MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

why does everyone hate on the glossy screen? Shit is pretty cool

also, does anyone have the 15'' MBP that came out in oct 08 with the 2g's of ram? (before the newer, cheaper mbp's) Has anyone upgraded to 4gigs and would you recommend it? Would my cpu greatly benefit from it?

That model can utilize up to 6gb of ram. Officially its 4gb. Other World Computing offers the 6gb (4+2) for around $160. This memory would boost your system a lot.

crucial offers the 4gb for $55.00, i think its worth it if you do enough stuff on your computer that eats up your shit. recently did the upgrade, it makes for nicer multi-tasking with photoshop open

Do the new macbook unibodys overheat like crazy in bootcamp? I use a fan control program to put the fans at max whenever I boot into windows to play games, but my machine still shutsdown from overheating.

which size screen and model do you have?

hey guys, what are you guys using to upload your pictures from our DSLR? ive got a nikon d80 and the only way to upload images is to get a usb cable and connect my camera to my cpu. Even then, uploading and viewing are a rather tedious task. There has to be a more simplified way to do this, right?

anyone recommend a good mouse for my new macbook?

i've heard the ergonomics and the scroller are particularly questionable on the mighty mouse, so, as a designer, i'm hesitant.

i want something relatively portable and blue-tooth operable (no silly gadgets in my usb ports).

i've heard good things about the logitech something revolution? don't think it's blue-tooth though.

TIA.

Guest on-display

I replaced my previous gen macbook pro because the logic board was fucked so I just took the hard drive out. how much can I sell it for?

specs

15"

2.2ghz

2gb ram

Guest on-display
anyone recommend a good mouse for my new macbook?

i've heard the ergonomics and the scroller are particularly questionable on the mighty mouse, so, as a designer, i'm hesitant.

i want something relatively portable and blue-tooth operable (no silly gadgets in my usb ports).

i've heard good things about the logitech something revolution? don't think it's blue-tooth though.

TIA.

I have the vx nano and love it. Its a great portable mouse but it connects via usb. My second choice was the logitech v740 which is bluetooth and is probably the closest you'll get to the style of the mighty mouse / macook pro. Both are win.

the mouse you're talking about is the mx revolution

last year, logitech released a bluetooth package that has the keyboard + mx revolution mouse. that might be an option.

also, check out this thread on macrumors about bluetooth mouses: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=766208

cheers.

I have the mx nano and love it. Its a great portable mouse but it connects via usb. My second choice was the logitech v740 which is bluetooth and is probably the closest you'll get to the style of the mighty mouse / macook pro. Both are win.

v470? yeah, looks like i'll decide between that and the vx nano.

main difference, as far as i can see, (other than a few extra buttons on the nano) is that it runs from a tiny usb dongle whereas the v470 runs natively on bluetooth.

bluetooth is obviously more appealing, but perhaps less accurate, and i'm guessing will run my battery down quicker than using the usb dongle? anyone?

as much as people rag on the mighty mouse, i find it not too terrible. The accuracy as precise as id like, but its pretty handy. I dont really kno whow to rate mice, or how they differ, but i do know the MM isnt as 'fast' as others i have used

i just replaced the battery on it for the first time since i purchased it in february and i use it almost daily.

^ by battery i meant the laptop battery. wouldn't the v470 be thirstier than the vx nano, for example?

almost sold on the vx nano.. but.. i've been told due to the hyper-scrolling there is no real middle button function. meaning, it's going to be a pain in the ass for me to pan / swivel / etc. in cad programs. fuck.

Just a reminder how apple test the batteries:

"The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%."

From what I see around you will get around 6 hours.

I like the 13" but would only get the cheaper model. The processor is a very minor difference and ram can be upgraded for very cheap. I don't know why people worry about hd space anymore when external hd of 500gb is under $100. (as a side note I would still rather get an acer 11" netbook which you can get for under $300 at some places. and i'm a hardcore apple nerd)

looking for a good organizer/day planner program that is easier to interface with than iCalendar. Need something infinitely simple and universally useful. halp?

I can't imagine anything simpler than iCal. How detailed is your day? Do you plan for each minute? You can set up iCal to day view and adjust the window to best size for you. Here are some good tips for using iCal

http://www.43folders.com/2006/08/30/ical-tips-recap

I have about 6-7 separate calendars in iCal and use them daily. Can't even imagine using something like outlook/entourage.

If you still want something smaller there as an app called "Calendar 0.43" but I think it's pretty old.

Check out gmail calendar. Lots of people use it and you can access it anywhere.

Guest on-display
^ by battery i meant the laptop battery. wouldn't the v470 be thirstier than the vx nano, for example?

almost sold on the vx nano.. but.. i've been told due to the hyper-scrolling there is no real middle button function. meaning, it's going to be a pain in the ass for me to pan / swivel / etc. in cad programs. fuck.

you can adjust the scroll wheel to be more rigid/ precise if thats what your talking about

^ not quite what i meant. you push the scroll button down in cad programs to pan / swivel / etc. when you push down on the vx nano scroll button it simply goes to hyper-scroll mode, rendering it almost useless for me.

anyway, bought the v470. i'm slowly adjusting to the size, it felt awfully small out of the box - it's about 3/4 size. accuracy seems to be more of an issue than lag, so we'll see how that goes when i'm back on cad.

also, the progressive acceleration built into the mac os is fucking frustrating. i might look into 'steer mouse', heard it can help.

and yeahhhhh

i just got my mbp 13" today

i'm getting a feel for it; only complaint so far is not being able to right click and sending stuff to the trash

what programs do you recommend? i'm trying to get up on my torrent game too, so holla at me with any suggestions (+rapes will be given)

not being able to right click? just put two fingers on the touchpad and click...