Jazz / Blues

airfrogusmc

ok, so i did a little more research. he perhaps used different tunings and alternated the top strings for the bass line, then used the bottom for chords. you can see in his photos that he doesn't barre the chords all the way to the top. could be the way he did it.

or of course, he really did sell his soul to the devil at the crossroads.

apparently, all you have to do is go down to any lonely crossroads in the deep south around midnight, with your guitar. start tuning up and wait for the man to approach....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, listened to robert johnson's complete recordings.

i don't know how he could have played all that guitar by himself. sounds impossible to me. plus, he was singing. how can you play an alternating blues line and play all those embellishments at the same time?

AMAZING!!!!

back in the day, fleetwood mac took a lot of acid. peter green went crazy from this if i remember...

anyways, if we're talking about the new school, including british blues and american white guy blues then:

-mike bloomfield

-jeff beck

-jimmy page

-clapton

-robbie robertson (canadian, oh well)

-pete townsend (better than you all will give him credit for)

-alvin lee

-jeremy spencer (who played alongside peter green in the original fleetwood mac)

-johnny winter

-taj mahal

-ry cooder

there are plenty of others, including the ever amazing jimi hendrix

Saw Johnny winter playing guitar for Willie Dixon at Chicago Fest. WHOA It don't get better than that. I Can't Quit You Baby and You Shook Me never sounded better and thats not put'n down Zep its just this was that much better.

Saw Johnny winter playing guitar for Willie Dixon at Chicago Fest. WHOA It don't get better than that. I Can't Quit You Baby and You Shook Me never sounded better and thats not put'n down Zep its just this was that much better.

unfortunately, i was sick the night he played right up the road from me x.x

i would've killed to see him

next time he comes around, im goin

unfortunately, i was sick the night he played right up the road from me x.x

i would've killed to see him

next time he comes around, im goin

But to see Johnny with the great Willie Dixon play'n all those old blues standards. Willie with his stand up bass and pink derby. Did Spoonful like Cream could only dream of...

Some artits that I haven't seen mentioned yet, but who deserve some listening:

Mississippi John Hurt

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee

Luke Jordan

Leadbelly

Skip James

Bukka White

Sleepy John Estes

Otis Spann

I'm going to beg forgiveness in advance for any repeats. There are just tons and tons of good blues musicians.

when people say someone is good at the blues--like stevie ray vaughn, eric clapton, jimi-- they are usually referring to blues soloing. i'm noticing that the old guys play so much better accompanyment to their own singing. it's much more complex and technically demanding. does anyone else notice this, or am i crazy?

jimi is one of the only "modern" blues players i've listened to that has super rhythm chops on the level of the old-timers. am i wrong about this?

cool, i gotta check peter green out. do you suggest his fleetwood mac stuff?

btw, many people claim that robert johnson's and many other old blues recordings on 78 were artificially sped up. here's a website which slowed down a lot of the recordings:

http://www.touched.co.uk/press/rjnote.html

a lot of the old 78 recordings sound sped up to me (not just rober johnson's). i actually like robert johnson's songs a little bit slowed down. i can hear more of the nuances in his voice. his playing sounds more humanly possible.

i wonder what would happen if you sped up jimi?

Theres a best of Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac thats a great record. Black Magic Woman, Oh Well Pt 1 & 2. check the great blues jam Something Inside of Me and you'll see why allot of blues folks held him in such high esteem. With blues its not what you play that can be so important. Allot of guys never get that. As much as I like Gary Moore I remember seeing a video a while back where he was talking with the great Albert King and Albert was kind of scolding him say in blues its sometime import to know when not to play. I don't think there was a blues guitar player better at building a solo that Albert. Check it out on Drifting Blues from Thursday Night in San Francisco from the Fillmore. He starts out kinda slow and builds into an incredible solo. I think Peter had some of these sensibilities.

And we're talking Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac. Thats stuff that was recorder long before the girls when they were still a great band.

• 1 year later...

I've just started to get into jazz and blues, I'm a real big fan of Esperanza Spalding. I was wondering who else people would suggest to get into coming from deep hip hop listening and breakdancing roots. It'd be greatly appreciated!

I'm basically jazz illiterate, but I know what I like. My findings are random though. Clark Terry is cool, and he has tons of collaborations with other artists. Miles Davis isn't played out at all if you're new to him. Guys like Jacques Loussier rearrange classical music to jazz. His version of the 5th Brandenburg is really nice, especially the drum "cadenza". Bossa nova is great. That linked thread mentions some good bossa nova, but also check out Hotel Costes (anything you can find is fucking awesome) and Astrud Gilberto (again her collaborations are where the magic is).

*edit ~ Fat Possum Records is a very current resource for blues.

I'm basically jazz illiterate, but I know what I like. My findings are random though. Clark Terry is cool, and he has tons of collaborations with other artists. Miles Davis isn't played out at all if you're new to him. Guys like Jacques Loussier rearrange classical music to jazz. His version of the 5th Brandenburg is really nice, especially the drum "cadenza". Bossa nova is great. That linked thread mentions some good bossa nova, but also check out Hotel Costes (anything you can find is fucking awesome) and Astrud Gilberto (again her collaborations are where the magic is).

*edit ~ Fat Possum Records is a very current resource for blues.

Stan Getz plays Bossa nova/jazz fused too.

For cool jazz (that slow NY loungy type jazz) try Lester Young, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sara Vaughn and cosign on Miles Davis and John Coltrane two of my favorites.

http://www.winduplounge.com

Miles Davis will never be played out. never ever. check Coltrane 59-65, early Mingus, early Monk (pre European recordings)

for blues its all about Son House, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters (Electric Mud is a good later funk/blues recording)

as for blues the record you HAVE to have is B.B. King's Live at the Regal Theatre. They call him the King of the Blues for the reason. I'd also recommend some Stevie Ray Vaughan, Freddie King, or Eric Clapton. There's also a lot of young people keeping the Blues alive like John Mayer and Jonny Lang. Check them out. Trust me.

Stan Getz plays Bossa nova/jazz fused too.

For cool jazz (that slow NY loungy type jazz) try Lester Young, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Sara Vaughn and cosign on Miles Davis and John Coltrane two of my favorites.

haha, you're not exactly professor jazz, are you? i do love me some pres though.

• 8 months later...

If you like Kenny Burrell, you'll LOVE Charlie Christian. He was fetured with Benny Goodman's Sextet. I'm not sure if you're interest in Swing era stuff, but Christian's guitar playing really is timeless.

Of the top of my head, check out: Lionel Hampton, Count Basie, Lester Young, Cootie Williams, Fletcher Henderson, Mary Lou Williams, Mead Lux Lewis

You may also like jump blues players like T-bone Walker.

Oh yeah, [thread=24555]this thread[/thread] may help too.

watch Cadillac Records :)

I know... its a movie so of course it's not completely accurate, but its a pretty good movie and you get to learn about Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Howlin Wolf, and Etta James. Plus its cool to see Mos Def acting/singing as Chuck Berry

• 6 months later...

I want to talk about blues music with y'all.

There's a couple old ass threads about this but fuck that. Shit is too dead to be resurrected, y'know?

Anyways, if there's anyone other than me interested in blues, of whatever historicity, post what you like and let's jam.

BtZ6DoeimP4

uRtd9TFfScU

8jN5vqEyV7g

sqgcM_CmhdA

• 5 months later...

Not Blues in the classic sense but rather "Garage Blues".. Black Keys is extra dope and the new song sounds like classic Black Keys. Dope shit

http://stereogum.com/325032/the-black-keys-tighten-up-next-girl/mp3s/

Any body have any suggestions of any modern Blues artists or bands. Trtying to catch up on some good Blues. Please no John Mayer or I will be forced to eat my penis.