I'm Starting A Fashion Magazine

I know the market is very big and probably hard, but i decided to start small...the local area and see where it develops.

For the past couple of weeks, I've looked at many magazines of the same type of stuff that i want to do.

I have the clothes from stores for the photo shoots, photographers, models, friends who are interested in graphic design....but the only problem i want solved is advertising.

I'm thinking of shadowing an Advertising Director from the local newspaper, but i wanted to know if that was necessary and ask one of you guys if you knew what i could do to get advertisements for my magazine. (of course local) but there's plenty of shops and boutiques in charleston,sc.

Oh, the title of it is called 'Trend Report'. (if you don't like the title tell me, or if it could be better). I was also thinking of calling it 'Eclectic'

it's growing...let's say it's a work in progress here.

The market is definitely there. We have a street called King Street where ALL the good shops are and that's where all the you could say fashionable people are seen.

And then you have the random few who are ahead of the curve.

And then the people (the biggest group) who like fashion and wouldn't mind knowing about it, but it's just something on the side you know.

And then the AnF, Hco, blah blah blah peeps.

advertising sales isn't a mystery world, youve just got to know where you stand, what youre capable of, and how to pull it off.

pm me some more details about yr project, i can give you better advice if i have a better idea of what you're working with in terms of content, size, budget, etc.

If you are targetting people in the south, may i suggest

-Crunk magazine

-Monthly Ghetto Fabulous

-Fashion for Y'all

Just don't do it. You'll lose all your money and any contacts you make along the way will hate you when you go belly up and cannot afford to pay them even for expenses. If you're still keen to do something try doing an online version or a downloadable PDF of your project before even committing to the massive print costs associated with any magazine (even a small one). Where ad sales are concerned, the rule of thumb (in the majority of cases) is that most buyers will only take paid-for space after you have been around for 18-24 months. Granted, you may get lucky and have someone take a punt but don't think that will be the start of big things. If you want my advice (and after my drivel why would you) never put a penny of your own money into a magazine concept; try the online thing or work for an established magazine - i.e. let someone else cover the costs. Also, google the title first or you'll be stuck with a legal battle if you do ever get anywhere and will have to change your name just as your readership have got settled. I'm not trying to put a damper on things but just thought it important to ensure you don't loose a fuck load of money.

id recommend doing an online magazine blog thing first then going onto paper when u seem to have enough daily hits...

ie: honeyee onlineblog / fashion site ---> legit fashion/lifestyle mag

im no professional, but this sounds like a good idea.

potentially a whole lot cheaper and safer and u still get ur message out..

and mayb do a little advert campaign with stores along that kings road u mention..

IE: mentioning their store in a directory or some shit in exchange for them dropping in lets say a name card with ur site address in bigf fucking fat letters...

u cld also do the same with good restaurants.. maybe have a directory for them / some reviews in exchange for them handing out ur card..

try to target a fashion - lifestyle mag that way u capture a larger audience and u prolly have a higher chance of interests crossing over.

hand in hand

fashion - arts - culture - food - music (and mayb a little more emphasis on the fashion part since thats what ur really aiming for)

One of the ways you can build a potential platform for advertising or revenue is to expand on Chrisj's suggestion of the directory by including some of the local shop's clothing in shoots alongside brands they want to be associated with. Remember to credit them properly and then have somewhere with a 'contacts' section so people can reference them swiftly.

im also thinkking of starting up a magazine/zine im gonna start small with it just an extension from my blog really,get one issue out there hopefully maket free but a small run (take the financial hit) build up from there,way im seeing itad wise im gonna make a mock up when i go meet people at pr agencies etc take it a long show them see if i can get a few brands interested in having a page add for a small support fee, i think by approaching the right brands ie those who would like to assosiate with independant 'cool' or 'niche' projects hopefully il be able to get something to help.

well thats my plan,anyone who views my blog opinions if you think youd like to see it in print format what else could get added etc?its good to have a wider input to take on from.

your new blog is very coooll seenmy - but i'd focus on getting a web presence first before you go into a print run. I'm a big fan of candy magazine which has seen massive growth despite being a .pdf mag . If you develop a stong web presence then when you come out with a print issue you've already developed a market and got a lot of content focusing ect.

true, as i said first planned issue is more of a portfolio piece almost as promotion for the site,i need to widen my range of contributors from just a small group of friends and to push my self into a fashion editor role,have a art direction presence but not be styling eveything as it feels abit self induldgent at the min,print side i feel will help validate it get people seeiing the idea,which in turn should up the content for web-giving it a wider circulation as i think its prob just my friends that view it atm.

when i say magazine im thinking black white lasr printed first issues on recycled stock more a zine than a print mag, helps me keep generating work and hopefully somone will see it and like my work/give me a chance.

true, as i said first planned issue is more of a portfolio piece almost as promotion for the site,i need to widen my range of contributors from just a small group of friends and to push my self into a fashion editor role,have a art direction presence but not be styling eveything as it feels abit self induldgent at the min,print side i feel will help validate it get people seeiing the idea,which in turn should up the content for web-giving it a wider circulation as i think its prob just my friends that view it atm.

when i say magazine im thinking black white lasr printed first issues on recycled stock more a zine than a print mag, helps me keep generating work and hopefully somone will see it and like my work/give me a chance.

Seenmy,

I want to back you on this, and while I could easily echo the chorus of people suggesting an online magazine prior to a print one, I think you have the right idea as to how to approach it from the ground up as a print Maga(Zine) that acts as a way to flesh out the ideas you explore on your blog.

I like the new blog alot, but one of the main problems is the somewhat static feel it has, which I think is partly due to it's (comparatively speaking) low budget web-presence. Something in print form, even at a similar price point on your end, can gather interest in a way that "Just another Blog/webzine" cannot. As you mentioned, it also gives you the opportunity to approach people you respect for support and collaboration with something concrete they can hold in their hands, and though a slew of folks on here will tell you otherwise, I know from personal experience that that can make a huge difference.

I'm really curious to see how it turns out. One thing I might suggest is that you do a smaller (lets call it "limited") test run, and splash out all the cash that you can gather up on the printin end. While black and white laser may work for a zine about skateboarding, punk rock, graffitti, or shit, even Architecture, One that explores photography, fine art, fashion, or in your case all three, relys heavily on the prodection values being up to par. I honestly think the consumer you are targeting may be more interested in a small run High-qual publication that costs 1o or 15 pounds, than one that cost a fiver, but looks the part.

Good luck man. keep me posted on this.

And #4$WardfAshionboi....The above advice applies to you as well. But probably differently, as you're not as far along as he is.

I do recall in business class my teacher saying that magazines don't make much money - unless of course you are Conde Nast or the Hearst coroporation. In fact they are notoriously one of the hardest enterprises to embark on financially.

You must be updated or know whats what months before you even think about publishing... good luck.

oh yea totally its not a financial venture at all on my part id be stoked if i got enough cash and favours in to cover print,this will totally be about the love for the subject and self promotion.as career wise my next few years are gonna be assisting for little or no pay so the mag will hopefully help me keep my sole intact while im pushing trolleys round a supermarket car park on the weekends!

anyone getting in to fashion for the glamour has rather deluded visions of the industry.

rbw thanksfor the support

id recommend doing an online magazine blog thing first then going onto paper when u seem to have enough daily hits...

ie: honeyee onlineblog / fashion site ---> legit fashion/lifestyle mag

anyone who has ever put their foot in print fanzine arenas will know that online and print are 2 completely different beasts. anyone and everyone can do a blog. which is why they suck.

thanks for the advice guys.

I'm going to follow what i want to do and go ahead with it.

I understand the idea of a blog, but from what i understand, that's already fleshed out. Maybe if i did that like 3 years ago and started.

But with the magazine, i'm just going to start really small. And do the directory things like you guys said.

I have business cards too, to make myself more professional.

Have you analyzed your competition in your chosen niche, found out what advertisng rates of comparable publications are, modeled your revenue and expenses, contacted printers and print brokers for production quotes, and found designers, contributors and stylists? Have you produced samples, generated content, figured out your web presence or developed any merchandise? Have you developed or deployed any sort of publicity campaign?

Because those things are all way more important than business cards when it comes to making yourself professional.

Have you analyzed your competition in your chosen niche, found out what advertisng rates of comparable publications are, modeled your revenue and expenses, contacted printers and print brokers for production quotes, and found designers, contributors and stylists? Have you produced samples, generated content, figured out your web presence or developed any merchandise? Have you developed or deployed any sort of publicity campaign?

Because those things are all way more important than business cards when it comes to making yourself professional.

Whew! All those questions. I've looked at Advertising Rates and looked at Competition...........there is none. Just the local magazine which is more for tourists and what's going on in the city. Now about the ad rates. I'm taking someone else's advice about that, Actually, me and my crew (my volunteer friends) already have everything you said planned. We must be thinking ahead.

Thanks for the question like that!! I need to know what i need to keep things on top.

anyone who has ever put their foot in print fanzine arenas will know that online and print are 2 completely different beasts. anyone and everyone can do a blog. which is why they suck.

poly: they are two different things but when your blog is getting how many tens of thousands of hits a day why not try it out on some paper?