ironing your raw denim...

turcy.

I have a pair of flathead 3001 jeans that I've been wearing on and off since late March. Needless to say, these things are fading beautifully, only problem is these big creases parallel to the inseam along the length of the calf (they came like this, whoever had folded them before placing them in their plastic dust bag in the factory or what not hadn't folded them properly along the inseam). I've ignored these for the longest time, but now when I flip the jeans inside out I see that they're starting to fade lines in to my denim, and I want to stop this process before it gets any worse. How should I go about ironing these out, do I use water or not? Any tips / ideas?

they came one wash, so i don't want to soak them (they haven't had nearly enough wear yet, and my god are they fading beautifully already)

will ironing them make them fade much? cause the crease is really fucking annoying, i really want the crease gone so they can just fall like proper jeans...

I say leave it. When I soaked my Imperial dukes I got this massive fade line down the side of the seam from the selvedge line showing through. It's just another character of the jeans!

I say leave it. When I soaked my Imperial dukes I got this massive fade line down the side of the seam from the selvedge line showing through. It's just another character of the jeans!

sigh jemook you nub, he's not talking about train tracks, which are generally considered a desirable thing. he's talking about damn creases down the middle of his damn calf, which would look terrible. it would drive me nuts too.

cc---ironing might help, if you're careful....... if you're worried about damaging the jeans, you could put a cloth in between the jeans and the iron. and take it easy, better to do too little at a time than too much

thanks for the input guys, i'll try putting a towel down, and ironing from the inside out, if i don't think it's doing anything, i'll just give up, the crease is actually only about an inch off the inseam, so it's not so terrible, but i'd still rather avoid it fading if possible

Two things came to mind for me .

1.) Steaming them as opposed to ironing

2.) That maybe the steam would cause that line to lose more indigo ( which won't matter over time w/fade ) but you might look at it like ugh it's worse short term .

I say try steam without the pressing of the iron - do it inside out though .. Either way can't hurt really ...

Seriously...they are only jeans...iron them if you want to get the creases out (with steam on, or even a bit of water to dampen the crease(s)). The damage sustained to the fabric will most likely be much less when compared to all of the bacteria eating away at the denim by waiting 6-12 months before washing.

It's going to be a one-time deal...just learn how to iron without letting the hot appliance sit in one spot for too long.

Guest soleFLY
soaking wont help, my apcs came like that too and theyve been through 4 soaks and the crease is still there. I say leave it, it adds character imo.

yea my apc came folded poorly and im having the same problem. un-welcome vertical creases..

my sam's got the same creases after the initial soak/dry. You really can't do anything about it, I mean, try folding a piece of paper then taking the crease out of that. It's futile. My concern is actually not washing them because the longer you go, the crease will remain, while if you wash frequently, the crease will fade with the rest of the leg.

Turn them inside out, wet a cloth, put it on the crease and hot iron just along the crease with the point of the iron, taking care not to have any other folds in the leg which would create more unwanted creases. The steam will remove the crease as much as is possible, there ain't much else you can do IMHO.

• 5 weeks later...
The local dry cleaners was supposed to hem some jeans, which they did, but they also added a crease down the front. Is there anything I can do?

miguel:

if it bothers you that much, as ask them to fix it. if they cant, you can try to explain to them that they have destroyed your garment, and to replace (pay for) it.

curious charles: i have the same crease on my sams, on the inside seam of the calf of the lower left leg. i left it alone, considering it the beauty of imperfection. now after a few washes&soaks, it has left a fade line, but i like it...i forgot all about it until a few minutes ago, as i stumbled across this thread. even if your jeans came from the factory symetrically perfect, over time your non-perfectly symetrical body would make uneven fade somewhere. enjoy it.:rolleyes:

I usually iron my jeans inside after the first soak. Just a little spray water and the iron set just below cotton. in my experience, the earlier you get to stock fold creases on jeans with an iron, the better chance you have smoothing them out. Otherwise, yeah, as the others have said, you have to live with it.