not worth driving or getting PT to.

haha, I'm trying to picture someone your height kitted out in RO and skin tight jeans cruising around Melbourne on a bike :P

haha, just be careful not to put any holes in a $3K leather jacket ;)

btw as much as it pisses me off to have to resell stuff because they don't fit/look shit on me, I've been suprised by just how easily I've been able to flip items lately. jawn recession must be over haha.

Yeah, I worry I might put a hole in the RO jacket riding... however, I'm going to get my hands on another leather to wear a bit harder soon... ;)

I noticed you've been selling a fair bit lately, you getting cash together for something interesting?

Managed to flip one of the pairs of jeans, will try to find some acne hex on sale now.

nice one tyro, what new leather you got planned man? I'd love to buy one more leather jacket (the margiela style Julius one from FW07), but I can't justify dropping the cash for a third leather jacket haha.

not selling to buy anything, just I've bought quite a few bits and pieces lately that haven't worked out for me. got a few other things on the way, hopefully no other screw ups on my behalf.

I was going to try and sell my old skull jeans too, but then I realised the crotch area was in worse condition than I remembered :o. I'll keep an eye out for acne hex in your size T icon14.gif