Baseball Talk

kiya

Kuroda has a 0.54 ERA against the cubs and Lowe has a 1.93 ERA against them. ALL of them games have been within two runs. I wouldnt count us out if our bullpen can hold it together and the youngins can get on base.

WS odds

Chisox - A HELL of a lot better than the TWINS.

Twins - Fuck yourself. Go home and cry.

Brewers 10 to 1

Dodgers 9 to 1

Phils 8 to 1

BoSox 3.5 to 1

Rays 3.5 to 1

Cubs 3 to 1

Angels 3 to 1

Edited for actuality.

:)

YEAH! Sox! That was the best game they've played ALL year.

-Jake

The Cubs didn't come up big tonight, that's for sure. If you look at the Cubs Dodgers games this season, you see a familiar scene - all the games the Cubs won were close; all the games the Dodgers won were not. Tonight fit that pattern.

-Jake

in a team sport doesn't mean much but he sure does a good job balancing personalities.

i'll give him that.

I'm of the opinion that is what a manager is supposed to do. That and make intelligent decisions about game play. From that perspective, I'd say the 4 rings does mean something.

2008 AL and NL MVPs?

It hard for me to vote for someone whos team did not make the playoffs, so as much as I think Delgado carried the Mets in the second half, they would still be out of the playoffs without Delgado. Manny? He certainly helped turn the Dodgers around but can you pick someone who spent 2 months on the team? I think you can, thats why I'm picking CC Sabathia who totally helped the Brewers make the playoffs.

AL - I had Carlos Quentin for alot of the year and still think he's a good pick although the white sox did barely made the playoffs without him. I think Dustin Pedroia would be my pick...everytime I saw the Red Sox play, Pedroia seemed to make them tick.

2008 CY Youngs are a bit easier...my votes are for Cliff Lee in the AL and Webb with Lincecum a close second (18 wins on the SF Giants? WOW!!) I've heard people say Brad Lidge which is an interesting pick.

2008 AL and NL MVPs?

It hard for me to vote for someone whos team did not make the playoffs, so as much as I think Delgado carried the Mets in the second half, they would still be out of the playoffs without Delgado. Manny? He certainly helped turn the Dodgers around but can you pick someone who spent 2 months on the team? I think you can, thats why I'm picking CC Sabathia who totally helped the Brewers make the playoffs.

AL - I had Carlos Quentin for alot of the year and still think he's a good pick although the white sox did barely made the playoffs without him. I think Dustin Pedroia would be my pick...everytime I saw the Red Sox play, Pedroia seemed to make them tick.

2008 CY Youngs are a bit easier...my votes are for Cliff Lee in the AL and Webb with Lincecum a close second (18 wins on the SF Giants? WOW!!) I've heard people say Brad Lidge which is an interesting pick.

You can make a good case for Roy Halladay too - 20 wins on the offense-less Blue Jays. Though yeah, I think Cliff Lee is the obvious choice.

I'm of the opinion that is what a manager is supposed to do. That and make intelligent decisions about game play. From that perspective, I'd say the 4 rings does mean something.

i agree

as many times as I have said i could have managed the Yankees, a manager now adays is basically a babysitter for millionaire babies....Joe Torre has that lovable uncle/grandpa thing going for him and seems most of players respect him and thats half the battle.....how many other professions does your manager make less than the workers......

I liked Joe Torre until he became a yankee...but he was a pretty mediocre manager up until that point....but he has found his niche....not so much managing but babysitting good players.......though it does seem likes he's had to manage a bit more on the Dodgers with all the young players and NL style baseball.......

my mvps:

AL MVP

1. quentin (carried them pretty much)

2. pedroia (split with #3)

3. youklis (split with #2)

NL MVP

1. Howard

2. pujols

3. santana

AL Cy Young

1. Roy Halladay (tougher division)

2. Cliff Lee

3. Dice K/Lester

NL CY Young

1. lincecum

2. santana

3. webb

Any Phillies fans? Hoping Sabathia has problems like last year in the post season and the Phils can get some hits. Myers hopefully will do good against the young Brewers.

If the Phils can get a couple of lucky breaks off Sabathia (like they did yesterday, with errors/Cameron's flub) and Myers pitches more like he did last time against the brewers (CG) rather than his last few starts (disastrous), the Phils will win. I don't see them solving Sabathia -- I just hope they don't end up burning their entire bullpen b/c of a Myers meltdown when beating Sabathia is long odds anyway. Despite all that, looking forward to watching it!

I've heard people say Brad Lidge which is an interesting pick.

I watched a good number of Phils games this year and Lidge has been great, but I think he already won the award he deserved with comeback player of the year. People say you can't argue with a perfect season of saves, but after the AS break he was rarely dominant the way a Cy Young winner should be--like Lincecum has been and Sabathia and Santana were most nights. The Phils would never have made the postseason with Tom Gordon or Brett Myers closing games, but that doesn't make Lidge Cy Young material. I may be a little biased by Lidge's last few appearances, which have been Mitch Williams-like

sox are going to dominate the rays, this should be a quick series. i'm dying to see the sox and the cubs in the world series, as much as I hate cubs fans (I live on the north side) I'd love to see them get to the WS and then royally blow it :)

you really think so?

big sox fan here and tampa scares the fuck out of me

2008 AL and NL MVPs?

AL - I think Dustin Pedroia will win the MVP over Quentin for a few reasons.

He stepped up when the team needed him (batted cleanup for 4 games and absolutely killed it), led the league in hits, finished 2nd in batting, led the league in runs, played phenomenal defense, and played all but 5 games. Another big factor is that he plays in a huge media market. Hurting his case is that Youkilis had a monster year as well, so they will likely steal votes from each other.

Quentin has a legitimate chance to win, but he only played 130 games and while he led the league in HRs, he only had 36. Not exactly a monster power performance. He also only had 100 RBI, which is good, but not MVP good.

You could also make an argument for Morneau, but not making the playoffs hurts his chances.

NL - It's gotta be Pujols.

i agree

as many times as I have said i could have managed the Yankees, a manager now adays is basically a babysitter for millionaire babies....Joe Torre has that lovable uncle/grandpa thing going for him and seems most of players respect him and thats half the battle.....how many other professions does your manager make less than the workers......

I liked Joe Torre until he became a yankee...but he was a pretty mediocre manager up until that point....but he has found his niche....not so much managing but babysitting good players.......though it does seem likes he's had to manage a bit more on the Dodgers with all the young players and NL style baseball.......

Eh, it's hard for me to give Torre that much credit, because even though he made the playoffs, the Dodgers finished only 6 games above .500. In the NL West it's hard not to make the playoffs. Plus he was literally handed a first ballot Hall of Famer in Manny Ramirez.