Denim shops in Tokyo

atom

wow i wish i had seen this thread before i asked my question in superjetset/small questions. i feel stupid now

anyway whats smart clothing store? im not necessarily into sda/pbjs since i already have some but im looking to diversify. maybe samurais eternals, or flat heads.. actually im pretty much up for anything. is there something along the lines of like hinoya in the harajuku area? i dont want to drag my friends out to ueno just so i can buy jeans lol

train ride from harajuku to ueno actually takes about 26mins. i just took it a few weeks ago. there's a lot of samurai and flathead there though, so i think u shld check it out.

when u're in harajuka, i suggest u check out the loopwheeler store. it's kind of out of the way and hidden, so make sure u map it before u go. otherwise u'll never find it.

not sure if it was mentionned, there's also a sda shop in harajuku, not far away from smart clothing store (or burton on the sufu map) here the adress

b1 harajuku kawana bldg, 6-13-1 jungumae, shibuya, tokyo

tel: 03-5774-6479

sda store is in a basement outside a 3 storey bldg.

and 2 minute walk away is smart clothing store

• 3 weeks later...

American Casual Store Three Eight in Sakura, Setagaya-ku

IMG_0759.jpg

(beware of the sliding entrance door)

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

a bunch of mccoy flight jackets and boots

IMG_0761.jpg

and a bunch of buco riders jackets, t-shirts, bowling shirts, etc.

IMG_0762.jpg

variety of great made in japan wrangler repro jackets

IMG_0763.jpg

buco helmets

IMG_0766.jpg

with my new mccoy x lee 101z and other goodies. (excuse my denim shorts, was riding my sister's bike in muggy tokyo)

^ haven't been running around the stores much, but so far, i've picked up some buco shirts. i'm a sucker for vintage-style typography. the store is actually pretty small for US standard. the second pic pretty much shows the entire space.

danner mountain lights in that last pic, do you know how much they were?? I love those boots so much.

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/threeeight/bootsa1caa.html

shin-tamagawa sen and stuff. like four stops from shibuya but getting closer to futako tamagawa. i think the closest stops are yoga and sakura shinmachi.

setagaya-ku is the largest of the 23 wards (ku) in tokyo, and it's in the southern part of tokyo. (whereas places like ueno are more up north)

but three eight isn't too close to any of the train stations, might be faster on a bus.

Thanks man. I'm probably just crazy enough to walk there. I find myself walking everywhere when I'm in Tokyo. I like to run into shops along the way. It's good to get lost too. Forces me to talk to people.

i agree about walking around in tokyo, as long as you have a good map, much cooler than taking the trains everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recently took a business trip/holiday back to Tokyo and went to the Flathead store in Jiyugaoka, a quaint neighborhood with small boutiques and old-fashioned patisseries.

DSC01565.jpg

The store is on the second floor of a small building located behind a very large Gap and fairly close to the rail station.

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01559.jpg

I couldn't take any pictures inside. I was looking for Stockburg wallets, which must be special ordered and usually take around 4-5 months for delivery. They did have a few samples in the store, both new and finely aged. The cordovan wallets are a bit pricey but the sample which had been used for six years looked amazing.

Afterwards, on the way back to the rail station, we stopped by a famous French pastry shop called Dalloyau for a late afternoon dessert. Apparently Dalloyau has been around since the 16th century and opened their first shop in Tokyo in the early 1980s.

DSC01568.jpg

Pistachio macaron with all the fixins'.

DSC01567.jpg

My wife got the strawberry tart.

DSC01569.jpg

I ended up not buying anything at the Flathead store in Jiyugaoka. The wait time for ordering the Stockburg wallet from Nagano just seemed a bit discouraging. Or perhaps deserved only for the truly committed. But, I think I'm going to have to head to Nagano at some point to go to their actual store and workshop.

But the rest of the trip outside of work was filled with trips to various burger joints (delicious) and other denim spots. I picked up some Momotaro denim in Ueno, which were much harder to find than I had originally thought. Bears in Shimokitazawa, Americaya and OT Emotional in Harajuku didn't have them. At the end, I found them at Hinoya on the corner. Cheers :)

• 2 years later...

That's hilarious. I felt the same way when I actually found the shop I was looking for. Anyone been to the Flat Head store? Any pictures or details? I ran out of time and didn't get a chance to find it.

Before going to Tokyo, I actually created a PowerPoint slide deck that compiled all the SuFu maps, 45rpm locations, key discussion bullets from this thread, and other notes.

Basically, I didn't want to be just wandering around aimlessly, since I had limited time in the city and had key places I wanted to hit. It helped me tremendously. Let me know and I'll be happy to provide a copy. I almost felt like I was on a scavenger hunt for denim!

That's hilarious. I felt the same way when I actually found the shop I was looking for. Anyone been to the Flat Head store? Any pictures or details? I ran out of time and didn't get a chance to find it.

Before going to Tokyo, I actually created a PowerPoint slide deck that compiled all the SuFu maps, 45rpm locations, key discussion bullets from this thread, and other notes.

Basically, I didn't want to be just wandering around aimlessly, since I had limited time in the city and had key places I wanted to hit. It helped me tremendously. Let me know and I'll be happy to provide a copy. I almost felt like I was on a scavenger hunt for denim!

hi analyst, pmed you about the Powerpoint slide deck ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

^

Can you mark the location for the Kapital store that you did not visit?

Will be going to Tokyo real soon and Kapital will be one of my target store to visit, been trying to match the map on their site to the super guide without much success.

^

Can you mark the location for the Kapital store that you did not visit?

Will be going to Tokyo real soon and Kapital will be one of my target store to visit, been trying to match the map on their site to the super guide without much success.

The main Kapital store is marked on the map.

paul, great post on loomstate! I've always wondered if the sizes sold in japanese stores, especially the smaller brands/shops, are large enough to make a trip worthwhile for a westerner 6'-1", 180 lbs? Especially shirts. thanks

Lance, I'm sorry, I can't tell you for definite - but there does seem to be a good supply of 34 inch waist jeans which would mean they cater for Western visitors. One way to check might be to look at the Rakuten page for Hinoya - that lists the sizes they have in stock.