Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Gimme, or anyone else for that matter, can you recommend a fragrance that has a gasoline scent?

I've tried CdG's Tar and Garage, but I feel like those are kind of weird. I don't get the straight "city traffic in the summer" vibe from them.

Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia is reputed to have a gasoline scent about it; I haven't tried it myself but I have read this repeatedly.

Some people say Christian Dior Fahrenheit has a gasoline scent; others disagree. I haven't tried this one either.

These seem to be the two that are most often mentioned as having this accord. Gimmegimme will no doubt have more suggestions. ;)

What's some of their best scents that they offer (regardless of season)? Thanks.

I'll repeat my recs for Under the Arbor and Gathering Apples in case you didn't catch them skimming my post a few pages back. Both great scents. Underdiscussed so far here but they've really gotta be tried.

Edit. On a different note, I ordered some Etat Libre D'Orange samples from the perfumed court (2 of them came broken unfortunately) but I'm wearing Antiheros today and it's not half bad. It's a primarily woody smell in a spicy but subtle way. I don't get much of the lavender supposedly in it unless I'm actively smelling for that sweetness but I like it. Nice and simple.

Edit 2. After wearing it for about two and a half hours, it seems the lavender is finally moving forward. A bit of musk too. Funny how that works. The spicy woodiness is melting away.

That's great. I'll have to give those a try.

Nostalgia was the first thing that came to mind for me too...definitely something worth trying. I'd also give Tea by CDG a try...I find it disguisting, but it has a gas/petroleum like smell in it.

Other to try - Knize 10 (lots of leather scents seem to have a gasoline-like smell in them), in the same vein - Cuir de Russie by Creed.

Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens is mostly a floral, but opens with a harsh camphor-note reminiscent of gasoline.

And maybe Bvlgari Black?

I'll repeat my recs for Under the Arbor and Gathering Apples in case you didn't catch them skimming my post a few pages back. Both great scents. Underdiscussed so far here but they've really gotta be tried.

Edit. On a different note, I ordered some Etat Libre D'Orange samples from the perfumed court (2 of them came broken unfortunately) but I'm wearing Antiheros today and it's not half bad. It's a primarily woody smell in a spicy but subtle way. I don't get much of the lavender supposedly in it unless I'm actively smelling for that sweetness but I like it. Nice and simple.

Edit 2. After wearing it for about two and a half hours, it seems the lavender is finally moving forward. A bit of musk too. Funny how that works. The spicy woodiness is melting away.

What other Etat's did you order? I'm not a lavender person, so Antiheros was lost on me...I only got lavender.

What other Etat's did you order? I'm not a lavender person, so Antiheros was lost on me...I only got lavender.

The others I ordered were Divin' Enfant, Elonge du Traitre, Jasmin et Cigarette, Rien, and Secretions Magnifique. And I just noticed I misspoke, THREE of them actually broke in transport. So after this I only have Rien and Secretions Magnifique left to try until they replace the others. I had included Secretions for the novelty factor but it smells surprisingly good in the bottle.

The others I ordered were Divin' Enfant, Elonge du Traitre, Jasmin et Cigarette, Rien, and Secretions Magnifique. And I just noticed I misspoke, THREE of them actually broke in transport. So after this I only have Rien and Secretions Magnifique left to try until they replace the others. I had included Secretions for the novelty factor but it smells surprisingly good in the bottle.

Would like to hear your full thoughts on Secretions...I've been dying to try it.

ps - send them an email about the leaking...that's unacceptable.

Would like to hear your full thoughts on Secretions...I've been dying to try it.

In a word: overwhelming. It was a bit of a shock at first. The smell hits you hard. As I live with it for a while today, I'm still having a really hard time figuring out how to describe it. It's a rich, dark smell. Faintly floral but all man, all power. And sharply metallic in a really exciting way. It's not a casual scent. But I don't know if it's a very "formal" scent either if that's the dichotomy. And I don't want to play into their hype but it IS seriously sexual.

I wish I could pin it down in concrete descriptive terms but I'm in over my head.

^ that's a great review. I don't think it is possible to accurately write about fragrance in concrete descriptive terms (beyond "smells like roses" (or tar, or grass, etc.)) because it is subjective and often meant to be at least partly subliminal.

You made me want to try it so that says something right there.

...nested parentheses... hmmm.

gimmegimme, if/whenever you try cdg lemon - lime - grapefruit, let us know what you think

The grapefruit sounds intruiging...but i have a feeling they're all going to smell like nothing more than their names, but that's just a prediction. CDG's scents are going in a strange direction.

I just tried my sample of Divine L'Homme de Coeur and I think I'm really going to love this.

If you do order it (I'm repeating myself), only one of the bottles is a spray...all the others are splashes. I think most of the stores in the US only sell the spray (100ml metal flask), but if you order directly from them like I did, you have several options, which aren't totally clear on the website.

Just a heads up...I would have ordered the spray if I had known. :(

In a word: overwhelming. It was a bit of a shock at first. The smell hits you hard. As I live with it for a while today, I'm still having a really hard time figuring out how to describe it. It's a rich, dark smell. Faintly floral but all man, all power. And sharply metallic in a really exciting way. It's not a casual scent. But I don't know if it's a very "formal" scent either if that's the dichotomy. And I don't want to play into their hype but it IS seriously sexual.

I wish I could pin it down in concrete descriptive terms but I'm in over my head.

I agree with Tangerine, that's a pretty darn good description. Its very difficult to describe a smell, but you gave us (me at least) a pretty good idea. Even though I know I probably won't like it, I still really want to smell it now!

The fashion world is constantly plagued by plagiarism, and the perfume world is no different. Some say "influenced", other say "copy".

Case in point - Mugler's Angel Men Pure Coffee, which I quite liked when I smelled it (still do), smells remarkably similar to Bond's New Haarlem. Both are very nice, and I'd take a bottle of either, but Bond is $185/100ml, and Mugler is $65/100ml. For argument's sake, the Bond came first.

Another example - Bvlgari's Eau Parfumee au The Verte, and L'Artisan's The Pour Un Ete. I doubt I could tell them apart if I didn't know which was which. L'Artisan - $95/50ml, Blvgari - $30 or less/75ml. In this case, Bvlgari came first.

To continue my series of Etat reviews, I'm wearing my sample of Rien today. At first I didn't care for it much at all. Smelled too much of patchouli which I'm not so into. But it eventually turned out into something a lot sweeter. Reminds me of a perfume I used to really like on my mom when I was little. But still not very exciting.

To continue my series of Etat reviews, I'm wearing my sample of Rien today. At first I didn't care for it much at all. Smelled too much of patchouli which I'm not so into. But it eventually turned out into something a lot sweeter. Reminds me of a perfume I used to really like on my mom when I was little. But still not very exciting.

For something called "Nothing", it sure is potent.

cool, thanks for the info gimmegimme, prices are pretty good too....

anyone try the cdg monocle one yet? ...its expensive..

i bought a bottle and it is quite expensive. i think it was £55 for 50ml although i havent worn it myself as i gave it to my dad to try out.

it smells to me exactly like the sap/smell you get from a fir/cedar tree. lemony wood.

the dry down smell is less potent but nice.. relaxing. it is similar in a way to kyoto but with more going on.

I can't remember if I had mentioned this book before...but I guess I'll repeat myself if I did.

Luca Turin is a scientist (of some sort) and a perfume critic. He has written books on his theory of how we smell, and in the early 90's published a book (in french) of perfume reviews that, up until now, was considered a bible of sorts to the perfume world.

New this week is his new book, with some 1500 or so reviews. Keeping in mind its quite a subjective subject, its on all accounts a good read and a good place to start.

Link to sample reviews: http://www.perfumestheguide.com/

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Perfumes-Guide-Luca-Turin/dp/0670018651/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208267003&sr=8-1

Link to his old guide: http://www.flexitral.com/research/Guide%201994.pdf

Link to his old blog (good reads): http://www.flexitral.com/research/Blogtextweb.pdf

Link to his monthly article: http://www.nzzfolio.ch/www/b019178d-f646-4d0d-a657-023857c7b978/showpages/Suche%20Ergebnis.aspx?q=&v=True&f=1991&t=2008&a=Turin|Luca&st=all&bt=%20alle%20Hefttitel&ct=true&sr=all&ru=all&cc=true&rl=False≥=False&en=True&ot=False&al=False

Interesting that for all the trashing I do, I think I spend more time in this thread than elsewhere...but it's still a daunting read...

My current go to CDG2 Man is starting to feel a little warm for the weather we're having...

A quick glance through and Homme de Couer is sounding like a really great bet for a nice spring/summer scent...

As much as I'm in love with CDG 88, it doesn't seem like the right time to invest in that...

Any other thoughts from resident afficianados?

CDG's Colgone Series is pretty good and fairly inexpensive (around $60-70 I think for a 125ml bottle at TNT). All 3 are nice.

TNT will probalby have Calamus too, which is good for spring/summer.

If you want to drop a bit more cash, Holt Renfew has an Armani Prive called Vetiver Babylon...I think its around $130, but you get a pretty bottle.

For yet more money ($100-150), head to Noor in the bottom of the Four Seasons in Yorkville and check out some L'Artisan Parfumeur (to be specific, Timbuktu and Navegar). They only carry the 100ml bottles in the store, but they can get the 50ml bottles from the Montreal store in a few days.