pima cotton - why dont more designers use it?

some of my favorite tees are made of pima cotton, but i can only wear them around the house as the shape is all messed up from washing and there are some tiny nicks and holes in the shirts from every little snag (plus the fact they have nasty ass pit stains). Bottom line, I wouldn't pay more than $5-$10 for such a tee that while feels great, would become unwearable in public so soon.

I also agree that they are comfy as hell. So light and soft, perfect for hot summer days. However, although comfy, they don't last we long / retain the shape of the clothing itself over time after a few washes.

does it make any difference if you wash it on delicate in one of those mesh bag thingies?

does it get bent out of shape like a cool, vintage-looking well-worn thing, or bent out of shape like sloppy?

p.s. adam+eve does pima

i have a couple pieces that have held their shape well so far, but haven't been subjected to much washing/'wear

i hope they don't end up all fucked up

What the hell do you guys do to your t-shirts that mess them up so badly? I have several of Lad Musician's pima t-shirts, all of which have been through multiple washes (delicate cold/hang dry, although some have also been accidentally washed on high or put in the dryer) and traveled in, and they remain perfectly wearable. I love pima cotton.

429 also makes pima t-shirts.

What makes pima cotton soft is length of the fibers (just like cashmere). It is not the properties of the fiber/fabric that causing the problems people are talking about (losing shape, holes, etc), but more likely the gauge (thickness) of the fabric and/or any washing treatment the garment has gone through before you purchased it and/or afterwards.

• 4 months later...