state your beer, drinkers

after more then a few of these, I'm still not convinced it's worth it's price...

the issue is not if it's too expensive. the issue is if it's delicious. tomenugen, what other trappist brews would you compare its flavor to?

the issue is not if it's too expensive. the issue is if it's delicious. tomenugen, what other trappist brews would you compare its flavor to?

i haven't had a pour yet. i was instructed to let it sit for a couple days just so the beer (yeast) can settle from shipment. i've tried a handful of trappist beers and some great domestic renditions (goose island's pere jacques comes to mind). for the a/b/c'ing, i intend to use just my favorites: rochefort 8 and 10. i'll probably throw in a grand reserve as well.

i haven't had a pour yet. i was instructed to let it sit for a couple days just so the beer (yeast) can settle from shipment.

i'm assuming if you're going for this level of exactitude that not only you will be using the westvleteren glass, but you will be letting someone else drink out of the glass and then "washing" it by dipping it into once-soapy water and then using a spout to barely rinse it?

i'm assuming if you're going for this level of exactitude that not only you will be using the westvleteren glass, but you will be letting someone else drink out of the glass and then "washing" it by dipping it into once-soapy water and then using a spout to barely rinse it?

haha i dunno if you're serious or joking but i've always been told to avoid the yeast in these trappiste ales. besides, if i'm paying that much for a bottle, i can at least give a little effort in trying to achieve a proper pour.

Paulaner Salvator -- not bad, but a little too sweet for my taste

North Coast Old Stock Ale, 2007 bottle. ran into a bunch at bevmo. excellent. taste and appearance reminds me of thomas hardy's ale, but more drinkable, more carbonation and seems more balanced to my palate. (Bevmo here has a large stock of Thomas Hardys too)

Paulaner Salvator -- not bad, but a little too sweet for my taste

North Coast Old Stock Ale, 2007 bottle. ran into a bunch at bevmo. excellent. taste and appearance reminds me of thomas hardy's ale, but more drinkable, more carbonation and seems more balanced to my palate. (Bevmo here has a large stock of Thomas Hardys too)

I love their Old Stock. It verges on too sweet, but it's a wonderful barleywine.

I just went to Russian River Brewery and am completely fucking wasted.

How the hell am i supposed to drive to Healdsburg now?

Going to RRB for me was like a Muslim going to Mecca.

It was deep and thoroughly satisfying.

it's good, but delicious? I would rate it at the same level as chimay blue, westmalle double and triple, those kind of beers...

as for comparing it to something, I'm not sure, I think it's close to westmalle double, though not quite the same, I prefer slightly 'lighter' colored beer though in general, like the westmalle triple...

haha i dunno if you're serious or joking but i've always been told to avoid the yeast in these trappiste ales. besides, if i'm paying that much for a bottle, i can at least give a little effort in trying to achieve a proper pour.

I agree, try to avoid the yeast, I always do, that's why I prefer to pour them myself, waiters tend to squeeze the last drop out of the bottle...

tiro, how much is rrp?

local store has it at €3 a bottle, I should really just drive up to the brewery next time though and get a case...

anyone recommend a good lambic as an introduction to the style? i've had all sorts of belgians but i'd like to give this style a try.

if you're just getting into it, you should really give the different types of lindeman's a try. peche and framboise come to mind.

lindemans in belgium (and presumably within the eu) is not as sweet as the stuff imported into the us but even so it's not particularly exciting.

my recommendation for a first go at a sweetened variety would be a kriek by boon, bellevue or (i suppose) mort subite. they're all sweetened in moderation so the essential sourness of the fruit comes through. after that i would try a cassis or geueze. there are traditional brews out there but i assume they're not worth the effort to track down unless you happen to be swinging through belgium

After not drinking blue moon for 3-4 months, i had one the other night because it was cheap. I dont' remember hating blue moon this much, but it was so sweet and thick i couldn't deal with it and gave it to this girl i was with.

• 2 weeks later...