state your beer, drinkers

I think I just saw that Jolly Pumpkin at whole foods in Glendale

If you are talking about Lambicus Dexterius or Perseguidor 5, You didn't, because both sold out at the brew pub within the day (within an hour for Lambicus).

B-Dawg: Lambicus was like $23 for a 750ml and P5 was $9.50 for a 12 ounce.

If you are talking about Lambicus Dexterius or Perseguidor 5, You didn't, because both sold out at the brew pub within the day (within an hour for Lambicus).

B-Dawg: Lambicus was like $23 for a 750ml and P5 was $9.50 for a 12 ounce.

must have been another jolly pumpkin... I think it was actually an american lager something or another... I didn't jump out at me so I didn't get it.

Look what opens today by Self Edge...

http://rosamundesausagegrill.com/

Going tonight with some others to check it out, should be good considering the one they've had next to Toronado has always been good.

Ah, but it is an extension of an SF beer culture staple! :)

A bit of beer pr0n, Bottleworks IX Deviation by Russian River, a blend of Beatification PH1, 002, orphan ale (a RR blending beer used to perfect their sour blends), and Sanctification: Purchased for me by a friend visiting Seattle, and Veritas 004, a blend of 2 different Duck Duck Gooze barrels, Yellow Bus, and Cuvee de Tomme, given to me by Port/Lost Abbey's operations dude.

19639_522104331880_30901258_30972249_4868608_n.jpg

19639_522104416710_30901258_30972257_5204945_n.jpg

helloooooo Monday night!

19370_10100147617235694_2323639_60418688_2013533_n.jpg

is that for a 6 pack!?

and I thought Oaked Bastard was pricey.... But it's gotta be fantastic or else they'd never sell any for that price...

^^ it is fantastic. One of the hoppiests, yet well balanced beers I've ever had, along with Nugget Nectar and Pliny the Elder. The reason for the price is because DIPA's as a style require much more in terms of raw ingredients compared to many other beers, 2-3x the amount of malt and 3-4x the amount of hops as most ales, and also this is a very hyped seasonal release and people are crazy about Hopslam. However, I will agree that it is expensive almost $3/bottle, even if you buy a case in PA.

Will post Hopslam pics soon (yes it's worth it, yes it's awesome; and compared to bombers, more economical), but for now, here's a sampling of what's hit my gut the past month.

From my dad for christmas present. Kentucky represent!

4290017712_4e6e007fc0.jpg

Weak, really for the price.

4289266769_dda9b5e14e.jpg

And HOLY SHIT! This is the best stout I've had pretty much ever. I hope I can get another one soon before they're gone.

4290012688_5bf18a8f74.jpg

^That's the way to go. Straight for something interesting. There is something to be said for making a ton of pale ales as far as learning the process and ingredients is concerned, but I love making stuff you can't buy (or can't buy for a reasonable price).

We put medium toast French oak cubes into our imperial stout and tasted our 7 month old sour brown ale last weekend. The sour has the most beautiful vinous grape/red wine aroma and initial taste, but the finish is that of corn : / Thinking of bottling a gallon of it to see how it develops, and tossing local berries we picked and some fresh wild bugs into the rest.

Drank this with 3 friends the other day. Really good, and it doesn't taste like there's 19.5% ABV. If you want a similar beer and can't locate this beast just get a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Very similar.

ijrn.jpg

It's funny, that same beer crossed my mind earlier when I was discussing making a Cuvee de Tomme inspired beer. Take that, add the complex flavors of Merlot and Bourbon barrel aging with those delicious tart and funky bugs. Mmmmmmm... Feel like I should try a Three Philosophers now since I have not tried one in so long.

It's funny, that same beer crossed my mind earlier when I was discussing making a Cuvee de Tomme inspired beer. Take that, add the complex flavors of Merlot and Bourbon barrel aging with those delicious tart and funky bugs. Mmmmmmm... Feel like I should try a Three Philosophers now since I have not tried one in so long.

I've got mixed feelings about Three Philosophers. The low price point is definitely appealing, but it's a little too sweet and cherry-y for me to drink regularly (which kind of takes away some of the advantage of it being cheaper than most quads).

Still, I pick up a bottle every once in a while. It makes for a nice dessert after a meal.

Anyone going to be around for SF Beer Week? My theoretical itinerary:

2/5/10: Russian River @ 9:00-Pliny the Younger and bottled Supplication release

2/6/10: 2:30-5:30-Alesmith tasting at City Beer Store, 6:00-New Belgium night @ Toronado

2/7/10: 6:00-Port and Lost Abbey @ Toronado

2/8/10: 3:00-Sour Fest @ Triple Rock (Berkeley), 6:00-Rare Moonlight beers @ Bobby G's (down the st.), 6:00-Allagash @ Toronado?

2/9/10: 3:00-9:30-Barrel Aged Fest @ Triple Rock?, 3:00-11:00- Russian River @ Pi Bar (in the Mission), 5:00-Moonlight no hop beers @ Monk's Kettle?, 6:00-Russian River 'tion night @ Toronado