Baseball Talk

kiya

So the sum total of moves by the White Sox today was nothing more than shoring up our strengths (hr's and pop) and doing nothing to address our weaknesses, and possibly exacerbating them.

This move is the ultimate testimony to Kenny's reliance on "if it ain't broke (yet!) don't fix it (but fucking soon you'll have to!)".

If it gets us into the post season, I'll be content, although whether the White Sox needed to do this to get there in the first place is debatable.

Some pitching moves might have been more effective imho, but oh well.

Bring on the Griff!

-Jake

^ looks like he's going to stay put. but that's a good thing, right? i mean for you guys.

Production wise, absolutely.

However, in light of Manny's behavior and comments over the last few days I really can't envision him playing with the Red Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if they just bench him for the rest of the season. He really dissed the Red Sox organization to the point where I don't think things can work for the next couple of months.

The Red Sox traded embattled slugger Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers late Thursday afternoon, SI.com has learned.

Jason Bay is headed to Boston as part of the deal, SI.com has learned. The Pirates will get four minor leaguers in the three-way trade.

The Red Sox went back-and-forth with the Marlins and Dodgers as the 4 p.m. ET deadline approached. Ramirez said earlier today, as first reported by SI.com, that he would accept a trade to any team.

The announcement will be made in conjunction with a World Baseball Classic announcement at Dodger Stadium shortly.

The club options on Ramirez's contract for $20 million each in both 2009 and '10 were dropped.

My sources say that Manny to the Dodgers is a done deal. Don't know who the Dodgers gave up to get him though.

Not sure that Manny is gonna get the Dodgers where they need to go, but it's definitely an interesting move.

edit - Do'h! See above post...

-Jake

I can't believe they gave up Moss and Hansen too.

I didn't foresee them re-signing Hansen, but I thought Moss could be a long term 4th outfielder.

I wonder if this effects Coco's situation for next year. He'll likely be gone though.

Eh, I'm pretty okay with Hansen gone actually, might see Bowden or Buccholz in the pen at some point now. I think Coco's situation for next season depends greatly on how Ellsbury does the rest of this season I'd say. If Jacoby can turn this slump hes in around then I doubt he's back, but if he continues to struggle, who knows.

Eh, I'm pretty okay with Hansen gone actually, might see Bowden or Buccholz in the pen at some point now. I think Coco's situation for next season depends greatly on how Ellsbury does the rest of this season I'd say. If Jacoby can turn this slump hes in around then I doubt he's back, but if he continues to struggle, who knows.

Oh I'm totally OK with Hansen being traded, I was just a little surprised that he was added in to the mix having never heard his name come up.

I'm pretty sure his contract was up at the end of the season and it was doubtful the Sox would've resigned him anyway. Hopefully when Colon is healthy they'll move Buchholz to the pen and perhaps call up Bowden on Sept 1.

wow, giles vetoed the sox deal?

Meh, we didn't really need him, it was only a move to block the Rays from getting him.

Looks like the Mets are scrambling for bullpen help... ERA's since the allstar break:

Scott Schoeneweis, 5.14.

Duaner Sanchez, 5.40.

Pedro Feliciano, 8.10.

Joe Smith, 9.53.

Aaron Heilman, 11.32.

YIKES!

Meh, we didn't really need him, it was only a move to block the Rays from getting him.

Looks like the Mets are scrambling for bullpen help... ERA's since the allstar break:

Scott Schoeneweis, 5.14.

Duaner Sanchez, 5.40.

Pedro Feliciano, 8.10.

Joe Smith, 9.53.

Aaron Heilman, 11.32.

YIKES!

Also he's a 10-5 guy and would give that up($$) if he went elsewhere. Not to mention he'd probably see limited playing time in Boston.

Also he's a 10-5 guy and would give that up($$) if he went elsewhere. Not to mention he'd probably see limited playing time in Boston.

I think it has more to do with the fact that he probably didn't want to move from SD to Boston for just 2-3 months. He's probably got a family in SD he wouldn't want to uproot. There's no way the Sox would pick up the 9 million dollar option on him, so he would clearly be a rental player for the remainder of the season.

Pretty much. He's having a decent season, but he doesn't offer the Sox anything. The Sox would have to pay him the remainder of his $9m salary and give up a player in a trade. Doesn't make much sense. This was clearly just to block a trade to the Rays, but I don't think they would have gone after him anyway because of his price tag.

they need a bullpen like this. without it, they can't fuck me in september like every other year.

Scott Schoeneweis, 5.14.

Duaner Sanchez, 5.40.

Pedro Feliciano, 8.10.

Joe Smith, 9.53.

Aaron Heilman, 11.32.

YIKES!