skins

junglejane

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minus the stupid reality show thread of the last episode, I've enjoyed the last two episodes of this series more than the others. They just had more of the same vibe as the series 1 episodes, which I thought this series was lacking in the first few episodes, and series 2 lacked throughout.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished season 2 with my homies.

Fuckin unsatisfactory finish (especially the Cassie storyline).

About to start the downloads of season 3 eps.

Excited to see more of Effy (unclear on whether or not I'm allowed to think she's hot...)

Sad to see Cassie go (think she's in legal territory, so I think it's safe to say she's hot).

I think I may have a thing for crazy girls...

RIGHT so skins rant coming up becaus having rewatched the "good " episodes from series 3 - (3, 6,7,8,9)- the thing which pisses me off about this new series of skins is that at its heart its a "drama" series, the main characters nearly all have intricate depth and real character that when combined with the atmosphere sex,drugs and hawtness makes it incredibly compelling viewing.

However, for some reason they have to live in this universe where every minor character is a bat-shit insane comedy stereotype In the first two series with some exceptions the "other characters" generally had real stories and ghosts in their closet that made them interesting. In this series all the minor characters are without exception totally unrealistic dickwads with no redeeming features whatsoever whom you just want to scream " fuck off and die" at every time one of them entered the screen. Except for the teacher who hits on naomi I don't think any of the minor characters added anything at all to the series and it makes it alot harder to watch an episode when you know that there is a 50% chance they are going to screw up the episode with a pedophiliac gay crack whore nun character to provide "comedy effect" for the legions of 15 year olds who now watch the show. Which is a shame because skins is really a show for 19-25 year olds to look back on with a mixture relief that their teenage years were not so fucked up and jealousy that they never had such fun.

• 9 months later...

I LOVED the first two seasons. Watched the first 2 episodes of the third and I said to myself it will never capture the magic of the first two seasons. Everything was so complex with the first two. should I give season 3&4 a chance?

and alterion, you hit the fucking nail on the head. Infact it struck me so hard, I had to sit and reflect on it for a minute. wish I could rep.

Which is a shame because skins is really a show for 19-25 year olds to look back on with a mixture relief that their teenage years were not so fucked up and jealousy that they never had such fun.

well, I finished the first season in 1 1/2 days... some of the jokes and plot twists were very predictable, but it got a few laughs out of me

now I'm really curious about other British shows... I've seen the UK version of The Office (doesn't really do it for me) and I remember watching Phoenix Nights in my hotel room when I visited London, which I thought was hilarious at the time. I'm almost tempted to download the show Shameless, which was done by the same people as Skins... any other suggestions?

As far as comedy goes:

-Nathan Barley

-Mighty Boosh

-Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

-Office

-Extras

peep show is fucking amazing

aside from that, absolute power is probably my all time favorite british comedy. it had stephen fry in the role of a PR executive. you need to know a bit about what was going on in the british media/politics around the early-2000's to truely understand it, but its not a necessity. aside from that its pretty intellectual and the humour is dry, so its not for everybody. It only ran for something like 3 seasons.

+

peep show

IT crowd

brass eye

alan partridge

father ted (irish)

spaced

fawlty towers

league of gentlemen

green wing

can't think of others but there must be

oh, there was this show nearly 10 years ago called Los Dos Bros, if you can track that down i remember that being incredibly funny

phone shop and campus had their pilots late last year and are starting soon, very funny - particularly the former.

• 2 weeks later...