Food is Overrated

fadingblue

Today i was chilling in my spanish class after i and everybody finished the final and since my school is gay and they dont let you go out before you finish i stayed there. Some of my friends started talking about food and different restaurants and making comments about that. Then it hit me and i realized that food is overrated.

Some (young) people obsess over food so much (doesnt bother me for someone with financial independence or someone who is older). My best friend whos kind of a chub chub obsseses with asian food restaurants and expensive restaurants in general and all i can think is "youre gonna shit it later anyways". My parents often want to go to niceish restaurants but morally i cant justify paying 40 dollars for a steak and i would much rather go to chillis for a burger.

Anybody else share my sentiments?

o yea sorry if my examples/stories sound inconsistent, i was doing other stuff while writing so i kinda lost my train of thought

=)

Obviously your gonna shit it out later on, but I think it does matter what it tastes like and what your in the mood for. You can't justify a chilli's hamburger with a decent steak, its apples and oranges. I wouldn't obsess over what kind of food to get though thats going a bit far. But I know that eating at a decent resturant is way better than eating at McDonalds or something of the sorts.

yea i would deffinately not eat @ mcdonalds but any middle of the road restaurant is fine with me.

i think being young and getting expensive food is even more snobish than buying expensive jeans because its gonna last a long time, but food is deff not. im also not a big eater so that really changes my opinion (im THAT mexican that doesnt eat beans)

i'd rather eat at a regular old greek dinner than some shitty name brand chain like applebee's, chillis ,or the like. theres just somethign generally incideous about the meals they serve to you at those places, while at a dinner, you know what you're paying for. its usually of better quality @ the dinners, i can't say its the greatest, but its a lot better than those other places. if i have the money on hand to eat at a nice restaurant, i will, because i love good food, but im not gonna blow $15 at friendly's to clog my arteries. i'd rather do it with some poise.

it doesn't have to be expensive, but being exposed to various cusine at some point while one is relatively young has benefits.

an recent acquaintance of mine cannot eat anything exotic, dude only eats pizza, burger, fam restaurant food, or diner food and dude just moved to nyc. went to an italian joint in a group, we had to explain to him what bruscheta was. took him to a taco stand, dude expected taco bell food, when he found out he can't get a meat taco bell style taco, he refused to eat, recently had a dinner party where the plan was to go to a churascaria (it's just grilled meat!) dude whined like a bitch. I sarcastically recommended Applebees or TGI Fridays and he actually thought I was serious and got all happy.

people with 'safe' eating habits sicken me, unless they have a naturally weak stomach or something like that. please, grow the fuck up. you stopped wearing underoos, right?

eat some fucking grilled beef, pussyboy.

anyway, food overrated? this post is a joke. eating good food is like wearing good clothes, it feels good. and you know what? it feels better shitting out a 100 dollar meal than shitting out Chili's. i'm not knocking chili's, because my iron-clad stomach and love of food pretty much lets me eat anywhere and have a decent to excellent time doing so, but come on- you'd rather eat at a bloody chain than a nice family-owned establishment that serves up slightly pricier cooking that you'd never find anywhere else?

that's like saying you'd rather wear K-mart jeans for life than a pair custom-made for you with the best materials for a year.

$40 steak = expensive food? Sure, subjectively, but there's bigger fish in the sea.

Go to the what are you eating todai thread and look at what SOEPOM posts. oh and her mistressette too (i made up that word to avoid the 's' one.)

Anyways, it's not like you're eating a $30-50 steak everyday, just like you're not paying $230 for Sammies everyday neither. If your friends are talking about food, do you REALLY think they're gonna talk about $8 burgers? Maybe, if the subject was about the best burger-- but come on, be realistic.

I can sympathize with you for being Mexican. Mexican food is quite cheap compared to many other foods, Chinese included. Hell, I live in what is arguably (ok it's probably just the best, whatevers to all you funny people) the best area for Chinese food in the US -- the San Gabriel Valley in LA. When Whites come here to eat Chinese food they always ask "How the hell does this business survive?! $6 entrees for a BIG platter, wtf?" to the more popular "Oh my lord, I'm dying-full from this dim-sum. SHIT only $10 per person?!" -- that shit's all common here. So like I said, I'll bet our perceptions on the price of food is probably way different than some other culture's.

The majority of the people are of Asian and Hispanic (mostly Mexican) descent here, and as such, food and family are major institutions of our daily lives. Both Asians and Hispanics don't throw ridiculous banquets or eat $40 steaks everyday, but when we throw something we go all out -- (see: Chinese wedding / 90th birthday of your grandparent ------------- Quincinera / Grandparent coming to visit from Guadalajara). But then every other day we can make a whole meal that costs on average $3, because they use cheap cuts of meat from the ethnic grocery store. You can do this because your parents know how to prepare it so that it not only tastes good, but is also tender- despite being a cheap cut of meat. So sure, because you can do this everyday you think food is expensive, but when you're paying $40 for a steak, you're not just paying for the steak, you're also paying for your experience and service. If you can't enjoy it, too bad!

So please, be real, and don't bag on food.

Its advertising and the fact that they are everywhere (chain resturants) that leads most people to eat there. Just like there lives simple, put it in front of them and they want it, they don't bother to search out a finer eating experience because its not hyped up as much. Same reason that half of america is not walking around in quality denim, because its not drilled 24/7 into their television. Its a personal freedom and higher level of personal taste that leads one to search out new cuisine and try them.

my rant was kind of exagerated but i do think its stupid to discuss expensive restaurants when you cant afford them. by 40 dollar steak i meant what i would actually pay, not with my parents or something.

its more about my harsh feeling towards people who feel cultured cuz they went to a nice restaurant and they remember the name of their plate.

whatever its all good

:)

i understand exactly where you're coming from now, fadingblue, and i'm on your side.

being a shithead and eating at a fancy restaurant just means that everyone in the fancy restaurant knows that you're a shithead.

I don't care about food, I just care about nice bathrooms.

I go out to eat just to go to the washroom just to look at myself in the mirror and examine the details of the place.

Best Bathroom i've ever been in was this blues themed BBQ place in Royal Oak Michigan, it is pretty much pitch black. I couldn't really see myself in the mirror which was a minor disappointment.

i know for myself i feel sometimes that my palette isn't mature enough?

for example i ate dinner at the CIA which is supposed to be one of the top schools for cooking and felt some of the food tasted for lack of a better word, weird.

a lot of it was very good, but others i was like what the fuck is this.

even the olive oil tasted different, i guess i'm just not used to GOOD food.

food is overrated

I dont think Ive ever disagreed with someone as much as I diagree with you on this thread/statement. I disagree so much that I feel like I can not even formulate an argument... its just like youre wrong. Food is one of those human universals that can not be replaced with anything and eating good food is an experience that makes me glad to be human. I guess in a sense this also falls into the superlative thinking that tends to consume my thinking; just as Im not interested in wearing some shitty jeans from Target that are mass produced garbage I sure as hell dont want to put something of a similar caliber into my body. In fact even more so than clothes or the like, I cant think of a more important time to be ultra selective.

haha to me a good dinner is way underrated. I live and go to school in SF which means Im broke as hell. I couldn't tell you the last time I had 3 meals in one day, or if I do eat out wasn't at some hole in the wall in Chinatown or Mission. An expensive meal to me is going to this little diner off Geary that has a $8 min for cards.