ATTENTION!!! Evisu Evis 2101 - homage to Lee 101 Rider- Mint

Vision-On

but do they have the evis logo or a evisu logo?

On the inside of jeans at the back they have a sewn in Evis logo (just like the picture above. I was surprised - I also assumed you'd only see Evis on the very early jeans - when I post a picture you can be sure -)

On the ouside above pocket on the waistband they have a smiling buddah on a while background again like the picture above.

The also have a blank label on the pocket (again like above) - the guy in the store said it was an old tradition so you could write your name on the jeans (he had the same blank tab on the pair he was wearing). He said the denin was 'special' not like the regular No1 or No2 also sold in the store. I have no Japanese - and his English was good - but not up to explaining exactly what was special!

The are missing any paint or decoration on the pocket.

Can't take pictures at the moment (I'm in Tokyo airport - and the jeans are checked!).

Will post some picures when I get home.

At the store in they show you quite a selection of colours and Logos (just like on the link Vision-On posted from the evisu japan website). if I'd have had time I really liked the black paint - very hard to see unless you look carefully. I read on one of the forums that on the 2101 Lee style jeans they paint the lasy S rather than the seagull - but since I didn't have time to wait I didn't discuss.

Will post picswhen I can.

If it helps the guy told me to wash them before I wore them (wash - flatten out by hand - then tumble OR if you don't have a tumbler - wash/dry three times).

I would be interested to see photos of the jean.

Evisu UK stated

just to let you know that evisu UK is pretty much ignorant about japanese evisu, they don't know jack-shit about it, at least 3 years ago they didn't, and they fail many times in giving accurate legit checks.

about your pair of jeans, i think i recall seeing them on rakuten for around 20k yens about 2 years ago, but i might be wrong, but the fact is that they do have the evis tag,instead of the actual evisu one, so they really may be from that year you stated, but i am pretty sure that you can still get that model in japan if you ask in the store, although it will probably come with and evisu tag and not evis

I was surfing around looking for the details of the Levis vs Evis lawsuit and found a new ( two day old) denim blog at

http://www.stealdenim.com/

The blogger has plagiarised my text on the history of Evisu and two of my pics of my Evis 2101 from this board along with a pic of the yellow 'Lazy S' from the kwan evis archive and published with no attribution to me or this board.

I wonder where his other posts are ripped from,

VANITY BLOGGING SUCKS

If he has to rip from this board at least he should link back and credit his sources, but I guess that would ruin his little ego trip.

Maybe he should change it from stealdenim to stealdenimposts

I would imagine he'll change it after he sees this- at least he'll get some traffic! lol

Yeah they look the same apart from the selvedge which is completely different on my pair, as it is white and has small threads coming from it at 16 cm intervals. I would be very interested to know what manufacture process could cause this

th_Evis2101Image15.jpg

th_Evis2101Image21.jpg

th_Evis2101Image16.jpg

th_Evis2101Image14.jpg

Regarding the Evis name they do seem to still use it in Japan ( as they still use the red tab on certain models, will this change after latest Levi copyright ruling?)

another example at

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/119788/

It seems that the 2101 seems to have been made on a limited scale since 1989/1990, not too many seem to have found their way out of Japan

Reading back over the Ebay description of these jeans the seller says

This really is a unique pair of Evis jeans. It is a very unique item that was bought from Duffer in London a long time ago. They cost major bucks then. The denim is raw

Duffers would seem to be a possible next line of enquiry...

The pockets are also a different shape, more angular on your pair. mine have much more of a curve around the arcs that lead to the bottom point.

Patch on left pocket looks way different too- got a better photo?

Wearing mine now, washed in machine,spin, tumble 5 mins then wore drying - post pics soon.

Yeah they look the same apart from the selvedge which is completely different on my pair, as it is white and has small threads coming from it at 16 cm intervals. I would be very interested to know what manufacture process could cause this

i was about to suggest a slight inconsistency in the weaving process which is understandable, but consistent inconsistencies 16cm apart?...now i'm interested in finding out as well.

Jacket info?

Cool fit on the after. Was worried when I read you washed (not soaked) 'em.

Nice pic on the shirt as well.

+ repped.

Thanks

Jacket - Evisu 3006- Gulls removed

I did actually do an agitated cold soak before I washed in machine but it didn't do the trick as was still left rigid with too much sizing/starch

Jean also hadn't shrunk much so I put in machine at 40 degrees.

No noticable indigo loss, but lost silver sheen.

Can't win 'em all!:P

th_Evis2101Image15.jpg

/quote]

Looks like I have something similar, take a look at :-

http://picasaweb.google.com/gregpicasa/Jeans/photo#5065969474650192290

Looks like a similar thread from the selvedge.

There is also a more detailed picture of the blank label here:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/gregpicasa/Jeans/photo#5065969500419996082

So I think this means that Evisu are still making very similar 2101 style jeans from very similar same type of denim that yours were made from some time ago - although there are some slight changes to pocket details etc.

If I'm not mistaken, these "inconsistencies" are part of the vintage looming process. To create a finished selvage, the weft is through the fabric multiple times until the thread runs out. At that point (16cm in your case) a new weft thread is ited to the end of the old weft and it is relooped through the weave. A diagram to better explain what I'm trying to say (where the arrows represent the weft and the & = the tie):

^<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<&

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&

^<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^

Most of the time these ties are snipped off before the product hits stores as part of the finishing, but in Evis's case, they're probably kept there on purpose as "proof" of their vintage looming process.

I'm sure somone can better explain what I'm talking about, though...

I wasn't actually referring to the coloured warp yarn on the selvedge,

I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether the weft thread on 2101s still in production in Japan is still

kept there on purpose as "proof" of their vintage looming process.

in which case the selvedge on gregd's jeans would look something like my pair when turned inside out

th_Evis2101Image21.jpg

thus displaying the (already documented) twin weft threads at 15 cm (after shrink) intervals. (16cm before shrink)

What makes me doubt slightly is the very different appearance of the anomaly, and as jubei points out, the apparent breaking of red warp yarn in both pics gregd posted

th_IMG_1379.jpg

th_IMG_1364.jpg

I cant see how the process of leaving weft threads loose/unfinished to indicate vintage looming could possibly break the coloured warp yarn.

:confused:

Better photos gregd; try using 'macro' button on camera for close-ups, and get an in-focus long-shot of inside out selvedge

As jubei says

Most of the time these ties are snipped off before the product hits stores as part of the finishing

Would original workwear, sold out of frontier town shacks ( not shiny boutiques) worn for backbreaking work in atrocious conditions have even had any purely cosmetic finishing ie careful snipping of 'invisible' stray threads along the selvedge?

Maybe this is a nod to the true utilitarian nature of the jean?

Pure speculation of course but interesting anyway....

• 1 year later...

2qmge3t.jpg

I've taken a few photos of my Evis Lee Riders. I got these in the mid 90s and just unpacked them to take a few photos if anyone is interested.

They've been in retirement for a while along with a lot of other denim from that period which I'm planning to supermarket soon.

The red painted arcuates have disappeared due to some harsh treatment and a boil wash (!)

The detailing on these jeans is really nice and the denim has a very soft, smooth feel.