Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

yeah, i agree more and more with the penhaligon's sentiments.

elixir was a lot different though, it much more modern. definitely worth the test, i'd say...but i guess once i get a sample we'll see if it stays that way.

i wore my sample of eau d'italie's baume de doge today. very suiting name, pretty pleasing fragrance.

if i'm not careful i'm going to get carried away with this and end up blowing way too much money.

I've since changed my mind about Blenheim Bouquet upon actually wearing it on the skin. Comes out much too much like old man musk on the skin - not so on the blotter paper, mainly the lemons, etc. even after the drydown.

On the plus side, I wore Dzongkha today and that's fabulous.

Hey! I wore Dzongkha today! I got a sample last week. I have to say I was pretty disappointed. The opening is amazing and has the most literal leather smell, I've never smelled such an accurate leather scent, but then it just dries down and the leather is basically gone and all that's left is a florally and powdery smell. At least that's what my nose/skin got, we'll see how Timbuktu fairs and the some other L'Artisan's I've got coming my way this week.

yeah, i agree more and more with the penhaligon's sentiments.

elixir was a lot different though, it much more modern. definitely worth the test, i'd say...but i guess once i get a sample we'll see if it stays that way.

i wore my sample of eau d'italie's baume de doge today. very suiting name, pretty pleasing fragrance.

if i'm not careful i'm going to get carried away with this and end up blowing way too much money.

I haven't tried Baume de Doge yet...such a strange name. I REALLY wish eau d'italie would change their packaging. The bottle itself is nice, but the labels/fonts don't appeal to me. Oh well.

Hey! I wore Dzongkha today! I got a sample last week. I have to say I was pretty disappointed. The opening is amazing and has the most literal leather smell, I've never smelled such an accurate leather scent, but then it just dries down and the leather is basically gone and all that's left is a florally and powdery smell. At least that's what my nose/skin got, we'll see how Timbuktu fairs and the some other L'Artisan's I've got coming my way this week.

Timbuktu is very similar to Dzonkha (to my nose). They're pretty much love or hate though.

Just got S-ex, from reading the reviews here.

All I can say is, it is impressive. It has a very feminine scent but somehow also masculine, if you know what I mean.

The very very first note I smelled after I sprayed it on is 'poop', or others call it cardboard smell. But after that, fruity, aquatic, sweet and synthetic smell keeps going on and on.

The staying power is too long!!

A must try!!

Dsquared He Wood (seriously...I know, lame, but the scent itself is actually pretty good).

Yeah, I scoffed at it originally and refused to try it, but today I said what the hell and took a whiff and it wasn't bad.

Montreal has been good for fragrances.

At Holt Renfrew, I smelled Bond No. 9's Andy Warhol Silver Factory which was pretty good. I discovered a line I had never heard of before (Etat Libre D'Orange) with some interesting fragrance names like 'Putain des Palaces' and 'Secretions Magnifiques'...I don't know what to think of them yet.

Then at the Hermes boutique, I sprayed on Un Jardin Apres La Mousson and instantly fell in love and bought a 50ml. I think this is the first JCE scent with cumin in it that I like. To me, it's like the spring counterpart to L'eau d'Hiver, but better. Most of the perfume blogs seem to hate it though...

I also smelled some from the Hermessence line, but having no prior knowledge about them it was just a random pick (Poivre Samarcande). I hated the cumin note in this one.

Finally, at Olgivy (which strangely has shit brand for clothes, but awesome fragrances) I spoke to the guy at the L'Artisan stand and just chatted a while about stuff. He showed me Fleur de Liane, Premier Figuier, and Mure et Musc, but I've smelled those before at Barneys.

After that I took quick whiffs of Hermes Bel Ami, a few from Serge Lutens, and called it a day.

Looking for a a few new perfumes to get samples of for my girl to try . She isn't into anything too floral or classic. She does really like narcisco rodriguez for her and creed silver mountain water( as well as himalaya). Any suggestions?

SJP Lovely smells a lot like Narciso Rodriguez, but better. SMW smells like licking a battery, so I have no suggestions for anything similar to that...

i got a sample of nasomatto "absinthe" and i really like it... smells really warm

bwaaaaaa

this has nothing to do with any of the above posts

I haven't tried any of these yet, but I hear they're STROOOOOONG.

So I went back to Hermes today to get the discovery set of the Hermessence line (4 x 15ml bottles). I asked the SA if I could get a few samples, and he offered 1 of each + an extra (8 x 4ml). Considering this line sells for $225 / 100ml, that was awesome!

The people at Hermes are usually very generous. I quite like Poivre Samarcande, but it's similar to Cartier Declaration, Terre d'Hermes and Bigarate Concentree, which are all cheaper. Ambre Narguile is great, but extremely strong. My fav is probably Paprika Brasil, which doesn't get any good press, but is a great iris scent. If you like Osmanthe Yunnan, Eau de Cartier is very similar and much (much) cheaper.

I love Ogilvy, they have great stuff. L'Artisan has a ton of good stuff, but it takes some time to work through them all. Some of them need more attention to appreciate than you can give them in the store.

Etat Libre also make some great scents, but are "difficult" at best. Rien is probably my favourite.

got a sample of #2 of six scents

i really liked it as soon as i put it on, but after the dry down it was a little boring. smelled a little floral and a little musky, with none of the ozone and citrus that's there in the beginning (the four together are pretty dope).

tried cdg rhubarb and play and didn't like either of them.

tried l'artisan timbuktu and didn't like it.

i'm stuck. i have a bottle of 2man that's almost done, but i don't want anything that heavy now. suggestions?

wuts the difference between cdg and cdg 2?

would u say they are unisex like ck one? omg i love ck one, been wearing it the past decade!!

they're quite different. the original is very potent & spicy. 2 is more floral, and I guess the more feminine of the two (there is also 2 Man, which is smoky/incensy and quite nice).

I really like ck one too! I don't wear it anymore, but I did in the past....great musk.

got a sample of #2 of six scents

i really liked it as soon as i put it on, but after the dry down it was a little boring. smelled a little floral and a little musky, with none of the ozone and citrus that's there in the beginning (the four together are pretty dope).

tried cdg rhubarb and play and didn't like either of them.

tried l'artisan timbuktu and didn't like it.

i'm stuck. i have a bottle of 2man that's almost done, but i don't want anything that heavy now. suggestions?

hmm...you're picky. :D

I know I always recommend it, but S-ex by S-Perfume is really great. Light, but really strong at the same time (somehow), aquatic, musky, leathery, fruity...all kindsa weird.

too bad about rhubarb, I really like that one. Other random suggestions:

-L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

-Outrageous by Frederic Malle

-Bois Farine by L'Artisan

-Neroli by Le Labo

-Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens

has anyone tried black jeans by versace? its discontinued but my friend is giving away his collection on fragrances

pass

I tried 888 by CDG the other day and was really impressed. I liked it a lot and got a bottle for my girl

... no idea if it's been mentioned before in this thread

actually, i also tried a lot of the other CDG stuff like the odeurs, guerilla, white, and play and what not. didn't like odeur 53 or guerilla, and I'd have to try play again probably.

I just sniffed some of the Tom Ford Private Blends. They are most excellent. My favorites are Tobacco Vanille, Amber Absolute, Oud Wood, and Neroli Portofino. Japan Noir and Tuscan Leather are just...weird.

Tobacco Vanille smells a lot like L'Artisan's Tea for Two, which is one of my favorite scents, but we'll see how long it lasts. Tea for Two doesn't last very long on me.

Anyone have any experience with the Gareth Pugh perfume? It says unisex but I was wondering how feminine it is?

I've tried it. Do not underestimate the dill note, it is quite pronounced. However, once it reaches the dry-down stage, it becomes much more pleasant IMO. To answer your other question, I would say it is unisex, but veering more towards the masculine side.