coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

Yo, ritual kills blue bottle on every level, i don't think anybody tried to say BB was better than ritual.

(full disclosure, my wife's cousin manages the ritualhayes valley spot)

The kiosk, right? Cameron be killin it over there. It's a must on my way back to BART from beers at Toronado.

The kiosk, right? Cameron be killin it over there. It's a must on my way back to BART from beers at Toronado.

Yup, exactly. Her name is genie, says what's up next time you're over there.

Anybody going to the cc event in la in two weeks? is it all hype?

definitely worth checking out, I was actually invited to take part in this as well as the NYC event (We are talking coffee common right?)

I'm holding out to take part in the cc @TED global in Scotland this June

On the subject of hand grinders - I picked up the Camano coffee mill a few months ago on the recommendation of a friend who does wholesale sales for Stumptown. I was originally considering a Hario but I like this one better because the beans dont hop all over the place and you can adjust grind settings much more easily. Aesthetics are subjective but I think it's a pretty good looking piece.

redrooster_1.jpg

redrooster_2.jpg

As far as why someone would spend this kind of money on a hand grinder versus an entry level powered burr grinder, my kitchen is super small and counter/cabinet space is at a premium. This is super small, fits on the top shelf and I only make 1-2 cups at a time so it's really not a big deal to have to grind beans myself. Here's a link with more info on it:

http://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/products-page/coffee-grinders/camano-coffee-mill/

On the subject of hand grinders - I picked up the Camano coffee mill a few months ago on the recommendation of a friend who does wholesale sales for Stumptown. I was originally considering a Hario but I like this one better because the beans dont hop all over the place and you can adjust grind settings much more easily. Aesthetics are subjective but I think it's a pretty good looking piece.

http://www.redrooste...no-coffee-mill/

Thanks for posting.

Nice looking grinder. $60 + shipping doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm probably going to end up purchasing the hario mini though - slightly more transportable. Although, maybe I'll pick this up later...

^^ nice. the camano is my first choice, it sure beats the mini hario that is usually the 1-2 cup crowd's first choice. looks real good, too.

sidenote: does anyone have suggestions for a truly watertight travel mug that isn't gigantic and/or tall?

just came across cuppow. i kind of just like saying 'cuppow'. though i think it's more stupid than cool, maybe some of you might be into it out there.

1. um, you have to have a pretty heat resistant mason jar.

2. it's probably not going to keep your liquid warm.

but it's totally practical if you're into the mason jar thing - especially if you're into ice coffee. and really, who doesn't have canning jars lying around the house anyway.

but on that note - i just use a 16 ounce stanley thermos that's not insanely humongous.

Edited by mapz

Intriguing, I have a bunch of extra Ball mason jars lying around the apartment, but like you said, it only seems useful for iced coffee or some other cold beverage.

That video was also entirely too dramatic for the product being showcased.

• 2 weeks later...

Is buying a second-hand Breville BCG450XL worth worth 60? I tried looking for a good price on a refurbished Maestro but I couldn't find anything.

wait another week for the refurb maestro

http://www.baratzallc.com/about/news/important-refurbished-grinder-update/

just came across cuppow. i kind of just like saying 'cuppow'. though i think it's more stupid than cool, maybe some of you might be into it out there. 1. um, you have to have a pretty heat resistant mason jar. 2. it's probably not going to keep your liquid warm. but it's totally practical if you're into the mason jar thing - especially if you're into ice coffee. and really, who doesn't have canning jars lying around the house anyway.

but on that note - i just use a 16 ounce stanley thermos that's not insanely humongous.

this is some hipster bullshit if i've ever seen it.

Is anyone into that super nutty shit? I'm looking for bean recommendations in the nutty, south american, medium roast category. the nuttier the better. preferably nothing too expensive; ideally $13-15 a pound.

I just cracked into a bag of Carmo Estate from JJ Bean...Brazilian, 100% bourbon, pulped natural..the shit tastes like peanut butter...so amazing, if you're not too far away from Vancouver or concerned with getting your coffee one day off of roast type fresh..order a bag, it's fucking amazing

Edited by GregoryH

anyone try the offerings from handsome coffee? opinions?

We've got a weekly subscription sent over to the 3sixteen offices. Their Kenya Ruthagati was lifechanging, unfortunately I think they're out of that bean for the time being. I like the San Sebastian quite a bit, and the Don Medardo has a really interesting earthiness to it that I haven't experienced before.

For those looking to get a nice kettle, this one by Bonavita is supposed to be better than the Hario Buono and it's $20 cheaper too.

http://www.buzzartis...Bonavita-Kettle

That spout on the Bonavita supposedly pours more evenly than the Buono. For those who already have a Buono, this mod is looking awesome:

http://barismo.com/e...ur/prod_32.html

Cuts the flow rate by half and evens out the pours for better V60 extractions.

In other news, anybody fuck with one of these?:

3026528379_c27e604d72_z.jpg

I picked up a Hario TCA-2 siphon brewer while in Taiwan for like $55 (the non-gold version) a few weeks ago and have been playing with it everyday. It's not an easy extraction method to master and it's prone to messing up but when it's done right it will produce the best damn cup of coffee you will ever taste. I strongly recommend getting a siphon brewer though; it can be a weekend brewer since it requires a lot more time and effort to get it right but the payoff is worth it (plus it's the most fun extraction method there is).

Edited by super

oh shit, that bonavita link is to the buzz shop. you're not in chicago are you? buzz is quite underrated over here for some reason, but it's one of my favorites in the city. i need a new kettle, though - i think i'll stop by there this weekend pick up the bonavita.

man i've never really been into the idea of going the siphon route - it's just too clunky and unwieldy for my taste. seems like a bitch to wash, too.

haha that's awesome - looks like straight out of a chemists kitchen :D

though i'm interested why it is so difficult to get it right? seems pretty straightforward to me - add ground beans on top, add hot water in the flask, wait till it boils, remove flame - voilà

@mapz: naw I'm in socal right now. Just saw that kettle featured in the home-barista forums

haha that's awesome - looks like straight out of a chemists kitchen :D

though i'm interested why it is so difficult to get it right? seems pretty straightforward to me - add ground beans on top, add hot water in the flask, wait till it boils, remove flame - voilà

It's difficult to get right because:

1. the temperature needs to be just right because too much heat can burn the coffee

2. the grind needs to be dialed in properly (too many fines and you get too many bitters, too many coarse grounds and taste will be off)

3. the extraction technique needs to be practiced. over-stirring can cause over extraction and bad taste

4. timing needs to be right. typically the coffee "steep time" is around a minute and then the drawdown time is supposed to last exactly 45 seconds. variations in drawdown time will definitely affect taste.

5. the cloth filter needs to be maintained or off flavors in the coffee will develop. we're talking about thorough rinsing with hot water after using and an oxi-clean bath every 8-10 uses.

Nope, the filter that most siphon brewers use are cloth filters:

4i20z8.jpg

In my current setup, I use that cloth filter along with a different metal filter. The metal filter allows more sediment to pass through, resulting in a cup that is similar to french press, but much more refined. You can also use a vintage glass rod filter:

3659499878_9c1d5dfbee_o.jpg

That glass filter is reportedly very hard to use as stalls are common. There is also a risk of glass implosion.

Edited by super

• 3 weeks later...

photo-40.jpg

Here are the coffees I've been drinking over the past few weeks. All are really excellent in different ways. The Nueva Armenia is perhaps my favorite coffee ever--classic, perfect. The Hula Daddy is one of Kona's best coffees, and was a splurge (was in Kona) at $50/12oz. The Pulcal is an awesome example of perhaps my favorite type of coffee--a central American Bourbon.

Have you guys seen this app from Intelligentsia? Great looking app to make a great cup of coffee.

http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/intelligentsia-iphone-app/

What are your guys' favorite methods of brewing? I've been a french press man for a long time, but I'm thinking about getting in on cold brewing toddy for this summer.

my favorite method is probably a stovetop espresso maker. i prefer its elegant simplicity and intense results. however, its not idiot/stoner proof as i have run through 3 of these things and nearly caught fire to my apt in one case.