dyeing jeans

Amada

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nicely done, also curious to know how it fades on denim. I've dyed several shirts in which good dyes stick very well, but denim is of course very different and also gets different wear than shirts.

That's really cool. How did the patch manage to turn black and keep the red ink?

basic DIY dye like that usually sticks to natural fibers, like cotton and seemingly on leather as well. the ink is some chemical, so it of course stays red. the packets should say what fabrics it works with.

because of this, theres a chance stitching will not take the color if its nylon or something else, but in Epic's case it was cotton so it turned darker as well.

hmm, when you say stir every 5-10 minutes, does that mean for an hour, or just a few more times until you let it sit for that hour?

those turned out great epic, kudos.

Yes, keep stirring for the rest of the hour. Also if you're OCD, you might want to pull apart the seams a bit to let the dye seep in and dye those threads (if cotton threads that is). Under the hem too.

yes, i think they are polycotton.

thats one of the things i regretted about overdying mine was the threading. Due to the contrast of orange stitching + black denim on my diors....ended up selling the pair. but nicely done totally_epic, they look great, im gonna be overdying an old pair of my veggie dye S&S Daniels that i never wear anymore...what color should i dye though???

So..I overdyed a pair of vintage levis redlines with rit dye cause I got sick of the color and wanted to try something new. I did'nt want them to be pitch black, but sort of like a black blue gray color. I dyed them in my washing machine with one bottle of Rit on Medium fill with a cup of Salt. DSC02479.jpg

Before:DSC02478.jpgDSC02477.jpgDSC02476.jpg

After:DSC02485.jpgDSC02484.jpgDSC02480.jpg

I think the last pic represents the color best (its almost black the flash makes it look blueish)

Ill take better pics soon, they don't do the jeans justice...

fndmybetterhalf those look great. however around the lap area the texture of the weave seems to look a bit worn/fuzzy?

It's worn but not fuzzy. Areas that previously took on some wear dyed differently hence the variation in color (most apparent in the hem with the roping effect).

one way that ive heard works is you take elmers white glue and basically brush it on and let it dry on your jeans evenly. with that, you then iron your jeans. i've never tried it and its never been confirmed that it works.

other than that, another way is i've heard someone using "shoe wax" to coat their jeans. i have no clue wat shoe wax is so ive never tried it.

but from what i know, most companies use resin to coat their jeans. no idea how but thats about all i know

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know what kind of wax to get if I wanted to put a wax coat over my overdyed jeans? Thanks

4282fwaxjpg

Go here:

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/clothing/fjallraven-greenland-wax.htm

I was thinking about doing a gray dye job to these:

60A50C49E2.jpg

C07A7E54E5.jpg

I just want to get rid of the intense contrast presented by that shitty fading. i want them to still have a hint of blue. any tips?

• 6 months later...

I just came across a blogger that used the over dying process on some denim using a mix of black and indigo. The color actually looks pretty sweet.

I think I'm gonna go head to wal-mart tomorrow and pick me up some dye and use it on an old pair of 514's. I'm probably going to get some of that wax to hold in the colour. Will post pics when finished.

• 4 months later...

So, in an effort to better jean consumption, I feel there should be a thread dedicated entirely to OD Black Jeans of all sorts - skinny, slim, regular, baggy, etc.

Notable examples:

Cheap Monday OD Skinny

OAK OD Skinny (they did slim and tapered versions)

Levi's 501 OD

Levi's 505 OD

Uniqlo T-000 OD

Uniqlo S-000 OD

RAF by Raf OD

feel free to contribute pics/information in an effort to better help serve the public.

Also - help me find more black OD jeans with inseams greater than 34. Cool.

Mmmmm - good idea - though most repro companies will not be too hot on OD'd denim - personally you may as well do it yourself - the only issue is poly-cotton... which wont soak up the dye..... and yellow stitching on black jeans is a love it or hate style - for most people the latter???? Ive often been tempted to get some s5000bk ( again ), or somet 031bk/008bk as both have black threads and overdye them for that midnight noir shitz.....

But a lot of 'repros' use poly core thread - I presume the poly will not show through and the cotton on the outiside would soak up the dye - this may look ill.

( To be clear - cotton will dye, poly does not hold it so well- hence the original colour still showing.. )

I od'd my APCs will a dylon brown - came out looking dope. When my PBJs are worn a little bit more im tempted to dye em a different shade of brown, or maybe try grey..

Rick Owens also makes great overdyed and waxed jeans.... ive got 2 or 3 pairs of em, pretty cool.

Next time I get chance im going to try dyeing a pink cashmere sweater dark grey.

HJJ - told me Full Count make an overdyed jean but I can never find it....

Im sure that Nom De Guerre do one too...

The nicest i've ever seen are Iron Heart's 634s-B..

They came out 2.5 years ago, they made about 100 of them...

The few i've seen worn in look surreal.. AYN has a pair that he's worn in quite well.

DSC05067-714565.JPG

Shit, thats a beautiful grey/dirt patina they've gotten. Anymore pics Kiya?

That's actually a new pair!

Andrew, post up some photos...

I actually don't have any recent photos of my 634S-B, I just started wearing them again last week, will take and post some pics when I get a chance. The most worn pair I've seen in person were Matt's, they've probably disintegrated by now though.

• 1 month later...
The nicest i've ever seen are Iron Heart's 634s-B..

They came out 2.5 years ago, they made about 100 of them...

The few i've seen worn in look surreal.. AYN has a pair that he's worn in quite well.

DSC05067-714565.JPG

Kiya, couldn't one just over-dye a pair of Iron Heart 634's black to get the same affect (Minus the nice and tan leather patch)?

Those are gorgeous. And an aside.. how are the IH Super Blacks achieving the super black?

as requested

better pics. (sorta)

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

and i didnt feel like rewriting but this is the message i sent to knugget

" i just used black Rit dye (the liquid version) and a big pot to mix and boil the denim. First off i let the water get warm enough then i poured the whole bottle (instructions said to use half) then i just let it boil. after that, i put the jeans in and constanly stirred for 20 to 30 minutes then i took em out let them cool down then i did it again. after they cooled i tossed them in a bucket with cold water to get the excess dye out then tossed em in the dryer.

oh ya wear gloves! haha my hands were purple for a good minute and dont get too close to it, the steam from the water irritates the eyes (well for me at least)"

oh and if you wanna save the patch... cut it off and resew after. i was gunna do that but got lazy and remembered mid stir.