Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

^congrats, dude. Keep it up!

So... I fucked up my knee (85% sure it's an IT band issue) in early June, and last night was the first time I've completed a run without any pain since then. It was a relatively chill 4 miler, but i did pick up the pace in the second half and I sprinted the last hundred meters or so. Hopefully, this means I'll be able to get back into some serious mileage in the next few months.

Also, I've been running in the Saucony Hattori lately. I thought I'd try out the minimalist thing while I'm doing super low mileage. I haven't run much more than 4 or 5 miles in them, but they actually feel really good, and I haven't had any issues other than calf soreness. If you can find them for cheap, I like them because they're really comfortable, you can wear socks with them, and they're easier to get on than vibrams.

• 2 weeks later...

ok having a dilemma here.

I started to train for a half marathon and currently my longest distance is 6 miles, but aimed at 8 a couple times. I run with nike free run +2 (mind you, this is my first time taking running seriously).

But my arch on my left food starting to ache after my 8 mile run. At first I thought it was normal since I wasn't use to this distance, but after a week's rest it happened after another 8 mile run.

i know there are some L.A stores like top to top and front runner that can help and possibly pick out a right show for me (if my shoe is the problem)

anyone else in L.A have another store suggestion?

and any advice to what I am doing wrong and how to correctly fix this?

aren't frees supposed to be trainers? for occasional 'break' from real running shoes.

i think if you go to a good running store, they can look at your form and give you some pointers that you wouldn't have noticed unless you were filming yourself.

sorry for generic answer...

get rid of free's for sure or you'll end up with stress fractures or a bunch of other injuries. they have very little support and are pretty rubbish for running. asics and brooks are your best bet for proper runners, if you want to run trails you can't go wrong with salomon.

came back from several running stores.

here's what i am looking at:

YOUR PERFECT SHOE CATEGORY: Neutral

YOUR PERFECT SIZE: 8 WIDTH: D

Too bad they didn't send me any of the vidoes of me running on the treadmill or any of the other test I did but pretty much I have:

-high arches

-I run like a duck, my feet points outward,

-and i have a slight, JUST A SLIGHT, bend at the ankles.

what i don't get is buying a shoe and then having custom insoles with it. I went to this one store called road runner sports in Torrance,CA and they had me do all this shit and even made this custom insole for me to put in every shoe I tried on. Then I asked why can't I just buy the insole and put these in my nike frees?

i didn't walk out with a shoe, or an $80 custom insole. Made up some excuse that I will come back tomorrow. All i needed to find out was what kind of shoe i needed hahaha

their suggestions were (only through their store inventory):

1. Brooks Ghost 5

2. Nike Air Pegasus +29

3. Mizuno Wave Rider 15

4. Asics Gel-cumulus 14

5. Asics Gel-Excel33

6. Nike Zoom Elite+5

9/15/2012:

decided to buy the neon Nike pegasus +29 over the Asics Cumulus 13. such a hard decision, but i am an avid nike fan and it was hard to change. but i have to say the asics felt a little more comfortable than the nikes.

did i make a bad choice?

Edited by mr.invincible

• 4 weeks later...

just finished my first half-marathon. it was....awesome...

just crossing that finish line felt like a big accomplishment. At 11/12 mile mark i was ready to give up wanted to walk the rest, but I kept telling myself to power through, just power through.

LBHalf-Marathon2012-02-1.jpg

Edited by mr.invincible

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not a fan of frees, but i do know a guy who is a great runner, with great form [forefoot striker], who owns newtons and some other minimal shoes, but still prefers his frees. don't know what version he has though.

i've been doing the forefoot strike thing for years and i really like my newtons.

developed some achilles tendinosis after a 12 miler with a lot of climbing and it's taking forever to heal, so i can't do shit right now and i'm supposed to be running a half marathon in less than a month. :/

i really question "the perfect/great form" for running. I know there's a lot of sources that says this and that is good for your running, but I feel there's really no solid, concrete facts that's best.

instead of developing an out of norm form, I say stick with whatever form we began with. I am not a pro or anything and I am still learning, but there's a lot of info out there that could just be overwhelming to beginners. I feel comfortable with how I run now given that I have purchased the right shoes (nike pegasus) and will not change otherwise.

and good luck on your half marathon, Rob060

Edited by mr.invincible

i really question "the perfect/great form" for running. I know there's a lot of sources that says this and that is good for your running, but I feel there's really no solid, concrete facts that's best.

instead of developing an out of norm form, I say stick with whatever form we began with. I am not a pro or anything and I am still learning, but there's a lot of info out there that could just be overwhelming to beginners. I feel comfortable with how I run now given that I have purchased the right shoes (nike pegasus) and will not change otherwise.

and good luck on your half marathon, Rob060

i consciously changed my running form 6-7 years ago before the whole minimal/natural/barefoot running stuff came about, before shoe companies were making footwear designed for it. i thought about how sprinters focused so much on the most efficient form and landed and pushed off with the same part of the foot and essentially started doing that for distance running. it felt a whole lot more fluid, efficient and made me feel more agile and faster. it also felt better for my knees since i wasn't landing with a straight leg on the heel and was using the arches of my feet, as well as my knees in a better way to absorb the impact. i think it's popular enough now that there is plenty of research and evidence to show its benefits if you look for it. i haven't bothered scouring the web for scientific testing or anything because my own testing was enough for me. form has always been a big part in preventing long term injuries and improving speed and efficiency. it doesn't mean everyone that heel strikes is going to hurt themselves or can't run fast, though.

• 2 weeks later...

first post,

I always start running for a few weeks and then stop because I get too busy, so I never really get any progress in my running. I just started running again a week ago and now I want to continue it for at least 5 days a week and not try to stop after just a few weeks. I usually run 4-5 miles at in around 35-40min. I'm trying to increase mileage by a mile or two a week. This is my progress so far, as it is getting colder I need to buy some gear, what kind of pants do you recommend, I was thinking about going for jogging tights because I don't really like running with wider sweat pants because it disturbes me, but skinny pants would be okay I guess, but the jogging thights are keeping the muscles warmer I guess, so I don't wanna get much into detail, I've just been a nice weather runner so a few tips would be very appreciated.

Good on u dude. Just keep plugging away, even if u don't feel like running one day just go for less time intensive like hill sprints or some intervals. Should break up the boredom and help you gain distance, aerobic capacity and muscle strength.

Full length compression tights are pretty good for two reasons. They are warmer and help keep a bit of the water etc off but they also help recovery (for me anyway) my musclrs never really get as sore. They are good in summer post run to put on when u go to bed or rest.

First post in this thread. I've been running since this Summer and had a hip injury in late August from a really stupid form experiment I did that sat me out for 6 weeks. Not to mention it was painful just to walk for about 2 (and I have to walk a mile to and from class everyday...at least I got some hydrocodone out of it). Anyway, I'm up to six miles now having started in mid-October, but think I would be making better progress with different shoes. It's really embarrassing to admit what I'm running in right now, so I won't. I'm planning on getting some new shoes though and want to have an idea before I go to a store. I know they can tell me whats good, but they won't be picking out what's looks good too. Are there any good Nike's? If not, are there any good running shoes that actually look good?

First post in this thread. I've been running since this Summer and had a hip injury in late August from a really stupid form experiment I did that sat me out for 6 weeks. Not to mention it was painful just to walk for about 2 (and I have to walk a mile to and from class everyday...at least I got some hydrocodone out of it). Anyway, I'm up to six miles now having started in mid-October, but think I would be making better progress with different shoes. It's really embarrassing to admit what I'm running in right now, so I won't. I'm planning on getting some new shoes though and want to have an idea before I go to a store. I know they can tell me whats good, but they won't be picking out what's looks good too. Are there any good Nike's? If not, are there any good running shoes that actually look good?

i don't think that's true as it depends on what they have in stock. They only suggest you shoes that works best for your running style. And since stores carry a limited range of running shoes, go to a store, get your running style diagnosed (get your arches check, do you need neutral shoes or more support?, etc) and then go to http://runningwarehouse.com/ to see pretty much all the shoes you can possibly buy for your type. I think runningworld has a good database too. Be sure to go to two different stores to get a second opinion just to make sure the conclusion lines up.

got some gyakusou shorts but they are the first runnin shorts i've had without mesh/elastic material built in to prevent ball chafe etc. any rec's for stuff to wear under them (not full length tights)

These are what you need:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-capilene-1-stretch-boxer-briefs-underwear?p=32470-0-602

I use them for running, soccer, hiking--anything active. They are flawless.

Went to a store and finally got some better shoes. I tried on several but the Nike Air Pegasus felt the best (and easily looked the best too). I've never really been all that careful, but am trying to avoid injury now. About how often should I limit myself to running every week? The furthest I've run in one stretch so far is 6 miles (that was a few weeks ago, though), but I'd like to ideally work up to ~12 miles. Not each time I run, but build up my endurance so I can occasionally.

Also, any good recommendations for leggings, or do they all pretty much do the trick the same? Just thinking of something simple, cheap and comfortable. Starting to actually get a bit cold here and it might be a bit useful to have them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just look for some plans to work up. Most importantly if your sore it's probably best to skip a day. Try increasing your weekly mileage not mileage each run, that way you can vary it during the week and be more flexible with weather and recovery.

preventing injury is IMO, more linked to proper warming up and cooling down, stretching and rolling. Seriously foam rollers are amazing , PVC pipe works just as well but hurts like woah the first couple times. Especially on your ITB

Most tights will do what you need, compression has added benefit but are expensive than just thermal tights. Most importantly make sure they fit well and dont fuck up your crotch.

Nike has some cheap ones, 2xu and skins are both brands I have used as well. Both the 80 and 120 dollar pairs I have had have been pretty decent.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any tips on making my 17:00 2-mile to around 15:30 in about 30 days, if even possible? As you can tell, I'm an extremely slow runner. I'm pretty short and stocky, 5'5 and about 154lb, and I never really enjoyed running but I think it partly has to do with the way I walk/run which is weird. Can someone recommend a routine that's 5-6 days a week? I lift regularly without much cardio, too. I was thinking cut a bit of weight and do a mixture of short faster runs and then a distance run or two?

Thanks in advance

Does anyone have any tips on making my 17:00 2-mile to around 15:30 in about 30 days, if even possible?

Thanks in advance

Well if stamina is your problem, don't sprints help? I.e spending an hour doing short 30 second sprints? There's a bunch of stuff on the internet detailing the process, it's supposed to help a lot with stamina. If going slow if your problem try jogging in front of a mirror to see if you have any problems with your posture.

been running for years and never really bothered with timing myself, but got one of those garmin watches for christmas and it's pretty cool to see all the data afterward.

longest run i've done since getting it is a 6 miler at 6:50ish mile pace. slowly getting rid of this achilles tendinosis that flared up again after my last half marathon.

Edited by Rob060

Not long distance, but when I train for 200m (my current event) my team hardly runs the 200m, but rather the 250m and 150m are used more in our program.

Basically do shorter sprints for speed, longer runs for stamina.

Edited by DJ_Flame