shit you hate

RedFoxxworth

now that's fucked up

It's not, to a certain degree.

Every piece of hardware sold by Apple has the standard one-year limited warranty. In order to extend it, you have to purchase AppleCare extended warranty before the limited warranty expires. That will extend it for another one or two years.

macs for the most part are still pretty relible. I've used both side by side (pc and mac) and pc has given me plenty of blue screen of death. my mac on the other hand, nothing so far..and it's been 5 years.

I've had blue screen maybe like 2 or 3 times when I was a child

been on same shit PC for years now and not 1 single bluescreen. shit has crashed, but I make recovery disks and shit. tons of people I know have problems with macs, fewer complain about PC's, but for the most part, people using PC's still generally know their shit, so crashes/other bullshit can be avoided

idk, for the most part, i really like macs. when i was younger i went through 2 desktop pcs and they've had tons of problems that i couldn't fix waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before they just died on me. i just kinda had to learn how to get around their stupid problems versus having a mac where i can just take it to the genius bar where they'll just fix it. SOMEONE ELSE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN. that is what i like.

if you're not a dumb girl you can fix your own computer

i hate those stupid people using their bicycle bell (or whatever it's called) in front of my house at lunch time. i thought my pizza was already baked.

Two rants, first apple:

Ok, I grew up with apples. I'm talking Mac 128k -> 512k -> 1MB upgrades. I owned powerpcs, I owned motorolas. So I understand the draw. I switched to a PC when I was 18 because my parents wouldn't shell out the $2500 necessary to buy me a new mac to go to college.

I work in IT. I have been using unix variants for over 15 years. I'm just as comfortable using a mac as I am using a rack-mounted FreeBSD machine or an ES40 running System V or a windows 2003 server. I am also no huge fan of microsoft - they fuck things up frequently.

All that said, Apple gets all this love from people who basically like them for aesthetics. Now, I understand that a computer is an object and as such can be aesthetically pleasing or not. But buying a computer solely for the way it LOOKS is lame.

I know people will bust out with the arguments about windows crashing, but you know what? If you do 15 minutes of work when you first get a PC and install a handful of free software packages you'll never have a problem. "Well I just buy a mac and use it!" You say? Do you buy a car and just "use it?" NO! You have to go through some mandatory driving lessons and learn what the fuck you're doing. Having worked in IT for so long, my feeling is that owning a computer is at least as dangerous as owning a car. So learn how to use it!

Again, there's nothing really wrong with macs, but they engender this rampant fanboyism which borders on Religious Ecstasy and is totally undeserved. Lets see:

- WAY overpriced. Ok, maybe in the powerpc era you could argue that the hardware really was better, but now that the run on Intel and you can compare apples to apples (pun intended), there's absolutely NO excuse for selling a machine that is 30-40% more money for less power.

- Apple knows best. This comes in many varieties, but the most heinous are: a) Limited configurations: want a laptop with more than 2GB of ram? Sorry! B) any fix requires mailing the computer to apple. sure you can bring it to the "genius" at the apple store (if you live near one!) but if your problem is a sufficiently difficult one, then there is only ONE PLACE worldwide that can fix your machine and it lives in cupertino california.

- Ok, so the O/S. People LOVE to brag about the O/S. You know what? It's unix. A rather boring version of unix, with an extremely annoying X11 implementation. Also it's rather insecure, and not in the emotional sense. It doesn't get viruses, true, but it's riddled with buffer overflow holes and the like. Check this out: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222. Apple (like M$) is constantly finding problems with its O/S which cause security vulnerabilities and patching them. My favorite is this one: CVE-2008-3623. VIEWING AN IMAGE MAY ALLOW SOMEONE TO EXECUTE CODE ON YOUR MAC WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

Ok, some people like macs, I get that. It's fine if you want to buy one, but do so for the right reasons and with your eyes open. Apple does not make machines which are inherently superior in any way, they're obscenely overpriced and the operating system is in my opinion mediocre at best. Last I checked there are still TONS more software titles for windows, AND plenty of software which wont run on MacOS at all, especially in the world of medicine...

/rant (the first)

Rant the second:

This is the view from my bedroom window"

3406378023_5af74d2761.jpg

I love being able to see the bridge out my window, and I love being able to sleep with the windows open and get the lovely fresh air off the river as opposed to most of the crappy NYC air.

But once in a while, my evil nemesis shows up, invariably at 9am in the morning on a beautiful saturday when my wife and I are sleeping happily with the bedroom window open.

On that lovely saturday, I will suddenly hear the sound of a thousand unmuffled tailpipes, screaming low D at 85dB. I am speaking, my friends, of the motorcycle convoy:

img.264286_t.jpg

Always on the upper roadway, and they get clearance from the Port Authority to CLOSE THE ROADWAY TO CAR TRAFFIC so it is literally nothing but hogs for maybe an hour continuously. Now, I own a motorcycle (in vermont) and I like to ride it. But I also use a fucking muffler, especially early in the morning, and especially if I am riding with friends.

Two rants, first apple:

Ok, I grew up with apples. I'm talking Mac 128k -> 512k -> 1MB upgrades. I owned powerpcs, I owned motorolas. So I understand the draw. I switched to a PC when I was 18 because my parents wouldn't shell out the $2500 necessary to buy me a new mac to go to college.

I work in IT. I have been using unix variants for over 15 years. I'm just as comfortable using a mac as I am using a rack-mounted FreeBSD machine or an ES40 running System V or a windows 2003 server. I am also no huge fan of microsoft - they fuck things up frequently.

All that said, Apple gets all this love from people who basically like them for aesthetics. Now, I understand that a computer is an object and as such can be aesthetically pleasing or not. But buying a computer solely for the way it LOOKS is lame.

I know people will bust out with the arguments about windows crashing, but you know what? If you do 15 minutes of work when you first get a PC and install a handful of free software packages you'll never have a problem. "Well I just buy a mac and use it!" You say? Do you buy a car and just "use it?" NO! You have to go through some mandatory driving lessons and learn what the fuck you're doing. Having worked in IT for so long, my feeling is that owning a computer is at least as dangerous as owning a car. So learn how to use it!

Again, there's nothing really wrong with macs, but they engender this rampant fanboyism which borders on Religious Ecstasy and is totally undeserved. Lets see:

- WAY overpriced. Ok, maybe in the powerpc era you could argue that the hardware really was better, but now that the run on Intel and you can compare apples to apples (pun intended), there's absolutely NO excuse for selling a machine that is 30-40% more money for less power.

- Apple knows best. This comes in many varieties, but the most heinous are: a) Limited configurations: want a laptop with more than 2GB of ram? Sorry! B) any fix requires mailing the computer to apple. sure you can bring it to the "genius" at the apple store (if you live near one!) but if your problem is a sufficiently difficult one, then there is only ONE PLACE worldwide that can fix your machine and it lives in cupertino california.

- Ok, so the O/S. People LOVE to brag about the O/S. You know what? It's unix. A rather boring version of unix, with an extremely annoying X11 implementation. Also it's rather insecure, and not in the emotional sense. It doesn't get viruses, true, but it's riddled with buffer overflow holes and the like. Check this out: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222. Apple (like M$) is constantly finding problems with its O/S which cause security vulnerabilities and patching them. My favorite is this one: CVE-2008-3623. VIEWING AN IMAGE MAY ALLOW SOMEONE TO EXECUTE CODE ON YOUR MAC WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

Ok, some people like macs, I get that. It's fine if you want to buy one, but do so for the right reasons and with your eyes open. Apple does not make machines which are inherently superior in any way, they're obscenely overpriced and the operating system is in my opinion mediocre at best. Last I checked there are still TONS more software titles for windows, AND plenty of software which wont run on MacOS at all, especially in the world of medicine...

/rant (the first)

______/

[quote name=blm14;1819181

- Ok' date=' so the O/S. People LOVE to brag about the O/S. You know what? It's unix. A rather boring version of unix, with an extremely annoying X11 implementation. Also it's rather insecure, and not in the emotional sense. It doesn't get viruses, true, but it's riddled with buffer overflow holes and the like. Check this out: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222. Apple (like M$) is constantly finding problems with its O/S which cause security vulnerabilities and patching them. My favorite is this one: CVE-2008-3623. VIEWING AN IMAGE MAY ALLOW SOMEONE TO EXECUTE CODE ON YOUR MAC WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

/rant (the first)

I hate how macs require reboots for updates for almost every app, lib, etc

It's not, to a certain degree.

Every piece of hardware sold by Apple has the standard one-year limited warranty. In order to extend it, you have to purchase AppleCare extended warranty before the limited warranty expires. That will extend it for another one or two years.

three actually

two for ipods

I don't know if you can purchase AppleCare for iPhone but I'll find out today!

I hate how applecare is almost useless

you bring your laptop the apple store and they blame you for widely known issues like powerbook overheating and warping and refuse service, yet replace your damn ipod headphones everytime they break.

Apple have always treated me well. I had a lot of trouble with a Powerbook G4 while I had it and they always fixed it up pretty quick enough, but then when it finally completely died 6 months after the Applecare warranty ran out and I rang them up to ask their advice about the best course of action, they ended up giving me a brand new Macbook Pro for absolutely nothing.

May have said this before, but I have to say it again. I fucking hate people who work at a hospital or dentist's or doctor's office who wear their fucking scrubs out, as an outfit. What the fuck? Especially the ones that look like pajamas, the flannel ones with teddy bears brushing their teeth prints or whatever. Isn't the whole point of wearing that shit that it's supposed to be sterile? What the fuck are they doing at starbucks or Chipotle's or Philips66 dressed like that?

^^^wait you mean like when you are on your period and your blood splatters all over your legs because of the airy design of sweat pants?

yeah I hate that

women in fitted hats

women have hard time pulling off good hat look besides beanie

women in christian audigier rhinestone trucker hat and bloody (or PINK, or JUICY) sweatpants is hot though. would jizz on most

being sick. tried to go to bed at 11, only to lay in bed shivering until 2, where I got up, ran to bathroom, puked guts out until I was dry heaving. went back to bed, only to lay down wondering whether I was freezing or burning, until 430 where I ran back, puked said guts out again. Decided to fuck trying to sleep, camping out in front of the TV with a trash can watching Hopscotch (at least its a great movie)

fucking east village drunks who seemingly never stop belting out some god awful rendition of whatever songs they sing at all hours of the night/morning.

seriously, i hear them non stop into the morning until the sun is fully up at 7am.

being sick. tried to go to bed at 11, only to lay in bed shivering until 2, where I got up, ran to bathroom, puked guts out until I was dry heaving. went back to bed, only to lay down wondering whether I was freezing or burning, until 430 where I ran back, puked said guts out again. Decided to fuck trying to sleep, camping out in front of the TV with a trash can watching Hopscotch (at least its a great movie)

feel you on this. I hate that feeling of like I wanna throw up but can't, lodged in your throat, wish I could just throw up already and get it over with.

waking up hella late like at 3 days basically over but i aint got shit to do anyways summer concept

people who dont reply texts till hours after but at least they replied right?

sometimes I don't get a text MSG right away cos I lose signal underground or I fall asleep, taking a nap midday..am working, etc.

but I always return texts as soon as I can :o