Some cool, distressed denim

hawkeye

just noticed the runoff stitch on the pocket...pre-war?? Very small size. This kid is featured in a few pictures from the last couple pages including one in the same post, can't tell much other than he is a total pimple-faced geek who was likely beat up a helluva lot

Heh, he's actually the guy whose photostream all the pics come from. If someone had a lot of time they could go through the entire lot and put together all the shots of his Levi's to see the evo.

wow, a well traveled geek. Pretty fascinating thread. I'm about 50 pages in and I think he has been to 25 countries before he hit 16 and probably the entire US. Very envious....of the US travel, who cares about the rest.

Jeans are still a mystery. Found a video where the single needle is evident but you can make out an offset belt loop and paper patch. I will go through the additional 300 pages of photos tomorrow.

you know the full version of the first one (amazing!) is in your book, Paul. It shows a marvellous pair of levis with a mouthwatering 'traintracks' fade.

I didn't feel like scannering it and posting it here though...

you know the full version of the first one (amazing!) is in your book, Paul. It shows a marvellous pair of levis with a mouthwatering 'traintracks' fade.

I didn't feel like scannering it and posting it here though...

Claxton was a wonderful guy - Graham Marsh, the deigner I did the book with (he's on the wayjdt thread) knows him from way back. We had to pay him for the shots, obviously, but he let us have them for press use for free, cos he's a denim fan. Or was. I wish I'd met him. And Steve McQueen, of course. I've been wearing that 501/Wrangler 27MW combination a lot over the last few weeks.

the last pic of steve sitting is by roy schatt, and its shott in roys backyard in the 50s. same place a lot of nice james dean pics happend, and maybe deans best new york pics were by roy anyway.

I have vague feeling these first two pics have been posted before... Or maybe my mind is playing me cruel tricks? I am pissing myself of fear here, but I'm gon' post these anyway... Krezy ol' rugged blue jeans on tis kay. Lookie hier. Krezy rugged amazon princesses of bike wieldin art time war machinery in last pic check it out before internet die day.

75614803b883173b_large

13965f240cd38239_large

31e80c070a96c2d6_large

bd2a3df3ef7c1a2d_large

eef2ef65573edeb6_large

e5ef5df3b51fc5d4_large

2537d172be68e529_large

28da29441b4bce76_large

yes almost all of em. preaty hard to find new ones on the life site at the moment. but latly there have been a lot of reposts.

since i was a bmxer, the pics with the kids on the bike are the oldest pics of kids jumping and imitating motorcycles i have ever seen. way befor the stingray period. those are historical

Not all of them, seriously? I need some fresh air.

I keep a pretty close eye on this thread, one or two looked familiar but it was great to see them all in sequence, especially those biker shots .

There's somethign about those women from the late 40s, a kind of sassy independence before consumerism took over in the 50s.

The Alabama Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Company of Mobile, AL was one of the United States largest shipyards. Employing nearly 19,000 people by 1943, they were an integral part of the war effort during WWII. Photographer George Strock did a nice photo essay for Life Magazine of the company and it's workers in 1941 (click on the pics for a larger view):

0a81c004429de458_large.jpg

0ed1caa0a2683948_large.jpg

6da32f0f6bed1c32_large.jpg

44f43e62c5afa322_large.jpg

479ed4ac750c535d_large.jpg

b448c29886423b1e_large.jpg

a88fe410615dce78_large.jpg

ee617ee02f54ac99_large.jpg

Repost by request of Fardin (originally posted on my blog www.rivet-head.blogspot.com)

awesome,Rivet!first pic goes straight to your username.see that glowing in the bucket?thats a freshly heated rivet,ready to go into the ships sheets.thats the same way they builded ships here for over 150 years:rivets where blazed in a fire and thrown to the next riveter who caught them in such a bucket before he riveted the sheets together.