Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

They should clean their noses first. I had the same reaction to TF as gimme.

Its sad that Tom Ford now has his name on the stuff he's producing, and he's not coming out with anything interesting. Granted, I haven't personally smelled his "private collection" yet, but I've been dissapointed with both the men's and women's scents.

I went to his store in NY and it's beautiful. He really took it to the next level. I didn't smell any fragrances but some rtw items and shoes were very nice.

The fragrances had a lot of press at first...but I haven't heard much of them lately. I don't think they made it onto anyone's top 10 list or anything. I'll hopefully be there next month to give them a shot.

The most news that Tom Ford's fragrance is receiving concerns the racy ads, not the quality of the perfume. I can't recall even seeing one endorsement of the scent, just news clips about how some people find the ads offensive.

Precisely right. There were 800 fragrances releases this year...most of which won't be around next year. A flashy ad campaign will get you lots of attention initially, but a quality scent will keep your product on the shelves. If I was to hire Terry Richardson to take the photos for my ad, I would want to be damn sure that the scent its promoting deserved such an expensive advert.

Another generic new release. Starts off promising with some unusual green, root-y notes, then blends into every other "fresh & clean" smelling men's scent on the market.

Not for me, but give it a shot if you're looking to replace an old Kenzo, or the like.

I liked L'eau par Kenzo Pour Homme when I used it a year ago and ran out, was going to rebuy but wanted to try something new. I haven't heard of this one yet. Seems like they're trying to target a youth market with it.

Can you recommend me something? I use Dior Homme a lot, but I think it's a little too strong for daywear sometimes. So I'm looking for something fresh, not necessarily watery or aquatic.

Do you know if Terre d'Hermes is worth the hype?

Terre D'Hermes is definitely nice....but if you find DH too strong, you might find this one too strong too. Give L'Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes a shot too...if very nice, and very light for the office. Eau Sauvage by Dior is also a good choice.

yea i had L'Eau D'Orange Verte for a while, was very happy with it

Terre D'Hermes is definitely nice....but if you find DH too strong, you might find this one too strong too. Give L'Eau D'Orange Verte by Hermes a shot too...if very nice, and very light for the office. Eau Sauvage by Dior is also a good choice.

gimme,

is the l'eau d'orange verte unisex? i know there is a women's but was wondering if it is the same scent. i really like it.

other than holts and nomad (for lowest common denominator cdg stuff) where else is the place to go for fragrance shopping?

or does toronto suck so much that any rarer purchases need to be relagated to online shop?

gimme,

is the l'eau d'orange verte unisex? i know there is a women's but was wondering if it is the same scent. i really like it.

other than holts and nomad (for lowest common denominator cdg stuff) where else is the place to go for fragrance shopping?

or does toronto suck so much that any rarer purchases need to be relagated to online shop?

Its the same stuff...I think originally it was designated as a men's scent, but they later realized it appealed to women equally. Now, for some reason, they only seem to display it in the women's section at Sephora. :confused:

Toronto's not bad for fragrance shopping...you just need to travel a lot! TNT also carries some of the CDG stuff, Sephora & the Bay carry Serge Lutens, Andrew's in Yorkville carried Bond No. 9, Mirella in the Manulife Centre carries Caron, Creed, etc., PIR carried L'Artisan Parfumeur. AND we have a Guerlain store that gets the "sepcial" stuff that other cities don't.

Did you have something particular you were looking for?

seems house of guerlain scents is like the perfume version of balenciaga bags..there are so many variations and its so prolific, it really takes devotion to follow. sort of an all or nothing game. for a newbe like me, its pretty intimidating to even walk into that place.

i love my cdg2 but was curious to try

10 corso como

absolument absinthe

and i wanna see what the fuss is about with luctor et emergo

would love any other suggestions :)

seems house of guerlain scents is like the perfume version of balenciaga bags..there are so many variations and its so prolific, it really takes devotion to follow. sort of an all or nothing game. for a newbe like me, its pretty intimidating to even walk into that place.

i love my cdg2 but was curious to try

10 corso como

absolument absinthe

and i wanna see what the fuss is about with luctor et emergo

would love any other suggestions :)

Alright...you definitely like the hard-to-find stuff! Ya, Toronto won't be the place to find any of those. I should have known that already though by your fashion tastes!

Your best bet to try any of those is to order samples from www.luckyscent.com. You can also order samples from http://www.ausliebezumduft.de in Germany (I've order from the before).

For more suggestions that you can't get in Toronto, try Etat Libre D'Orange...unusual stuff. And if you want help figure out Guerlain, I can help you. ;) All Guerlain strengths (EdT, EdP, etc.) are different in composition, which can make it confusing....but they're definitely worth exploring.

i picked up 'neroli' from le labo @ collette in paris over the summer, ive been wearing it ever since. its got this sandalwood/flower/overripe sweet smell that i really love. i sort of remember the first helmut lang scent having the same 'feeling', but more on the amber notes...

i was previously wearing keihls musk for the last 2-3 years...

anyone else have any thoughts/experience about the other le labo stuff? curious to check out the store when im in nyc next month...

i picked up 'neroli' from le labo @ collette in paris over the summer, ive been wearing it ever since. its got this sandalwood/flower/overripe sweet smell that i really love. i sort of remember the first helmut lang scent having the same 'feeling', but more on the amber notes...

i was previously wearing keihls musk for the last 2-3 years...

anyone else have any thoughts/experience about the other le labo stuff? curious to check out the store when im in nyc next month...

They make great stuff...Rose31 is very popular with the boys on basenotes.

You can buy directly from their website...and I think they have a sample program too. They wait until you actually purchase a product to bottle it, and they put your name & an expiry date on the label.

i'll have a look on basenotes. i dont remember smelling the rose 31. if i remember correctly, the numbers denote the amount of ingredients in the scents?

thats exactly what they did @ collette. i told them what i wanted, then looked at books etc., while they prepared my order.i remember looking on the website after i got back. i think the 'vetiver' they make is nice as well...

i'll have a look on basenotes. i dont remember smelling the rose 31. if i remember correctly, the numbers denote the amount of ingredients in the scents?

thats exactly what they did @ collette. i told them what i wanted, then looked at books etc., while they prepared my order.i remember looking on the website after i got back. i think the 'vetiver' they make is nice as well...

yes, the no. represents the number of ingredients. I was a bit dissapointed with Rose31 because I'm a big fan of men's rose scents, and this one was a bit too abstract for me, but I can see the appeal for others.

its pretty pricey stuff though.

+++ Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans.

yes, the no. represents the number of ingredients. I was a bit dissapointed with Rose31 because I'm a big fan of men's rose scents, and this one was a bit too abstract for me, but I can see the appeal for others.

its pretty pricey stuff though.

im curious about it and yes, their fragrances are a bit expensive. but i like their way of preparation and (seeming) care about the creation of it...

maybe you covered this, but what do you think about musc ravageur? definitely want another musk for this fall/winter but dont know the direction to go...

..this "+++ Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans." scent looks to be getting a lot of attention on here...:rolleyes:

Musc Ravageur is a very well composed scent, but its definitely a love it or hate it situation...the best thing to do is call one of their shops in Paris (or email them) and ask for a sample if you don't have the option of smelling it in person.

While you're there...give Noir Epices a shot...its very potent, but very unique.

Musc Ravageur is a very well composed scent, but its definitely a love it or hate it situation...the best thing to do is call one of their shops in Paris (or email them) and ask for a sample if you don't have the option of smelling it in person.

While you're there...give Noir Epices a shot...its very potent, but very unique.

+++ Supreme. 19CM-MIJ. Vans.????