Some cool, distressed denim

hawkeye

^Glad you enjoyed them, I love looking through the LIFE archives...Fardin seems to have gotten all the good shots though and I do remember seeing that "cinch" pic being on here before...Curious details on that pair, patch and tab are seemingly on the wrong side? Any vintage pro's out there that could identify (possibly non-Levi's, or is the image flipped some magical way?)

can rep you either aho, great pics. its a bit tough looking through the life site. i think the pic is flipped around, there are a couple of others from the arizona u wich seem the other way around.

a bit off topic but i wached streetcar with brando again an his jeans have a cinch, it may be customized though, cause otherwise it does not make sense

^Glad you enjoyed them, I love looking through the LIFE archives...Fardin seems to have gotten all the good shots though and I do remember seeing that "cinch" pic being on here before...Curious details on that pair, patch and tab are seemingly on the wrong side? Any vintage pro's out there that could identify (possibly non-Levi's, or is the image flipped some magical way?)

Yes, it's been flipped (look at the fly on the guy being thrown into the lake. Lots of agency images get reversed when they're duped - usually color transparency, but black and white too, which are often duped onto slides so they can be scanned more easily.

When I worked on a couple of music mags, I'd regularly have brain embolisms in sheer rage at designers who'd put images of a right-handed Kurt Cobain or Jimi Hendrix on the page.

can rep you either aho, great pics. its a bit tough looking through the life site. i think the pic is flipped around, there are a couple of others from the arizona u wich seem the other way around.

a bit off topic but i wached streetcar with brando again an his jeans have a cinch, it may be customized though, cause otherwise it does not make sense

They aren't customized Fardin, they are the last 37-42 501 to be made, having all the details of the 37 jean, but with a Laurel leaf donut button aka WW2. Love 'em!

this thread is a treasure.i am glad to have fardin and now aho( could rep!) to manage and care for this so well.the info one can get just from watching the pics is amazing.i always come back drooling over older pages and find new details.

Agreed..

..And dont forget Meader, wherever He's got to.

It's always a sad reminder to see that denim, as a part of American culture historically, was unfortunately also a part of American Racial politics...Not saying that denim is racist or anything though (lol) just saying that damn, I wish that people I don't want to like dressed so well ahaha

EDIT: rufio, that site is so good! keep posting all those colored pics...there were a few more updates from 1/21 on there that would be good on here! ;)