Stores in Tokyo And Not in New York

ericdw

The yen should be in your favor dude... not as much as last month, but it's defintely good to be exchanging anything for yen nowadays, it's pretty shit. I used to get about 106Y for 1000KRW when i'd go to Japan. I think today I'd get 128Y for the same.

Anyhow, yeah, about 90% of the stuff in Japan is worth buying if you're gonna compare it to NYC, clothes-wise. Doesn't take much to figure out that you buy Japanese labels and not imports. You can even get your VAT refunded at the airport at some places!

also, a lot of quality japanese clothes are made in japan, and sometimes, are specified as made in hokkaido, tokyo, etc.

remember - japanese labour is amongst the most expensive in the world. if it's made in japan, although not a guarantee, it's an incentive that it's quality made.

i agree about the quality in comparison to western countries. taking advantage of outsourcing really erks me. that little bit extra could mean the longevity of your clothes in comparison to others.

where you staying?

shibuya

The yen should be in your favor dude... not as much as last month, but it's defintely good to be exchanging anything for yen nowadays, it's pretty shit. I used to get about 106Y for 1000KRW when i'd go to Japan. I think today I'd get 128Y for the same.

Anyhow, yeah, about 90% of the stuff in Japan is worth buying if you're gonna compare it to NYC, clothes-wise. Doesn't take much to figure out that you buy Japanese labels and not imports. You can even get your VAT refunded at the airport at some places!

the dollar is pretty weak now though, that's what i was referring to.

good point about Japanese labels, but is it as hard to find places as i've heard? if i just wonder around the shopping districts, will i eventually find the good spots?

without knowing what you are into, it's hard to really make some good suggestions.

-japanese stuff is gonna much cheaper in tokyo than in new york. plus the selection is usually better, you can vist the flagship stores, etc

-everything that is not japanese is most likely to be more expensive, but i find the selection is much much better in Tokyo than New York, of course you pay for that.

getting around and finding shops can be a little difficult, but if you come prepare you shouldn't have any problem. i recommend buying the superfuture pdf map and planning you day ahead.

if you tell us what kind of stuff you like, we could give you more info.

going to tokyo without having an idea of what labels / stores you wanna check out = total waste of time

qft.

please check the 203943 threads about tokyo first. then if you have more specific questions, either post in one of those threads or make a better thread than "where should i shop in tokyo that's not in new york?"