The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

Nice King's. I've been rocking mine for about 2 months and I think you confirmed my suspicion that lap fades seem to be impossible on these bastards. Looks my jeans have an extended date with the palms of my hands.

Thanks dwg and others.

You're right though. Get those palms working overtime, 'cus I rub my thighs a helluva lot, and can't believe how little they've faded.

However, I think it's kind of a good thing, because that resistance seems found in the crotch and on the ass. Comparitively little wear on the butt, and a crotch that's holding up really well even though I sag these things.

They're a really strong jean and really not prone to a quick fade.

Makes me wonder exactly what Serge had to do to get these results.

ok, here are my imperial kings. i purchased them at febuary 06, so it will make them about 12 months in a few weeks. i wore these intensely for about 8 months, before i started working on other jeans. i washed them once at 6 months (soak and cold wash), a cold soak at 8 months and 10 months. these are now my weekend jeans that i can bum around in, and thanks to the looser fit its great for the australian summer

front

img66650kz.jpg

closeup of whiskers

img66661id.jpg

back

img66673xg.jpg

backpocket fade (the fade came from a leather magic wallet, the one with elastic pieces tthat hold notes together)

img66706dn.jpg

leather patch (when it came to the first soak, the sizing actually stained the leather path, but subsequent washed and exposure to the sun has lead to a more uniform tan)

img66718ql.jpg

ankle stacking, kinda (i wore these too long because i was unsure about shrinking in the leg, i really didnt have to worry though)

img66683qe.jpg

img66693vl.jpg

and here is the crotch being damaged to hell. it got to the point when the felled seams burst apart and had to be resewn together. if you look closely you can see the different coloured thread

img66726zn.jpg

so yeah, im pleased with the results. the thing is that it is subsequent washes that really bring out the wear, so just keep doing your thing

lol, well i did some biking and running in the kings as part of my obsession to get a high contrast fade. along the way the waist stretched and i ended up wearing them quite low and no matter how tight i wore them with a belt, they would slide downwards. so that really affected the breakdown of the seams.

im not sure how anyone could really tear apart their backpockets (though i do recall someone with a pair of skulls that developed a busted seam), unless they habitually grind their behinds on some limestone walls to get further fades on the seat ...

about the refelling, im sure the tailor didnt do it. she more like crossed stitched over the unravelled parts. if you see the darker denim bits, it is the underneath felled seam that she just stitched with some denim behind it to give it the appearance of thickness. i would have loved to have them refelled, but im not sure if there was a tailor in perth (australia) that could do it for a reasonable price

Calatrava those are looking great. I especially like the whiskers on the thighs and by the knees. Plus that back pocket stitching fades great - like it starts to fade out, but you can still see it. Great look.

so yeah, im pleased with the results. the thing is that it is subsequent washes that really bring out the wear, so just keep doing your thing

Oh and that advice is spot on. I wanted to put my Kings on the sidelines while I work on some Skulls, but now I don't really think I can.

Gawjus, gawjus, gawjus!

Did these shrink lengthwise for you after the soak? What are you moving on to? I seem to recall you having a pair of PBJs. How're those looking?

no, im actually gonna make a big bed spread....several of them. sute, ima try to do a pictorial like ande did a while back. trying to get started this weekend. on another note, anyone know where i can get some rivets and or buttons online? or from some of yalls?