Five Favourite Cars

rome1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is nice, period correct. I'm not sure that all those rare Mugen parts really mean anything to anyone outside of the US anymore, but I think the Mugen NSX is an exception since those parts were exceedingly rare.

Although the platform precludes anything other than a V6, I think the cylinder count of the NSX is just too low to put it in real supercar territory. That, and my beef with the engine is that the NSX's I've encountered didn't give off any aural rewards like an Italian car can, it's not ITB'd is it? BTW the original 5 speed was more like 250-270hp, the 290 hp version was the 3.2 that didnt come out for awhile...

NSXs are not ITB'd. My sense is that Honda wanted the car to be dead reliable.

The 3.0 had 270hp with manual transmission, and like 252 with the auto. 290hp rating did not come until the 3.2L update as you have said.

I actually like that Honda under-motors their cars. The cylinder count is meaningful but does not tell the whole story. In the case of my ITR, for example...it was better than anything similar that had a V6. I like cars that do more with less, and I'll always prefer smaller, high-revving, high-efficiency motors to larger, heavier, more powerful ones with less HP per liter.

After years of cars becoming more heavy and more powerful, economic and environmental concerns are going to drive curb weights and cylinder counts down. The new Audi S4 will have a supercharged 6 as opposed to the V8 of the current model and I predict other manufacturers will follow suit.

I disagree on the aural thrills of the NSX V6...but I'm a VTEC junkie. It may not be on the level of a Ferrari, but it's not far off...and is far superior to a lot of other higher-priced machinery and the NSX performs well beyond the expectations set by its power level.

And even if I had a butt-load of money, I'd probably still prefer the NSX to a MR V8 Ferrari...the NSX can be beaten to a pulp on the track at relatively low cost. Also, the NSX can be daily driven like any other Honda; ie. up to around 300,000 miles without issue.

If I was loaded to the gills, I'd get a Ferrari for sure...but not before getting an NSX first.

I can understand the practical stand point, but what about the simple thrill of finding an opening, stomping on the gas, and hearing the engine play some music? Alfa Romeo 3.2 V6's sound fucking great and are sold for like 3-series prices.

270-290hp wasn't bad considering the curb weight, and the V6 thing can be forgiven, I just think there should've been more in the engine; I see VTEC as a 2D sound, ITB's as a 3D sound...

The NSX delivers that simple thrill for me. But like I said, I am a VTEC junkie. Nothing got me going like my ITR's VTEC x-over, save a Ferrari at full song.

And since I like to keep my cars for a long time, I'll trade some power for reliability and tractability.

Alfa sixes are nice, and so are VW's for that matter. Both sound better than the 3-series inlines, if I think about it.

I can't hear too well, but I somehow end up around this kinda dead space between Omotesando and Aoyama Itchome, in front of the John Lobb store and across from the Honda showroom, and I remember seeing and hearing tons of cars there because the buildings are all glass and exhausts resonate off them nicely, and you can lay into the throttle for a slight bit before you hit a light there....

I've seen a topless white F50 go wide open for a split second there, and then a 156 3.2, a GTV, etc, and I'm really impressed by those Alfa 3.2's, they're really musical. It's too bad they're transverse in FF cars.

1986%20ford%20rs%20200%20evo%20f.jpg

mid engine 4wd, 650hp out ot a 4cylinder 2.1l engine, 0-60mph in 3.07s

fuck year, suicide machine

I see your rs200 and raise you.

Lancia_Delta_S4_005.JPG

A car I want to get is an Mazda MX-5 First Generation, it's got enough power to be a nice daily driver and is a fun . They're fairly cheaply priced too.

I like that Audi EvilCrayon posted up a picture of too.

I've had three NA miatas and they're still the standard by which I compare gearboxes(stock of course). The slickest, funnest gearbox ever. If it only had a 6th gear for the highway, it'd be a little better but I was still getting great gas mileage at 4k rpm on the highway going 75mph.

154g7f5.jpg

this is perfection.

where to cop rear windshield?

the Mugen lexan w/ air duct was baller status, they sold it until somewhat recently too. I think it was 3-4, maybe $5000. People still sell those NSX-fitment M7's for like $6-7000 nowadays.

I'd consider the B5 S4 with the 2.7 biturbo in the category of fast awd bricks, not completely squared off, but for a car from within this decade, it'd pass.

Also there were some kind of quick Volvo S70's (first gen) with AWD and the T5R motor I think. I'm sure there's a way one could bring those up a bit. I actually liked the S70R a lot, maybe minus some of the really obvious 'R' details. I'd still drive an S70 today if it were super clean.

the 325i cabrio is perfection to me.

325is are really reliable, aside from buggy suspension. there's a solid community behind it, a diy for all common problems and there's good aftermarket parts support. having german car mechanics around u would be good though.

friend of mine took out the rear seats and in a DIY project replaced it with a set of speakers and a huge bass box. now he is sporting 800W of sound from directly behind your ears.

driving this car makes you literally deaf haha but it's perfect for cruising

I was not really looking at BMW's but this weekend I kopped a 2000 323i for super cheap off a doctor. The deal was too good to pass up and the car is in immaculate condition. Now this is not really what I was looking for but I was well impressed with it. The question is should I throw some money in it and keep it for a while or just drive it as is for a shorter period and flip it when I find something doper? I could easily make some money off of it.

I was not really looking at BMW's but this weekend I kopped a 2000 323i for super cheap off a doctor. The deal was too good to pass up and the car is in immaculate condition. Now this is not really what I was looking for but I was well impressed with it. The question is should I throw some money in it and keep it for a while or just drive it as is for a shorter period and flip it when I find something doper? I could easily make some money off of it.

I'd keep it as-is, drive it forever. No point in putting extra money or stuff on it, but it's a good solid commuting car.

• 2 weeks later...