High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

The last 2 pages blew my mind.

Big up Gnar, Grilled cheese, and everyone else with the flicks.

For the record, I think those Rachel Comey's are disgusting. The profile is gay as all get out, and the price is retarded. I'll stick to my Cardigan she made thank you. Matter of fact, those are the kind of boots that make me want to change the thread title. No disrespect to the poster though, definitly an appropriate contribution...

I don't disagree...after having seen more of them...special thanks to the sole...those are much more fruit than anything else.

Those Nonnative jawns are something pretty though (wish there was a side angle shot and a chance to get em in the US).

Yeah I really wish that someone would start a US Equivalent to Garbstore. I think it might be worth bugging the dudes at Context to get them to look into Mountain Research and Nonnative and the like. They are in a good location for the style and their focus seems to be moving in that direction with their current stocking of WWM/ Krane/ Filson and the like. Ryan or Sam also said they were looking into stocking Engineered Garments so they are certainly looking to Japan...

I would send them an email but I'm not as familiar with the different japanese brands as some of you. Anyone want to shoot them an email with some links?

Yeah I really wish that someone would start a US Equivalent to Garbstore. I think it might be worth bugging the dudes at Context to get them to look into Mountain Research and Nonnative and the like. They are in a good location for the style and their focus seems to be moving in that direction with their current stocking of WWM/ Krane/ Filson and the like. Ryan or Sam also said they were looking into stocking Engineered Garments so they are certainly looking to Japan...

I would send them an email but I'm not as familiar with the different japanese brands as some of you. Anyone want to shoot them an email with some links?

Superconfessional: Sometimes I want to be that dude.

I just shot them an email with some links and shit, If I here back I'll post up the email in here. I might look for a couple other stores to email... it wouldn't hurt to try planting the seed here and there. We should start a sufu grassroots effort to get these brands in America haha.

Oh, and some Gore Windstopper Knickers.

10089386108.jpg

I actually stopped right quick and thought to myself, would I wear these? Progressive, Japanese fashion lederhosen? The answer is no, but I'm willing to admit that they are pretty fresh.

i will wear these. where can i get them?

Not so much boots but in the same aesthetic/ outdoor style. Lots of info about vintage mountaineering/backpacking labels and some interesting pictures too.

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Backpacking-Revolution1.html

SD-60-40Parka1968.jpg1968-Bob-%26-George-SD.jpg

Landav-collage-knickers-par.jpg

Frostline-opti-Kit-complete.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I had a down vest my dad sewed back in the day from a kit...brings back some memories! He also put together a Randall knife from a kit they used to sell...and built his own stereo...a Heathkit I think it was. Damn engineers!

On another note: I picked up a book this weekend at the library called "High on the Wild" about Hemingway's time spent in Idaho. There are lots of really cool photos of him and others wearing some classic gear. Selvage jeans with up turned cuffs, Bean duck boots, mocs...ect. You guys might find it interesting.

Kind of seems a shame to wear out a good pair of Limmer boots walking around town...I'm sure some serious hiker would beat you with their sierra cup. They are classics though. I think the NOLS book mentions them...or at least one of the past editions did....maybe it was "Freedom of the Hills". It's been a while.

i will wear these. where can i get them?

Tell you the truth, you probably can't. Seem to be sold out most everywhere I saw them. Try a google.jp search "white mountaineering gore knickers" and if you find them hit up your local proxy service. You won't find them outside of Japan.

Oh, and they'll cost you about 400 bones if you do find them.

You can, however, cop these crazy dope knit knickers on Y!jp for about that:

misae380-img600x450-1222099909fbspto70270.jpg

Those I might rock - boots, wool socks, waffle knit thermals drawls, knit knickers... Dope.

thats kindof exactly what i'm hoping for . . . stupid everything being in japan :mad:

If you're serious about getting some knickers, many traditionalist hunting gear companies still make them and they're easy to find online. Knickers/breeches/breeks seem to be used interchangeably to label them, though technically they're all different.

eg_wool_outfit.gif

I got some vintage woolrich knickers sitting at the crib. They're sick, but at a waist 27 will probably go better with a chris-style Goth ninja outfit. A good one for the collection none-the-less. Mountain Research had some ill ones I posted in the other thread a bit back.

I'll go on the record as saying i don't fuck with shorts, but I might do some knickers.

Just got my order from Russell and thought I would share some thoughts with the forum:

I would like to preface this by saying that I am by no means an expert on shoes/boots so the quality comments should be taken with that in mind.

I ordered a pair of Signature South 40s from Russell Moccasin with a few custom requests. I wanted the Driftwood Navigator leather in Expresso (I compared swatches to Chromexcel and it seemed nicer to me), a 7" height, no speed lacing, and a Vibram Multipurpose sole. This boot is quite pricey, one of the most expensive they make (except for the exotic leathers), but it came standard with the other options I wanted so it was either this or trick out a Safari PH - I opted for this.

The ordering process started with me getting a catalog - I highly recommend this as the pictures are much better than the website (although still not great), and there is a very helpful foot measuring guide. I got my roommate to measure my feet for me (an arduous task that has to be done by someone else), and after about 20 minutes we split a six pack on me.

After mailing in the order form with my measurements a very nice old sewer named Doug called me up - and woke me up in fact as I am on the west coast and not a morning person. He wanted to go over the specifics of my order and took down the custom requests. It was a good experience, but I emailed them later that day when I was fully awake to make sure we got everything correct - the reply I got was quite grateful that I had checked up to make sure I wouldn't get the wrong order in 4 months.

Then the waiting game started. This is the hard part about ordering from a company like this - if you need instant gratification go to the mall. For the love of god don't punish yourself! The reason I say this is that about a week after my boots were supposed to ship I finally called Russell. They awnsered promptly and asked me for my order number - which of course I didn't have because it was only on the confirmation slip they snail mailed me. They looked up my order by last name but this was onerous so I emailed myself the order number after she found it. *Note to future buyers - put your order number somewhere you will remember. After they located my order I was told that the leather I had requested had been out of stock for a while so my boots had not been cut. :plain: I was then told that the Navigator was due in that week so they would get right on my order. I was given a new ship date.

This date (3 weeks later) was quickly approaching so I decided to be smart (hah!) and call to check up. Lucky that I did because it turns out that now they were out of the Vibram Multipurpose. Being pretty desperate now I switched soles to the Vibram Newporter (not on the website) to speed up the process. This was supposed to fix my problems.

As that ship date rolled around I made another call to ensure my boots were done and shipping and the nice woman told me she would check on them and call me back - this was the morning. Not having heard anything by 4PM their time I called again and spoke with the same woman, who again told me she would check and call back - still heard nothing. The next day I called and spoke to a different girl who kept me on hold and when to the shipping dock, and told me they were shipping out that day. This was last Thursday and I got the boots today.

So, what are my impressions? These are very very nice. The leather is exceptional - thick but supple with a beautify sheen. Stitching seems good all over and the overall feel of the boot exudes quality. The packaging, not so much. For boots north of $400 I would appreciate something more than a cardboard box and a piece of tissue.

Initial fit is excellent (after I realized I told Doug I wore insoles and they built the boots accordingly), but they will require break-in, especially around the ankles. The tongue is attached to the uppers, and it is pretty tight, so getting a foot in is a bit of a challenge. Also, the laces seem a bit short. If I lace to the top eyelet I don't have enough slack to tie a bow. Not sure if they never intended to be laced to the top or if this is an oversight - the second eyelet is fine. Overall they are very comfortable and silent. There are no squeaks and the foot is quite cushioned (good for me as I am a heel striker). Time will tell if they are 'perfect' or not but right now they seem great. Oh and they look bad-ass.

Final Thoughts:

- While I do think Russell could have done a much better job handling my order a couple of things come to mind. Russell Does not use a computer system. They have email etc. but order tracking is done by hand - there is no customer database. So, the reasonable person might say "If they were out of something why didn't they just search the database and call everyone with that order to see if they would rather switch than wait?" one has to understand that they would have to do that manually. Not an excuse, but an explanation. They seem to be operating under the impression that you are more than willing to wait for their product - if not, well they have lots of orders and probably don't need your business. Not to say that they are not nice, they are indeed quite pleasant people, but customer service in order fulfillment is not really their focus.

- The product really does speak for itself. I have seen some pictures of boots made with the standard leathers and I am quite glad that I went with the top of the line. If boots are going to last a lifetime might as well wait a few months right? Don't forget that these are hand made for you, and are as custom as you want them to be.

- Are they worth it? For me, yes. This is the most I have ever spent on shoes/boots but I have feet that are a half size different so going custom is a great option for me. I hated when I was younger and couldn't really spend serious money on shoes for fear that I might outgrow them. As an adult you can really buy things like this for a relatively short period or for the rest of your life - I prefer the latter. That being said, if your foot is easy to fit and off the shelf shoes often do fine for you, the wait might not be worth it. You can find many high quality boots for the same or less money that you can have today. As someone above mentioned, the Russell Sale list on their website is a great place to find good deals on their boots.

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

I'd also like to take this time to point out that it warms my heart that this thread (with it's misleading and basically retarded title) has made it to 26 pages.

Sure it isn't much in the face of APC, Dior, Random thoughts, etc...but this one has substance, and substance my friend, is something I appreciate.

Thanks to all who have contributed and the regulars.

^^ okay your Emmy is in the mail my nillz...hahahahaha.

That being said. Boots. TOUGH BOOTS! NEED 'EM. GIMME GIMME GIMME.

I'm going to sleep now. to dream of boots on my feet...

(did i just fuckeded it up? well I'll take a chance to thank you RBW for making such a killer thread that perhaps only my two "...saved my life" masterpieces, "mid-90's underground hip hop before it was backpacking..." and "QB Hip Hop And Not Nas Or Mobb Deeep", could possibly rival. Also thanks to you people for scouring Yahoo! Japan and RAKUTUKEN or whatever and showing me shit that is nitro fresh and unattainable. You thought, in NYC, anything was possible to get? You thought wrong.)

Well done, Cali. They look absolutely sick. You're stoked.

I've been debating whether or not a custom RM order is for me - my dogs seem to fit an 8D of the shelf pretty well, so I don't really think I need a better fit. I'd probably be more going for custom materials/construction. But this was good info, nonetheless.

Not sure if I missed this in your post - but can you give a quick break down of the entire timeline for the order? Like when you placed the order and how much time passed after each step until you got the boots?

Also, if you don't mind, what did they run you?

I will add that both pair of RMs I own required absolutely no break in perdiod - they were exceptionally soft and wearable out of the box - but I suppose that just depends on the material.

Also, the packaging... c'mon now. What, you want dust bags and shit? Throw that shit out and wear your boots. Though, I would recommend some good shoehorns.