Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

since people are talking about tapering/fit/alterations I thought I'd update with what I've been doing.

The Quest For Summer Chinos.

I wanted some chinos for summer but couldn't find anything I was feeling, hence make a (or 3) pair. Since I'll be making dozens of patterns during my final year at school I thought I should get some practice in over the summer, especially when it came to fit. Design lines and details are easy, its fit that takes work.

1- Relaxed Fit

First off I just made a pair with no particular thought to fit, just some standard measurements to start with and see where that took me. What I got was an incredibly comfy and easy to wear pair of pants. They had their problems though, I forgot to fuse the 3/4 top pockets and they stretched out, and the back pockets sag open a bit because there are no closures, but they work so well rolled up I could care less about the problems and have been wearing them all over.

Front:

DSC03909.jpg

Side:

DSC03913.jpg

Back:

DSC03911.jpg

2- Slim Fit

Too Slim. After finishing the first pair I wanted a slim pair. Unfortunately I mimicked my jean pattern to closely and these guys ended up hugging the thighs and creating some serious moose knuckle if you don't sag them. The length on these is perfect though, just skims the ankles but haven't been wearing these much because of the tightness.

Front:

DSC03906.jpg

Side:

DSC03905.jpg

Look at the side seam at the pocket. Way out of line.

Back:

DSC03907.jpg

3- Improved Slim Fit

After fucking up on the first slim pair I knew I had to fix them and ended up with these. Much Improved fit throughout the hips/waist/crotch. Finally got my act together and included button closures on the back pockets.

Front:

DSC03924.jpg

Side:

DSC03922.jpg

Back:

DSC03919.jpg

Wow, I think I need to fix the butt on these

Actually, it seems I've got plenty of work ahead of me.

Looks great, I really need to get my shit together and make me a pair of chinos. I was supposed to make a pair last summer but didn't get to it. That's how lazy I am

I bought some wide ugly looking chino pattern a while ago which I'm trying to make alterations to, but since I'm still new at this I find it kind of hard, Ideally I should buy a pair and tear them up, but can't afford that right now :(

• 2 weeks later...

larsss-

Nice job on the chinos! The first one especially looks good.

Just out of curiosity how long does it usually take to make your first one?

When I make stuff it takes a painfully/discouraging long time to finish even. Probably because i stop and go so much.

What pattern book are you using for reference?

Thanks,

Fuck man, I've been trying to make a perfect shirt sleeve for like 10 hours or something now. I can't seem to get the cuff right; either too big overlap, sides not straight, seam not neat enough... fuck this shit.

fuuuuuuuu.jpg

Alright, I'm planning to get an industrial machine--with reverse--and nothing too expensive.

I'm willing to compromise on the light side of use so long as it can handle three layers of canvas or the like. Am I pissing in the wind? I have ham-fisted the shit out of home machines for like ten years, and though I realize they are super specific, functionally, is there any way I can plow through thick and go to thin without too much fussing about but maybe a simple needle change?

Would appreciate advise. Would like to get by with a simple straight stitch machine and maybe a serger, if that is plausible.

what the hell, where in new zealand do they cover the knees for modesty while leaving the thigh and upper leg sheathed only in translucency

or do you just have some kind of weird hang-up about your knees

Nude knees are big social no-nos here in Canada.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These are a couple of shirts I made over the summer. They're my first try at putting together a garment. I purchased the material and tailored it up myself. The second one is based off of the selfedge western shirt. I think they turned out okay, I just screwed up and made them a bit too large.

3775142538_c502c17045_b.jpg

3775159546_c5931e591b_b.jpg

3774688143_86be31f64f_b.jpg

3775098882_27f39ae871_b.jpg

3774325573_297bbb618d_b.jpg

3775117412_e8a4ed9588_b.jpg