Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

What do you mean by "by default"?

I love Platinum Egoiste. Have you tried Pour Monsieur? Its a bit "old fashioned" smelling, but if you use it in small doses (ie - one spray), its quite nice.

BTW - I was reading an article recently about smells that "turn people on". It was mostly about men (cinammon rolls), but a tip for you boys...girls like the smell of flowers. I'm not saying you should buy a bottle of Chanel No. 5, but next time you're picking out a cologne, just remember that. ;)

BTW - I was reading an article recently about smells that "turn people on". It was mostly about men (cinammon rolls), but a tip for you boys...girls like the smell of flowers. I'm not saying you should buy a bottle of Chanel No. 5, but next time you're picking out a cologne, just remember that. ;)

Agree, I don't know why that is though. I thought a woman would want a man to smell, well, like a man. One of my friends wears chanel chance when he goes to the club, the ladies love it. i think it might be a comfort thing.

hey gimme you own this thread

got any fall/winter recomendations?

I own nothing...I merely squat here. ;)

Fall/winter recommendations (for boys...do any girls read this?):

1. Yohji Homme (if you can find it)

2. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

3. L'Eau D'Hiver (why not...smells like honey) by F. Malle

4. Gucci Envy

5. M7 - YSL

And no...I'm not going to suggest anything Armani, JPG, or Thierry Mugler...ever.

What do you mean by "by default"?

I love Platinum Egoiste. Have you tried Pour Monsieur? Its a bit "old fashioned" smelling, but if you use it in small doses (ie - one spray), its quite nice.

by "by default" i mean since it's the last fragrance i tried on my skin and it smelt pretty good its probably gonna be my next purchase

yes platinum egoiste is pretty good, and i didnt try "pour monsieur", i'll check it next time i go to sephora;)

unisex colognes usually get a huge reaction out of women.

You cant really expect a girl to have the same taste as a guy.

funny you say that, because its actually bullshit. had this new york times "perfume critic" come to my school and talk about asthetics, metaphors, (think about it this guy reviews smells for a living) and the purfume, and publishing business. (www.chandlerburr.com thats him) and he basically shot what you just said completely down.

anyways, guys a fucking genius, a little neurotic, and a little metro, but we loved him - and basically he said sex marketing (sex as in the gender) has absolutely nothing to do with what the actual fragrence smells like. nothing at all. its used purely for marketing. how many times have you smelled a womans perfume and wished it was marketed for men so you could get it. if none of you have then that means im gay, but still, im sure you all have.

if it smells good, i'll wear it - and one of the premier conneseuirs of fragrance only confirmed my suspisions and now i happily wear womans perfume all the time

funny you say that, because its actually bullshit. had this new york times "perfume critic" come to my school and talk about asthetics, metaphors, (think about it this guy reviews smells for a living) and the purfume, and publishing business. (www.chandlerburr.com thats him) and he basically shot what you just said completely down.

anyways, guys a fucking genius, a little neurotic, and a little metro, but we loved him - and basically he said sex marketing (sex as in the gender) has absolutely nothing to do with what the actual fragrence smells like. nothing at all. its used purely for marketing. how many times have you smelled a womans perfume and wished it was marketed for men so you could get it. if none of you have then that means im gay, but still, im sure you all have.

if it smells good, i'll wear it - and one of the premier conneseuirs of fragrance only confirmed my suspisions and now i happily wear womans perfume all the time

First off...be polite. Just because Chandler Burr said something, doesn't mean everything else is "bullshit".

Second, yes, Burr is a very funny and charming guy, who unfortunately right now is getting a bad reputation due to taking underhands (in the form of free perfume) for giving good reviews to certain companies (all allegations...nothing proven).

Third, I agree that its a hard thing to prove if a certain sex is drawn more towards any certain scent...we're just making generalizations. Luca Turin once shot someone down for saying "perfume is all about sex"..saying "if you lost your sense of smell...would you give up sex?". Its all subjective...but generally speaking, many women buy floral perfumes because they like the smell of flowers, and the same goes for men with more "masculine" scents. My theory is that if you switch to what the other sex is wearing, as you're doing, maybe you'll get more attention from the other sex.

I'd say my all time favourite scent is Mitsouko, which is women's...and I wear it all the time. ;)

I own nothing...I merely squat here. ;)

Fall/winter recommendations (for boys...do any girls read this?):

1. Yohji Homme (if you can find it)

2. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

3. L'Eau D'Hiver (why not...smells like honey) by F. Malle

4. Gucci Envy

5. M7 - YSL

And no...I'm not going to suggest anything Armani, JPG, or Thierry Mugler...ever.

Squatters rights then ahah

+ rep if i could, remind me tommorow

Although Silver Mountain Water by Creed sounds like a Creed song and therefore i'm imediatly turned off it ahah ..

Although Silver Mountain Water by Creed sounds like a Creed song and therefore i'm imediatly turned off it ahah ..

FYI, Creed, the fragrance house, has been around infinitely longer than Creed, the band. The fragrance house is responsible for crafting many of the scents worn by European nobility, (i.e., Royal English Leather which was originally formulated in 1780). Don't let a shitty band that broke up deter you from a great line of scents.

First off...be polite. Just because Chandler Burr said something, doesn't mean everything else is "bullshit".

Second, yes, Burr is a very funny and charming guy, who unfortunately right now is getting a bad reputation due to taking underhands (in the form of free perfume) for giving good reviews to certain companies (all allegations...nothing proven).

Third, I agree that its a hard thing to prove if a certain sex is drawn more towards any certain scent...we're just making generalizations. Luca Turin once shot someone down for saying "perfume is all about sex"..saying "if you lost your sense of smell...would you give up sex?". Its all subjective...but generally speaking, many women buy floral perfumes because they like the smell of flowers, and the same goes for men with more "masculine" scents. My theory is that if you switch to what the other sex is wearing, as you're doing, maybe you'll get more attention from the other sex.

I'd say my all time favourite scent is Mitsouko, which is women's...and I wear it all the time. ;)

yes yes, it was early and i was grumpy, apologies for the rudeness bigsink

Ha...what that other guy said about Creed.

Seriously though...Creed is good shit (sometimes). Silver Mountain Water smells like black currant and stuff like that...its nice. Expensive though (don't buy it from a department store, and DON'T buy it on eBay...its all fake). If anyone is interested in Creed, let me know. ;)

FYI, Creed, the fragrance house, has been around infinitely longer than Creed, the band. The fragrance house is responsible for crafting many of the scents worn by European nobility, (i.e., Royal English Leather which was originally formulated in 1780). Don't let a shitty band that broke up deter you from a great line of scents.

Seriously though...Creed is good shit (sometimes). Silver Mountain Water smells like black currant and stuff like that...its nice. Expensive though (don't buy it from a department store, and DON'T buy it on eBay...its all fake). If anyone is interested in Creed, let me know. ;)

Haha no no I'm sure it's great I think I may have bought Royal English Leather at one point .. It's just bad connotations stemming from ignorance ahah ..

How expensive? Ahah ..

Haha no no I'm sure it's great I think I may have bought Royal English Leather at one point .. It's just bad connotations stemming from ignorance ahah ..

How expensive? Ahah ..

Depends on the scent and where you buy it, but usually around $150 for 4 oz and $100 for the 2 oz if you are in a boutique. They also sell flacons of the stuff in 8 oz bottles if you bathe in it.

You can find it cheaper online at stores like scentiments.com. I'd be wary of eBayers unless they have flawless rep.

Green Irish Tweed and Silver Mountain Water, as the two most popular scents, are considerably cheaper than ones like Erolfa, Millesime Imperial, Himalay and Bois du Portugal, which are much more niche.

Acca Cappa make decent stuff...all "colonias" smell pretty much the same...lemony and short-lived.

link for SMW from NM - http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod34150107&parentId=cat10470747&masterId=cat10470744&index=35&cmCat=cat000000cat000285cat10420741cat10470744cat10470747

(a bit more than quoted prices above btw)

and from perfumebay.com:

http://www.perfumebay.com/silvermtn40m.html

so i went through sephora today, and i tried Pour Monsieur and i didn't really like it. Also tried V&R "Antidote" but i didnt really like it too. I was quite surprised by the Prada one, it smells actually pretty good and it got me started thinkin about it for my next fragrance purchase (but the recipient doesnt look very good)...even if the dior homme one is still my fav.

i saw some jil sander too, but it wasnt on the shelves...so how is that one?

so i went through sephora today, and i tried Pour Monsieur and i didn't really like it. Also tried V&R "Antidote" but i didnt really like it too. I was quite surprised by the Prada one, it smells actually pretty good and it got me started thinkin about it for my next fragrance purchase (but the recipient doesnt look very good)...even if the dior homme one is still my fav.

i saw some jil sander too, but it wasnt on the shelves...so how is that one?

Pour Monsieur is a bit old fashion...which I guess is bad if you're not into that sort of thing (allegedely the formula hasn't been altered since it was created in the 50's).

The Jil Sander in the slanted box/bottle? I think its pretty nice...but others have quashed it as being too popular. I would go with the DH if you like it...its very unique.

yeah i cant explain it very well with my english but it seemed to me that Pour Monsieur was kinda hard, raw.

too bad i didnt see that M-7 was in your top 5 list, i'd have try it, narciso rodriguez for him too

If you're in France, you have access to some of the best stuff in the world...do you ever make it to Paris?

If you're in France, you have access to some of the best stuff in the world...do you ever make it to Paris?

yeah i'm in France, i live next to Grasse, a city known for his fragrance industry, i went to Paris but i was young, never been there since

yeah i'm in France, i live next to Grasse, a city known for his fragrance industry, i went to Paris but i was young, never been there since

Interesting...I think would have to go there every weekend. ;)

Look for a company called Divine. I'm pretty sure they're based in Grasse (one of the few remaining) (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and they're very nice. Come in beautiful aluminum/metal bottles.

i knoiw about ebay. but why wouldnt you buy it from department store>/?