Five Favourite Cars

rome1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 94, so not sure if M-sport was an option then.

$4400 for a '94 540i with 100,000 miles, it looks immaculate and not dogged out like a lot of BMWs are. Complete service records + original owner. Very tempting, though it's an automatic.

sorry, too busy to clear my inbox lately, but;

It's a good car fundamentally, but it's only worth $4400 if it has had the engine swapped on recall (any BMW dealer service bay can tell you from their computer, if you've got the VIN, if the owner doesn't know or have this particular record or is hiding the fact it didn't) and the problem is that 100K miles over 15 years isn't enough use to be able to take the alternative route and figure that it's ok at 100K, because the deterioration problem in the cylinder linings only shows under more accelerated heavy use in places where the sulfuric content of the gasoline is higher than normal (and I have no idea where those states are but there indeed certain areas of the US that are and aren't). If it were two '94 540i's with the original longblocks, I'd actually bet more on the 150K three-owner slightly abused roadtrip car than the 80K one-grandma owner locally driven car, it's a weird situation.

540iA, so it's a nice looker, will run plenty hard and get up pretty well for a car that looks 20 years old and looks like an anachronism, and you'll get lots of thumbs up from old guys at stoplights if you keep it clean, but you will kind of wish had a manual since it's almost all the way there. It'll also run pretty hot like all the BMW big engine cars do, and it'll make about 15-17.5mpg if you run it hard and up to 24mpg if you really take it easy and watch the mileage and OBC all the time.

Before I had mine, my aunt and uncle had the wagon version in the small V8, the 530iT, which was rare as hell. It had all kinds of problems that the BMW dealer had to fix and they were eventually all straightened out, and then it finally met its match when an F150 rear ended it at like 40mph. The cargo area was crushed but the passenger compartment was fine and my cousin was in a baby seat in the back, with this F150 inches away from his head. Lucky, but the car helped too, the E34 and the W124 Benzes were the last of the wall-era German tank cars.

I'd probably offer less than 4K and see what they say, it'd be a nice car to keep nice and daily drive for 200K more miles over the next 15 more years.

You are right though, they are really hard to find clean. Mine was pretty clean, all original panels, but the bottoms of the doors on these cars tend to bubble with rust over time because of some sort of bad drainage or venting that allows road salt into the interior of the doors. Not the case for no salt state cars, but still that, and the seats on the E34's always end up messed up.

I had dreams (and maybe someday I actually might do this if I have time and space) to build a monster E34 540i, 6 speed, built to the hilt twin turbo engine using Bentley Arnage green label manifolds, etc. All E34 M5 exterior, bigger brakes from the 850CSi, 18" forged M-parallels (off the E39 540i M or the 740/50 sports of the late 90's), custom paint in Malachite green, as much new old stock interior that I can find, etc.

I'd probably find a car outfitted as such in Japan (tons of E34's there fitted with rare M-sport kits, 3-piece BBS RS, and the M-sport seats with more adjustment), where they're literally close to free, and ship it to the US to not register but just cull tons of parts from, so all in all, it'd be like a $20K project but it'd be a monster car that no one could dislike.

What I'm currently looking for is this, the car I desperaely wanted when I was in high school:

Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16v

og06landeltainte1.jpg

I was thinking about this car, too. They are "pretty cheap" for a car of this kind. Problem: engine. Rare replacement parts and turbo most times broken. A friend of mine had a Delta till the engine broke down. He searched for about three months and ended up buying an Audi A4 avant

yeah I don't like the SLS either, the SLR was definitely a better car and they can be had now for less than the SLS will be.

Maybe someday I'll have money to get one of those replica 300SL cabs that one company is gonna make (with the modern FI MB engines and drivelines), that is one of my dream cars. Get some replica Rudges and I'll be medium ballin, I'd daily drive that fucker.

The only cars that have really wowed me this year or recently are the Lambo Estoque, the Reventon roadster, and that BMW concept they just had...

It's gonna be like $150K-200K for the base model here. I don't hate it but I dislike the rear end and hate the fact that it'll be dogshit cheap on the used market in 2 years, as anything front-engined Porsche goes.

The Rapide is where it's at, but they don't even have an authorized AM dealer in this country.

• 2 weeks later...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDsXsdNgov0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDsXsdNgov0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm really surprised by how well that's turned out. Still one of those cars that looks like it's engine is somewhere it isn't. The specs all look great of course too, though I do wonder how many people are really in the market for a $375k toyota. Also think it's odd they're using a sequential.

People that grew up with a supra and now they earn billions