clean and simple dress shoes

lucky_cloud

I love those shoes, exactly my style. Some one mentioned these earlier and I'm seriously considering getting them for 45 pounds. I haven't been able to find shoes like these in Sydney.

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=17551&storeId=12555&categoryId=39001&parent_category_rn=38998&productId=352500&langId=-1

77d41pblklargefc9.jpg

topman shooz r made by the same ppl who make all the weird yesstyle stuff. not h8in, but keep tht in mind.

Cheap chinese made shoes are all right by me. The only place I'd wear shoes like these is work and that will destroy them after a year so there is no way I'd fork out 500 to do that. I wouldn't wear shoes like that anywhere else except the opera, wedding, black tie (even though the Herr's aren't oxfords), and all of those combined happen maybe 5 times a year so still not worth it.

See, that is how you talk yourself out yet another big purchase.

I wouldn't skimp on dress shoes if I were you. And the ones posted aren't what I would call dress shoes. the leather on dress shoes shouldn't be dimpled or have an obvious grain for a start.

You can get a nice pair of Cheaney Oxford's for under £200. And they'll last you years and years.

www.cheaney.co.uk

The Redmond is a good shoe (part of the Signature range and available in black and chestnut)

And the ones posted aren't what I would call dress shoes. the leather on dress shoes shouldn't be dimpled or have an obvious grain for a start.

I've never heard anything about full grain or corrected grain leather not being considered formal. The shoes you suggested are nice, but toecaps? I just don't like toecaps and going by lucky_clouds choice, probably not a big fan either. The only non-toecap balmorals cheaney have are patent lether :( . Why are there so few balmoral oxfords that don't have toe caps?

I've never heard anything about full grain or corrected grain leather not being considered formal. The shoes you suggested are nice, but toecaps? I just don't like toecaps and going by lucky_clouds choice, probably not a big fan either. The only non-toecap balmorals cheaney have are patent lether :( . Why are there so few balmoral oxfords that don't have toe caps?

Hi

Sorry you don't like toecaps - I know what you mean about them but actually you get used to the look and an Oxford is just such a classic shoe. And at least the toe is a slight chisel toe and so looks slightly more modern that your typical toecap shoe.

Also, just have to clarify that for dress shoes they really should be a smooth leather and definitely definitely not a grain or corrected grain shoe. You will find that most quality shoemakers (and they know far more than me about shoes) such as Church's, Cheaney (even though now owned by Prada) Tricker's, Crockett and Jones and so on will all say that leathers with a heavy grain are only used in their "country" ranges. None of them sell a dress shoe with heavy or corrected grain. Why? Because that's not a dress shoe. Sorry but I just had to argue that point - it's an important distinction.

I have just bought a great pair of black boots from Crockett and Jones and the leather is heavily grained (they are a toecap I'm afraid) and whilst they look smarter then your average boot so I can wear them dressed up or down they are NOT and never will be a leather suitable for formal dress and I'd never wear a suit with them...

Best

T

Just to clarify, full-grain refers to a non-sanded leather and is usually of much nicer quality than a corrected grain leather (you can pic cheaper leathers and attain a smooth look by sanding them) and does not imply that the actual grain of the leather is highly visible like in those shoes. In fact those are corrected grain.

Tyler is however correct in saying that visible grain is traditionaly restricted to the country, on the other hand dress codes have rather relaxed in the last decades and you can now wear brown shoes and/or grainy shoes in nearly all environments with no repercussions whatsoever.

hey, thanks for the tips everybody. i've looked at those s2a shoes before and they seem pretty nice, but they're sold out in my size everywhere i've looked and if what airportlobby says is true, they're not what i want anyway. its true that i'm not a fan of cap-toes.

those ymc shoes are very nice indeed, and getting closer to something i could afford.

I wouldn't skimp on dress shoes if I were you. And the ones posted aren't what I would call dress shoes. the leather on dress shoes shouldn't be dimpled or have an obvious grain for a start.

You can get a nice pair of Cheaney Oxford's for under £200. And they'll last you years and years.

www.cheaney.co.uk

The Redmond is a good shoe (part of the Signature range and available in black and chestnut)

not true what about brushed calfskin, even dressier. also what about brogues? i also woulnt skimp on dress shoes.

Last night i wore my Hugo boss shoes out to a nightclub, not a good idea :(

[quote name=Remy;711153

Last night i wore my Hugo boss shoes out to a nightclub' date=' not a good idea :([/quote]

that exactly why this post exists to find dress shoes that you can where out to a club and if they get fucked its no big deal. so where are the cheap shoes that look nice?

• 2 weeks later...

homi, have you tried david's on bay/bloor? they have some good stuff there. the better quality/looking ones are in the 300+ area though.

i just got these CK oxford's. they're good enough for what i'm going to use them for and the price was alright.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000VTRBRA/ref=dp_colorn_0/002-7579524-1941660?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&img=0&color%5Fname=Black

but wouldnt mind the acne herr if i had the money for them.

the first one is really nice eastcoastrider27

If you're not looking for an investment piece, you can find cheap beaters with decent styling on ebay if you look around.