state your beer, drinkers

here i can get any of the delirium varieties for $6.99. also, technically not belgian (but french), the 3 monts i posted earlier was like $7.50. anything from kasteel is in the $7 range. id say as long as you stay away from the chimay's, rochefort's, etc you can find some good deal on belgians. usually the lesser known breweries are cheaper and i haven't really found one i didnt like.

maybe you guys are paying so much because you are in larger cities than i am? i think ohio has cheap alcohol in general tho. the most expensive beers here are in the $10 range for 750ml and those are usually the trappistes. also golden draak is unusually expensive.

^^ what is $7, Belgian, and better than Unibroue?

duvel - mechelen represent!

My brother bought me this:

Very 'meh.' Yeah sure, with fantastic, light, Japanese food it would be great and not the show itself, but nothing impressive and a weird color.

not sure what you're talking about - that's a great beer... although too rich for a "light japanese food" pairing

regarding the $7 belgiums and unibroues, a couple weeks back Trader Joes had their 2009 Vintage ale for $5 a bomber. I seem to remember hearing a couple years ago that it was brewed for TJ's by Unibroue. I didn't like the one I had 2 years ago, but picked up 2 this time around and put them straight in the basement

regarding the $7 belgiums and unibroues, a couple weeks back Trader Joes had their 2009 Vintage ale for $5 a bomber. I seem to remember hearing a couple years ago that it was brewed for TJ's by Unibroue. I didn't like the one I had 2 years ago, but picked up 2 this time around and put them straight in the basement

TJ's vintage ale is brewed by Unibroue.

Beer drinkers in the Los Angeles should check out:

Father's Office

All those places have extensive beer selections from around the world and in every case (save for the Pint) they have excellent food to boot.

I did not like this place because their beers are mirrored to make the selection look good. price also sucks. $8.50 for a pint of Pliny the Elder... I'll pass.

It's on here too for SF Beer Week:

Brewery Night: Russian River Brewing Co.

Rose & Crown Pub

547 Emerson St.

Palo Alto, CA 94301

February 10

6:00pm - 2:00am

Description:

We will be pouring Pliny the Younger, Pliny the Elder, and other Russian River favorites, as well as bottles of different Russian River Sour Ales.

I'm trying to get tickets to the Tartine DFH dinner, it's expensive but seeing those two chefs work in the same kitchen at once is worth the price of admission alone. I can't find a link or anything to buy tickets for any of the events.

Kind of been in a beer trading mode lately... recent hauls:

Deschutes Abyss 09, Mirror Mirror 09, The Dissident

Troegs Flying Mouflan, Java head, Scratch 15

Pigsah Vortex II

Spring House Planet Bean Coffee Stout

Weyerbacher XIII, Old Heathen

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout 08

Alpine Pure Hoppiness, Exponential Hoppiness, Great

Pliny The Elder

Ithaca Brute

Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA

Nectar Ales Nectar IPA

Widmer Bros. '10 Pitch Black IPA

Port Hop-15

Marin White Knuckle DIPA

I was also able to get both of Jolly Pumpkin's recent releases: Lambicus Dexterius and Perseguidor 5 (this morning, actually), because I live in Ann Arbor. I'm hoping to trade some of this stuff for Surly Darkness, Kate The Great, Dark Lord, or a Pliny The Younger growler.

Kind of been in a beer trading mode lately... recent hauls

Alpine Pure Hoppiness, Exponential Hoppiness, Great

Port Hop-15

Marin White Knuckle DIPA

expo taste varies on taste between bottle and draft, however both are good. I couldn't finish great... it was too much for me.

white knuckle is a great DIPA. harder to find in socal but it's always buy when available.

I think I just saw that Jolly Pumpkin at whole foods in Glendale. I picked up some Avery Ellie Brown and a Stone Ruination IPA...

I was actually looking at the Jolly Pumpkin but didn't get it. I'll pick it up next time I'm there.

If anyone wants to join my drinking forum, we talk about new brews too.. and cocktails.