Some cool, distressed denim

hawkeye

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Don't think I ever posted these and thought this thread would be fitting. Denim workwear in Vietnam shot from a moving taxi, hence the blurry pic. Same fit for all guys in various states of distress.

IMG_3407.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was directed to another source of mid-century photos by Archival Clothing's twitter.

I was hoping photos of the Hanford Site, this government town funded by the Manhattan Project, would be a mint of old denim photos. Unfortunately so far I've only found a few blue jeans shots in the flickr stream. There are probably more at the official website, but I haven't had a ton of time to look through--and navigation there isn't too user friendly.

The denim pickings are slim but there're plenty of VERY interesting shots of nuke-era American culture. You should browse through the flickr site for those if nothing else. There are also lots of great leather jackets, boots, bib overalls, and chino workpants. And blackface. Can't forget the blackface.

So here's what I've found. Hopefully some other, more talented photo-pickers can find some gems at the .gov site.

3443892312_f23de0c2fc_z.jpg

February 1944 Hanford Workers

3434094230_493c0a6bd3_z.jpg

CAFETERIA SCENE - HANFORD, CIRCA 1944

3433253815_1d4b6fb90e_z.jpg

RECREATION HALL - BILLIARDS

3442654263_d92685960d_z.jpg

RECREATION AT CAMP HANFORD

3433966964_0712b39988_z.jpg

1952 HAMTC MINSTREL SHOW

3430485215_3e87e2cdf3_z.jpg

1953 300 AREA LABS - PENCILS AND BADGES, RADIATION SIGNS [and herringbone twill -ed.]

3433206219_97264931db_z.jpg?zz=1

MANAGERS MEETING WITH JAPANESE VISITORS [No denim, plenty of WTF -ed.]

Note: there are also lots of pretty girls. I guess government schmoes really pulled the pretty ones back then?

AC is a really great blog, BTW, though it is disturbingly dismissive of vintage denim. How dare they so much as imply that my obsession is silly. HOW DARE THEY.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...