easy to critique painting.

red

im not really a supporter of asking sufu for homework help. and this isnt really the entire assignment. so whatever.

i just need a painting easy to critique. ive got to give a 15 minute critique of a painting to the class and i personally think thats a damn long time to critique a painting. anyways, ive been searching for the perfect painting all week, but havent found it yet, so ive come to sufu to ask.

i just need the name of a good painting which is easy to critique. thats all.

breughel's triumph of death ftw

(you can go on for 15 minutes just going over the various dead people in the picture)

and read up on gertrude stein's lectures on the topic of painting

it will learn you how to talk for a long time just talking about paint

btw, good call on brueghel. here's one of my faves:

bruegel_childrens_games.jpg

i guess you could talk on hours about all the little things people are doing.

I found this painting relatively easy to critique. I had to write about it recently in an art history course I'm taking.

800px-David_-_The_Death_of_Socrates.jpg

It's called the Death of Socrates by Jacque Louis David.

A good painting to compare it to during your presentation is a Burial at Ornans by Gustave Courbet.

Juan Davila.

I saw one of his paintings at the Documenta, and even though I am not very versed on art, there is probably a lot of room for interpretation.

critiquing a painting is more than just a personal interpretation though. a proper written homework normally requires one to cite compare the painting to the zeitgeist and how it relates social/ political climates. its probably easiest to compare a painting in a big movement i.e. impressionism/ cubism etc because there is plenty of writing during those times.

if i were r.ed.... i would do something contemporary like jeff koons or damien hurst where he could critique it from the angle of is it a painting at all and is the artist even the artist or more a director..

Criticize this Duchamp painting (Nude descending a staircase, no 2.). You’ll get to talk about the futurism influence and his involvement in surrealism and dada. He’s like the Iggy Pop of conceptual art (the grandfather of conceptual art).

futurduchamnudedeslggi3.jpg