so bored of slubby and streaky denim

i personally still love SDA. I think out of all the companies i've seen, their dye job is incredible. meaning, it takes A LOT of wear from me to even make a dent. And as far as them being boring? not anymore boring than flathead, skull, or ironhearts. I really want a pair of denime 66's to replace the ones i sold, but won't be getting those for a long while.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that comment on the amount of "grin" affecting fade is very interesting. HJJ - I really dont mind even if you did regard slub as inferior, different people are after different things in a pair of jeans. I didnt want to come off as confrontational, I just really wanted your opinion on differing fabrics cause I know you own some nice jeans that I have never experienced first hand. ( those christmas SDA were nuts ), im still longing for some 811, that link just tempts me even more!

I think maybe my next jeans will either be overdyed or something with a uniform weave for a project, but this is a long way off because of my oath of abstainence.

check out these slim steam locos, the fabric "appears" like TFH to me.

http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://www.g-a-r-d-e-n.com/onlineshop/view-a1-195.html

Also Id love to see someone break in the PBJ-006.

I also would love some more 'normal' canes than my edo ais.

I could go on and on...

The X03 cut is unproportional, the seat is too tight and the (back)rise is too low, in proportion to the legs, at least the way they fit me.

I want to see a 66 cut, then I will buy another pair of SDA and love them.

SDA's jeans, while good quality, are boring. The only thing that I like about them is the patch and of course the denim. Their printed tees are like the best things I've seen in my life, but the jeans are boring.

You put it in words. I used my sda 103's last summer in construction but not much other than that. I don't like the cut. the leg is true straight like tube leg or something. The color is amazing though.

to ride on HJJ's point about not being able to judge denim until you've broken it in, we've never actually seen what slubby or streaky denim looks like when its been broken in. i don't recall too many pictures of worn in nudie flame RRDS, and the current lot of eternals and KMW have only been around for a short while.

cyriel on mynudies had some crazy faded svenskas

anyway, it seems that we are talking about slubbiness (which occurs in yarns), weave irregularities, and dyeing irregularities, as if it were one thing. a very unfocused conversation.

I think HJJ's point is that all of those things have become overdone to him, and that he is more interested in quality denim of a more regular texture and color.

And I think you must have taken some of Violet Beauregarde's gum, Mr. Lizard, bcos you are looking distinctly purple around the gills. :(

Unfocused, though, yes, that's fair. Hey, wanna go ride bikes?

Call me crazy but I just returned my long awaited PBJ 007's because I was not too fond of the slub. But I also didn't really want another slim pair/low rise pair of jeans. I'm exchanging them for some SC Okinawas. But getting back to the slub factor,while it was interesting, I like smooth tightly woven denim. A little slub would not be bad but those were a little too much for my taste. I'm sure the Canes will have some, but the patch did it for me. Plus I'm a bigger guy so I wanted something a little more Anti-fit.

Hey, wanna go ride bikes?

if that's your way of asking if i want to hige my jeans, then i answer in the affirmative-----even though i'm so bored of bikes, and uh, riding stuff.

oh, i wasn't referring to the OP, per se, but the conversation is all over the place. an andulusian dog and such.

but i agree with HJJ, ultimately. my favorite jeans right now are the more understated 'uns------the eternals and 45rpms. i'm not a fan of exaggeration, either.

cyriel on mynudies had some crazy faded svenskas

anyway, it seems that we are talking about slubbiness (which occurs in yarns), weave irregularities, and dyeing irregularities, as if it were one thing. a very unfocused conversation.

yes, my bad.

we have some worn-in XX-005s, from headtowall etc

and john11f's Oni Blues representing the slub section

but nothing from the AI-001 (as yet?)

and we have a handful of svenskas, on mynudies as p.lizzy pointed out

but no eternal 868/872s, or KMW AWA

in short, whether slubby (yarn irregularities) or streaky (inherent to the dyeing), there have been precious few examples to show and tell in a proper comparison of denim after it has been worn in.

did i get that right?

only reason i've never been a huge fan of slubby is because it doesn't fade as nicely from what i've seen. i actually like contrasty fades and the smoother denim seems to be more conducive to that. i have SD-103's, and my only compaint is that the whole top block in the front is a little awkward. the hips flare out on mine, and the rise seems to long in the front in comparison to the back. the back is cut fine though.

I've been wearing my smooth SExIHBK for the last few days and put on my AWA today. What a difference! I find myself staring and touching my AWA a lot more than the SExIHBK.

I think it boils down to whether or not you want something that calls your attention or something that you put on and forget about. It all depends on the mood you're in I guess.

I tend to agree with most of the comments here.

When I first got my PBJ xx-003 I wasn't really impressed. Wearing them for a year now shows that their fade is a lot less interesting than my Nudie RRDS (for example). On the other hand, I've seen some PBJ distressed models (equivalent to 2-3 years of wear) which look amazing: especially their color.

My favorite pair in terms of fabric is (how boring) the Sugarcane 1947 (2nd place goes to SD-003).

Just my opinon...

I'm tempted to start a thread about how I'm bored of LHT denim and natural indigo.

Anyway, I'm a fan of slub for a few reasons. I like how it feels, I like other people wanting to stroke my leg, and I feel that it fits a niche in my collection. I wouldn't call any of the slubby jeans the best thing out there, but sometimes its nice to have something that looks and feels unique. Sometimes I want to pull something out that is nice right off the rack, not something that may look cool in 6-12 months time.

I agree that streaky/slubby denim ad variety to denim but at the same time they are not a prerequisite of quality/uniqueness (which I don't think people are trying to argue).

Correct me if I'm wrong but was there not a thread about a month ago discussing how slubbiness becomes a moot point after extended wear of jeans because all the slubby pieces wear off? I don't have any slubby jeans myself so I cannot personally verify this but I remember this being the gist of the thread.

I am also curious as to what extended wear does to streakiness as well; I would assume that a well worn streaky denim would really even out and not really have to much streaks left to them after a year of heavy wear and wash.

From this I could come to the conclusion that slubby/streaky denim is more a novelty for brand new denim but as you break in the jeans you realize that your slub/streaks are fleeting characteristic of your unworn jeans.

To answer about favorite fabrics: 1. Iron hearts 21 oz selvedge - I love how it feels so smooth almost like it is woven nylon rope or something and it looks incredible.

2. Sugarcane 1945 - I am getting close to the first wash and so far I am happy with the shades it is fading but also the feel of the heavy faded areas like the knees and thighs.

3. Lees euro line - Roscoe green line half selvedge(lht) - Yes they are bootcut, yes they had a light wash to them, and yes they might not even qualify as selvedge. But I have worn them well for a year and a half and wash them probably once a month and the feel of the fabric is incredible, it feels like velvet and they have not developed any areas that are possible holes or even thin spots I am extremely happy with them for 40 dollar jeans.

Im sooooo tired of sex and blow jobs. I prefer traditional kissing and dancing. It just seems like theres too much going on and it's too intense. After sex everything just goes back to how it was BEFORE sex, how lame is that? Blow jobs are a novelty, kissing is a much more authentic display of love, after all that's how they did it in 1947. We all know there was no sex in 1947.

So my point is...slub + streaky= awesome

Correct me if I'm wrong but was there not a thread about a month ago discussing how slubbiness becomes a moot point after extended wear of jeans because all the slubby pieces wear off? I don't have any slubby jeans myself so I cannot personally verify this but I remember this being the gist of the thread.

I am also curious as to what extended wear does to streakiness as well; I would assume that a well worn streaky denim would really even out and not really have to much streaks left to them after a year of heavy wear and wash.

From this I could come to the conclusion that slubby/streaky denim is more a novelty for brand new denim but as you break in the jeans you realize that your slub/streaks are fleeting characteristic of your unworn jeans....

I don't know if there was such a thread or not, but I do not agree that slubs or streaks will disappear entirely, or even substantially from jeans after extended wear, unless you are heavily bleaching or sanding your jeans all over.

The slubs are incorporated into the denim throughout the jean, as are the streaks; while the most abraded areas will have some homogenization over time, the less-worn areas will still have the slubs and streaks.

Thanks for the correction. I am gonna do some hunting on here and find that thread, I thought it was in regards to slubbiness but I guess I am wrong. I'll find it and link it.....

ok here is one thread I saw but I know there is another one at least.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=20154&page=4&highlight=uneven

I was referrring loosely to what viv was saying about PBJs

Hahaha, nice one low! You can allways pull out those beginXcane photos!!! I havent seen anyone else posting them. Your right about the 868s being similar to the KMW or shoais, those rogue knots eh! Ive got some the size of peas.... good to play with.

This is such a shot in the dark but id guess the jeans synthi posted are samurai, this is only from the selvedge though, but id be surprised and would like to know which model they are....

Thought id paste my comments from the slubfeind thread at SF...

"I think onis are very slubby from what ive seen, they maintain the irregularities through fading. Check out john11fs on SuFu. Ive said it before but as my PBJs fade the texture smooths down and the slub effect diminishes, when new they were hairy and bobbly-knobbly to touch now they are smooth, head to walls PBJs have faded in a very smooth APC manner from what I can tell ( I own pbjs and APCs btw ).... John11fs onis look slubby post fade, H2W's pbjs not so much. My eternal 868s are nuts, the warp thread triples and quad-drouples in size in an inconsistent manner, ive posted pics on SuFu, these are very very inconsistently woven and are slubby, streaky but not as knobblybobbly as my (new) PBJs- however unlike my PBJ because of the weave I expect this slubby flame effect will hardly decrease with fade and washing. I also own some Canes natural edo ais ( the torquoise ones! ) and Samurais s5000bk both have a small degree of the "slub" but nothing in comparison with Pbj. Let alone the 868s

However if slubby refers to the uneven dying... then the canes win hands down!

This is a really interesting thread, I personally would like to see bumpier fabrics like PBJs rather than smoother yet irregular flamesque weaves like the shoais and 868 etc. But there are more aspects to jeans than slub. And im a slubfeind!"

then i said:

"I wouldn't really discribe my Canes as slubby, they are definately woven with inconsistencies (sp?) and have beautiful striation, but the texture is not as irregular as PBJ or my eternal 868s,...... when my pbjs were new the texture was like a knobbly seer sucker denim - if that makes any sense??

I think you guys think slubby is hairy

Someone said slubby was a measure of the differing saturation of dye

I think slubby is inconsistent weave and texture and a varying size of warp thread."

so yeah....... denim, nice.

And I was wondering if anyone else had experianced this or had some really worn in slubby/streaky denim we could see a picture of.

the knobblyness has gone from my thighs, ive washed em and they are not as textured to stroke as my shins are on the PBJs, that said, the irregular fading is proof enough that slubbiness hasnt decreased but rather it has remained albeit smoother!?!?! if you get me? But that fact that the warps are unevenly sized remains, they have just been smoothed over, maybe similar to how rought denim goes smooth and soft?? I dunno.

Apart from the pics of peoples onis and PBJs I cant think of many slubby faded examples off the top of my head. It would be cool to see the 18oz slubbys in a year or two.

Ride what again?