WAYWT Dissection

digital_denim

How do you choose your location?

Usually anywhere with a big enough space (narrow lens).

And how much thought process goes into it.

Not much except posing in a way that's flattering to the clothes and being in focus. I'm a bit obsessive about aesthetics though so naturally I do try to make the photo look decent.

Do you like to list your clothing items.

I don't like to but I like it better than answering questions...

Do you list them from head to toe?

Yes.

Does your pic reflect your mood?

Not consciously.

Tripod?

Miscellanious objects.

Camera type?

Canon Rebel XT

Mirror guy?

Hmm... I think I have a few times.

Do you feel awkward when you do it?

When people are around, yes.

Do you leave messages (inside jokes, notes, hellos, or just venting) to others and yourself?

Sometimes.

Do you think about rep when you post?

Yes, there is a certain vanity in rep points. Maybe it has something to do with ego, maybe it doesn't. It just feels good and is something to aim for like leveling up in video games. Not obsessed with it though, I don't think I'd mind starting at 0 again.

The bedroom has the best light and I can't be bothered to carry the camera around with me.

And how much thought process goes into it?

As little as possible.

Do you like to list your clothing items?

I usually list them unless they are obvious or I wear them all the time and they are recognizable to waywt regulars. Sometimes I don't list them when I am wearing an "uncool" label, for the reason un- stated : people sometimes have preconcieved notions about certain brands and think it'll make or break a fit.

Yes.

No.

Tripod?

Yes.

Camera type?

Canon PowerShot

Mirror guy?

Not in a long time.

Depends on how awake I am and how many shots it is taking to get a good one. The first one is often the best because I am less self-conscious.

Do you leave messages (inside jokes, notes, hellos, or just venting) to others and yourself?

Occasionally.

Do you think about rep before taking picture?

No, but I usually have a pretty good idea who is likely to give me rep for a particular outfit once I see the pic.

Do you ever take a few shots, get home and put them on the computer, and then not post any?

Yes.

I used to, but that ended stagnating my mindstate when posing...I like to be clear-minded and not look as if I'm trying too hard..that's when you die hard.

Do you ever take a few shots, get home and put them on the computer, and then not post any?

Yeah, a few times I had pics that I thought weren't worth posting lol.

New Question:

Do you post WAYWT pics on other sites? If so, which ones?

mostly i do them at work or at home...the skies can be nice here so i use that as a backdrop...on my days off i carry a tripod and a camera and sometimes have spots in mind...other times it will just come to me....

mostly i am in a hurry so not much...sometimes i have a whole idea for the pics come into my head...honestly except a few days a week the pics take me five minutes...when i comes to post i put some more thought into how to do that..i try and make a good post...

the truth is some of the pics that i most like were handed to me on a plate..i knew the spot the pics the whole post and there was an inevitability about it...

very occasionally i do...sometimes if i have something new..i post so much that others often answer any questions about my fits anyway...

when i do yes

in some way this in inevitable as i show my face...the settings sometimes do... but as i am mostly just getting pics more often than not they don't...

i would say though all pics capture something about the subject's mood whether they care to acknowledge it or...perhaps a slight change in posture...the mood it took to wear the clothes...

Tripod?

yes..i have had a few people take pics for me...friends...good friends...best friends...my daughter...but these are the exception rather than the rule...

there are a couple of pics that i can think of that have something extra because they were taken by someone else...

Camera type?

sony cybershot

Mirror guy?

i have done mirror pics a long time ago.

not at all..just recently i did a pic in the middle of a crowd and i was nervous to do it...waiting for the place to fill up with people to make it worth while...as soon as that 10second started i was in the zone...as if no one was there ...just me and the camera...well except when this lady tried to run me over with her push chair...

i used to feel more awkward...and do things like crop my head...but i got such a good reaction to one pic in particular that i just started to enjoy it..i mean if you are going to do it...why not...

i have done so with some videos more than pics...

i have done that...usually it is with extra waywt chat edition posts...

Do you post on other sites

i have always posted on different sites...and it was actually posting on smaller sites that made me more adventurous...there used to be a thing here at st where you would get flamed...waywt was a joke thread...and if you put effort in...well times have changed...

If I find a nice and quiet, well lit place, I remember the place and one day come back to take a pic; but usually I just take one in my office.

None. I usually do it when I'm tired and not thinking too much.

No I don't like to, but I do list because people ask. I don't like to list because I don't want people to judge by brand names and I am a brand whore.

Usually.

No. I'm always happy and often goofy. I sometimes think my pics look pretentious.

Tripod?

Nope. Lost mine, and didn't bother getting a new one.

Camera type?

Some crappy overpriced JVC interlaced digital video camera.

I'd say 95% makes it. 5% could be one of terrible pic, terrible fit, too busy to post, or realising the fit is too similar to something I've already posted before.

It's all about reps. ;)

I usually spot locations driving somewhere or walking about town. It's quite random, i store the spot in my brain for future reference. The feel of the place and scale of the place has to work.

Some shots i do think about in advance. I use to do the steps in front of my house shot, but i found that redundant and boring especially with the same clothes.

Sometimes.

Yes (dumb question)

I leave that up to the person viewing the picture. But personally for me yes.

Tripod?

I have that gorilla mini tripod thing. I will use ledges and bookshelves, etc...

Camera type?

Fuji FInepix of some sort.

Mirror guy?

Yeah, a really long time ago.

Always.

Yes, this goes into the thought process of choosing a location also.

What's rep?

Wherever the light is decent in my house, which is only in one bathroom

and against the wall in the basement.

None. The locations are dictated by the light and access to a surface to place my camera on. I prefer the photos to be little more than a consistent documentation of what I was wearing and roughly how they looked on me.

I do it to maintain a consistent posting style and to be informative. I don't give a shit what label goes with what, that doesn't matter to me one bit, I wear what I believe looks good together and provide a list in case some one likes a piece here and there.

Yes

Sometimes I will be very tired or very angry and it will show, sometimes I am angry at my inability to take good pictures of my fits. The wall never changes.

Tripod?

No, propped up. I should get one.

Camera type?

Nikon Coolpix 995

Mirror guy?

I'm too big to use a mirror.

I only do it when I know no one will walk in on me. I could never, ever do it in public, which is why I shoot in my basement/bathroom.

Nope, only the fit.

Sadly, yes.

Nowadays most of my pictures are taken out back of the store I work at and provides the most neutral backgrounds of any other convenient place I know. Sometimes I'll shoot at other nearby locations that I think are suitable/interesting if I'm not working, etc.

Besides finding the location, not much unless I get a random idea.

Like many other people mentioned I don't like to but is the easiest without people asking about certain items. I've contemplated not listing them because I feel like I mostly wear the same basic pieces all the time but we'll see.

Yes

Sometimes but its usually coincidence.

Tripod?

Yes

Camera type?

Either a Sony DSC-P100 or Canon Rebel XT. Depends on if I feel like lugging the dslr around.

Mirror guy?

In the beginning.

Always, I try to get the process over with as fast as I can just so that people don't see me.

No

No, I like the surprise.

I just try to find a place with nice even natural lighting that is out of the sun. This means I usually go just inside a covered breezeway outside our place. I crop the background out anyway so it isn't much of an issue.

How much thought process goes into it?

I probably think too much about it. I would post more if I didn't think so much.

I generally do.

Indeed

Can't you tell?

Tripod?

The only way.

Camera type?

Nikon D50

Mirror guy?

Never

Very. My wife thinks I am weird. She wonders why I can't stand taking family pictures but will set up these photos. The thing is, I can't cover my head with a giant eyeball in the family shots.

I generally try to do some sort of reference to other posters on the board to add some kind of interest due to the fact that most of what I wear is not that exciting. I am just compensating. Same goes for the Photoshop work.

I think about it after when it does or does not arrive.

It just has to be kinda interesting and convenient for me.

How much thought process goes into it?

Not to much, basically I want a photo that isn't blurry and doesn't cut off my head.

Yep, not really sure why though.

Yeah, it just makes sense to go top to bottom.

Naw, I have been told I look sad or depressed in my pics but I am far from that.

Tripod?

Nope, I use whatever is around or whatever I have in my pockets. Dumpster, phone, cardboard box... anything.

Camera type?

Canon SD300

Mirror guy?

No, I don't like being able to see how disgusting my mirror is.

Depends, I feel more awkward when people I know are around. If it is just randoms then I could care less.

No, not normally.

Nope.

my kitchen is 4 feet away from my bedroom where my clothes are. It's also the only place in my apartment with decent light.

I get dressed, strike a fabulous pose, take a pic, usually takes like 2 or 3 minutes

Usually

Yep

Not really, most of my pics are about the same style. I blank out my face

Tripod?

Nope, kitchen table

Camera type?

Digital Rebel

Mirror guy?

If I'm lazy/If I think a closeup might show the outfit better

Nah

nope

Not really

It's happened before

awww.... poor diddy :cool:

if it's my own waywt, it's always my room out of convenience

if it's others' waywts which i'm crashing (whizkit, soepom) they usually pick the place

not much at all. convenience is a very popular word

no, unless there's a particular piece i want to highlight.

i suppose

nope, it's like a trance devoid of any pre-existing mood i go into while waiting for the self-timer countdown.

Tripod?

occasionally

Camera type?

nikon coolpix 5400

Mirror guy?

nope

not really

nope

to be honest, a little. :o

yeah, often.

it's the ledge of my window.

Hours.....

it's the only reason I post.

yes.

yes!

Tripod?

nope.

Camera type?

350D- like everyone else.

Mirror guy?

NEVER.

yes. This is the only reason why I post once in a great while, my mum and walked in on me while I was pozing for a WAYWT. And I screamed "MUM I AM TAKING A WATWT!!!!". And she called me a twat.

yes!!!!!!!!!!

yes.

I take anywhere from 0-76 images of myself. they all go into a folder on my laptop called "SODOMIZED" and it is locked with the password "ronclissoldhasaids".

• 6 months later...

Still meant to do this:

I try to present a certain atmosphere in my pictures and I try to have the locations I take my pics in reflect that, it should all fit together so to speak...

Last summer I discovered this area with these semi abandoned warehouses and those provided ideal backgrounds. I'll go back there as soon as the temperature and outdoor light allow it. Otherwise I just try to find a plain wall as a background, right now most pics are taken in a studio, hence all the paint...

I occasionally see spots, while biking around town, wich I remember to go back if I don't have time to take a pic there and then.

I also try to position my camera in such a way that there are as little "disturbing elements" (that are not along the lines of the idea I mentioned above) as possible.

Quite alot obviously^^^

But still it goes quite quickly most of the time, also my cam snaps two pics after eachother, so I try to have different pics in the two waywt threads...

No, I don't find it necessary, for me it's about what happens when you combine pieces, not about those individual pieces and who made them.

Funny is that I do list them in my flickr, but that's just to remember them later

No (again, in the flickr yes)

Most of the time yes!

Tripod?

Yessir!

Camera type?

some 8mp Kodak point and shoot

Mirror guy?

no sir!

For all the waywts I've taken maybe once or twice...

yes, occasionally

Not so much about the rep points but more about the personal comments that go along with them...

I take waywt pics everyday anyway, and it's something I've been wanting to do for years (before I was even aware that other people were doing it too and sharing them), discovering Sufu's waywt was just a trigger to finally start doing it.

But to answer the Q: I take pics everyday, but don't post everyday.

Usually, the best for me is where there isn't lots of people. I get embarassed.

Hardly any. Lighting and visibility to the details in the clothes I'm wearing.

Not always. Brand synergy police are on high alert, I hear. Maybe if I'm layering alot, I'll list the pieces.

Head, torso, legs, feet, accessories.

No.

Tripod?

No.

Camera type?

Samsung Digimax a503. 5mp's.

Mirror guy?

No. There's poor lighting in my house and I get that shitty flash effect if I use mirrors.

Only in public.

Sometimes I explain the location.

Sometimes.

Whatever spot is empty and close

None im afraid Im a big photo detail whore to but when it comes to myself it dosnt matter.

Nope

get bent

na

Tripod?

sure do.

Camera type?

D200 if my strobes are up in the room ill throw em on

Mirror guy?

alot of times, if im lazy

i suppose so

na

ALL THAT MATTERS!

for now it's the only place in my house with lighting that will look reasonable.

other than lighting...not much

Sometimes

yes.

nope, I always end up looking the same

Tripod?

no

Camera type?

Canon Rebel XTi DSLR

Mirror guy?

unfortunately, until I can find a better location.

Kind of, my girlfriend thinks it's odd.

nope.

sometimes yes.

whatever is most convenient

location? none.

not really, only because I rather have the focus on the piece itself rather then the label. PMs or chat edition works for any q.

i think so. when i'm tired i don't feel like standing up.

Tripod?

no

Camera type?

canon p&s. not fancy at all.

Mirror guy?

mirror girl thank you very much

not at all.

sometimes. most of my waywt were for a selective few.

not really. maybe if i could cash in the rep to buy some clothes...

it's funny because even before discovering the existence of thrads like waywt i had a habit of taking pictures of my clothes. not often. just every now and then and its a fun process to see what you're wore and looking back you go through all sorts of emotions like :eek: :o:P :p :( :confused: :rolleyes::cool: :eek: :)

(my goal is to try to take a nice picture with an actual location one day)

Whatevers convienant.. haven't taken an artsy type waywt photo in ages.

I take a picture of what I wear. If I think it's waywt worthy I usually just go for it.

Yes, just in the off chance that somebody cares...

i mostly crop out the face, i feel waywt is about specifically the outfit and shouldn't be interfered with face pictures, people usually gravitate towards looking at faces in pictures, and then it becomes part of the outfit (which it shouldn't be).

Tripod?

sometimes and gorillapod for SLR

Camera type?

Nikon P&S if I'm lazy or Nikon DSLR if I've got time

Mirror guy?

haven't since I first posted waywt pictures

sometimes, yes. I don't do it in public. hahah

???

No, but I do try and post outfits that are actually interesting, no posting in what i usually wear to classes which is sweats and athletic wear.

enough light

set camera to pre-set "ebay mode"

not anymore

not anymore

bored. drunk

Tripod?

no

Camera type?

casio exilim

Mirror guy?

ya

dont care

"blah blah blah"

open for criticism. good or bad. just part of the learning process.

... i feel waywt is about specifically the outfit and shouldn't be interfered with face pictures, people usually gravitate towards looking at faces in pictures, and then it becomes part of the outfit (which it shouldn't be).

I completely dissagree,

the most amazing individual pieces, pieced together as an amazing outfit, but worn by someone with no facial expression or no swagger at all will still look like utter shit.

my 2 cnts...