You people are fucking delusional.

Guest Airjamie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest itsmeJT
Im getting tired of all this talk of fashion designer as some kind of guiding beacon for social consciousness. The notion is simply absurd. You all know what im talking about "johan fancyminimalistname gestures toward an impendingly dreary urban european social climate.........by selling $500 oversized hoodies with funky zippers and black and white photos of dudes sitting on a fence". This is idiotic for some fairly obvious reasons. Sincere sociopolitical gesture are not made on te front of a $500 hoodie. Plain and simple. As the story goes with avantminimal streetfashion, it is paralleled in skurban streetwear. Yes I'm going there. Supreme doesnt give a fuck about the streets. Maybe at some point in their existence they were poor or hood enough to justify their idiot status to themselves (I obviously dont know the history of the brand, nor do i care, this is not about my knowledge of the brand) , but that time is long fucking passed. Idont give a fuck how many times they hand out to "totally credible fuh realz artists from the hood", or how many relevat femenist artists they bite to get logos, or how many totally awesome "somebody snitched" hats they make, ITS ALL A FUCKING MARKETING PLOY. Do you people honestly think they give a fuck about "the kids"? Do you? If you still think they do, go to the store, try and steal something, and see if they dont prosecute your ass. Yeah man, theyll totally let it slide cuz "they know what its like"...

My point is, you can blow smoke up these designers asses all you want, you can brainwash yourself with this "raf simons really gives a fuck about the world" bullshit all you want. You can freeassociate sociopolitical statements onto skinny jeans and oversized tonal hoodies ALL YOU FUCKING WANT. You are still a dandy and a fop. You are not any more relevant than anyone else. Just face up to it, you pay the extra money to look cool. TO LOOK COOL.

YOU GOT A BIG GUN COME BRING IT OUT!

BUTTERFLY KNIFE COME ALONG FLING IT OUT!

WE CAN JUST DO IT OLD SCHOOL SWING IT OUT!

I SUGGEST YOU BEST START WINGING OUT!

I’m not sure exactly what Airjamie was aiming at here so (rants by their very nature are rather distorted messages as they are more about the emitter letting of steam than the receptor understanding what is being conveyed) I’ll just break down what I have to say in various levels if interpretation:

1) Art can transform society:

This pretty much comes from the end of 19th/early20th notion that society is a prison where people are exploited drones, living their lives in a “sleeping†state, entirely unaware of the structure of exploitation that goes on. Art, by its subversive nature could possibly have the effect of “walking up†the living dead so that The Revolution could take place. You can find this interpretation in books like La société du spectacle (The society of spectacle) by Guy Debors or modern pop culture productions like The Matrix trilogy. I believe this interpretation is erroneous and definitely disregard the often involuntary nature of the social mores that plague us. It is of course highly motivating and allows countless misguided armchair philosophers to interpret everything they do as being part of their job as shining knights in armour “sticking it to the man†or waking up the conscience of the exploited masses, even when we’re talking about bad performance art or even robbing convenience stores.

A more interesting take on the role of art in “changing†society would be that it never exists in a vacuum and that, consequently, important art movements (think modernism) are interlinked and feed of/feed similar manifestations in various cultural spheres, say sociology, anthropology, psychology or even economy and indeed lead to new ideas being thrown in the public arena hence some important social changes resulting from those ideas.

2) Fashion design is not art, blablabla commerce blablabla $$$:

No it isn’t, it is design and design is art with a purpose, in other words art that answers modern consumer needs, and aims at making a profit. Design is both a commercial and artistic endeavor and juggling the two successfully makes the difference between, for example, a great architect whose work will be an inspiration and speak to the people viewing it, like Gaudi’s parc Güell while making money for the firm/individuals and allow them to release more work or even finish the one they started and some crappy buildings like the one that’s blocking part of my nearly perfect view of the city.

3) Ralf Simons sucks:

Fuck you!!

We're reading Barthes in my art history course right now, we've just started on Death of the Author. Great stuff.

Yup, he shows that a methodical, structured approach to social sciences is indeed possible.

Guest Airjamie
Hahahaha, good one!! I'm sure you do know I was referring to Raf Simons

Yeah i do. I never said raf simons sucks. Ive posted in waywt twice wearing raf.

Yeah i do. I never said raf simons sucks. Ive posted in waywt twice wearing raf.

Shit, I think I missed all your WAYWT....why do I see all the nudie+hoodie+chucks and miss the good stuff ;(

ITS ALL A FUCKING MARKETING PLOY. Do you people honestly think they give a fuck about "the kids"? Do you? If you still think they do, go to the store, try and steal something, and see if they dont prosecute your ass. Yeah man, theyll totally let it slide cuz "they know what its like"

its actually a lot less complicated.

they make clothes. if we like the way they look, we buy and wear them.

its as simple as that.