Self Edge x Iron Heart

kiya

kiya, my 634S is a 31... should i get a 31 for the colab?

I'd get a 32, they might be tight but keep in mind that all Iron Heart jeans stretch out an entire inch within two weeks of wear.

Just keep telling yourself "it's worth the pain"

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have expected any less for a savvy business man. Think about it, inform the hype boards and don't sell anything online or over the phone for the first week. That means that you may get a huge line and bring a lot of attention to your business.

If he makes the SExIH available over the Net or by phone, most would go to SuFu'ers and he wouldn't be expanding his customer base and would be missing out on free PR.

By doing it this way, he'll sell more stuff, not just SExIHs and can also cross sell the customers to his shoe store for cool kicks.

That's what I would do if I was Kiya.

these are great jeans no doubt, but seeing them pushed on the hype boards is a little disappointing, doesn't change my opinion of the jeans, but does change my opinion of the seller. No offense. I'm realizing I'm reading too much into this, but I really hope kiya isn't approaching selling these artisan japanese denim brands with the same attitude as selling sneakers. Sure japanese denim has a great story and is susceptible to being hyped to the trend-driven, but unlike sneakers, japanese denim is an artisan endeavor that has more aesthetics and purpose built into the product than mass-factory limited edition sneakers. It's all a choice on how you sell a product, you can try to sell it to the people that appreciate it for it's tangible value, or you can market the product and sell based on intangible (gotta-have-it) value. Selling by spreading the word to the hypedriven is a short term startegy, and doesn't fit with the characteristics of the product being sold, in my opinion.

just because I'm feeling deep at the moment here's a quote from a great man and architect, tadao ando on japanese aesthtic, which I see japanese denim as being a part of.

"During a discussion between Paul Valery and Paul Claudel, it was said that, “If there were one nation in the world whose demise would have serious consequences it would be the Japanese.” I interpret this statement to mean that we mustn’t allow the characteristic Japanese aesthetic to die out. Aesthetics also include things like a sense of responsibility and a sense of justice. They also incorporate a respect for other people and for nature, an appreciation of the gift of life, and courtesy. They even extend to the ability to look at the world around one, properly.

However, with the arrival of a period of rapid economic growth during the 1960s, the idea that making a profit became the most important thing. With it, came the idea that so long as one had money one would be well off, became fashionable, and the “old” aesthetics all but vanished. One only needs to look at the streets of Tokyo to understand the consequences: it is not a cityscape that speaks of the pursuit of beauty, but the result of putting economic efficiency before everything else."

The Black Arm you're right. You are reading too much into it. Way too much. Having your own opinion is fine but sharing it here is a bit discourteous. My impression is that Kiya was approached by the various sites for info and he obliged. Whatever the case, is it our business how he does business?

not meaning to be discourteous. I was specifically responding to the post I quoted. please read it in that context.

The Black Arm you're right. You are reading too much into it. Way too much. Having your own opinion is fine but sharing it here is a bit discourteous. My impression is that Kiya was approached by the various sites for info and he obliged. Whatever the case, is it our business how he does business?

In response to "the black arm"...

If you were to be dissapointed every time a streetware related blog such as Hypebeast, SlamxHype, or High Snobiety were to report on something you like, you'd be left with very few choices.

You would have to nix Self Edge, Iron Heart, Sugarcane, Nudies, APC, Nom De Guerre, Comme De Garcon, and many more brands.

You have to understand that these blogs actually do report on MANY things that the Superfuture crowd is heavily into, but the signal to noise ratio is very bad, so it's hard to overlook all the hyped out brands that end up on those blogs on an hourly basis.

Basically, like it or not, those blogs which you're not fond of are going to report on what they want, and it'd be pompous of me to refuse them information or photos when asked.

And in response to us selling out? Keep dreaming..

A little update..

The 25 black pairs have fallen behind, they don't arrive until four days after the release, you can still purchase a black pair and they'll be mailed to you free of charge when they arrive a few days after the release.

Kiya -

I'm having a friend stop by on the 31st to purchase a pair of the blacks. I'll be in SF on 04/06, a day or two after you get them in the store. Can you just hold the blacks for me until I pick them up instead of shipping them to me? They'd be paid in full on the 31st of course.

Please advise. Mahalo.

I was kidding kiya.

I find the "omg ur on hypebeast" reaction to be pretty hilarious. I want you to make a go of it. Hell, I want you to franchise and open a shop here in Austin. BiG too. Factory People is nice and all but it doesn't hold a candle to you guys.

Kiya -

I'm having a friend stop by on the 31st to purchase a pair of the blacks. I'll be in SF on 04/06, a day or two after you get them in the store. Can you just hold the blacks for me until I pick them up instead of shipping them to me? They'd be paid in full on the 31st of course.

Please advise. Mahalo.

Yup, we can totally do that.

If for some reason they're not in by the 6th we'll just ship them to you..

not meaning to be discourteous. I was specifically responding to the post I quoted. please read it in that context.

Lowrider was tipping his hat to Selfedge / Kiya in suggesting that the hype train has been cunningly engineered for maximum exposure. In taking this as gospel, you then made a post to share that you felt this to be in bad taste. I got a general impression without having ever spoken to Kiya or even reading this thread thoroughly that it was more a case of him being requested rather than making the request. As a result it seemed remiss to me that you didn't pick up this and instead launched into a bit of dafamation. To quote a cute chick at my work, don't hate, appreciate! :)

In response to "the black arm"...

If you were to be dissapointed every time a streetware related blog such as Hypebeast, SlamxHype, or High Snobiety were to report on something you like, you'd be left with very few choices.

You would have to nix Self Edge, Iron Heart, Sugarcane, Nudies, APC, Nom De Guerre, Comme De Garcon, and many more brands.

You have to understand that these blogs actually do report on MANY things that the Superfuture crowd is heavily into, but the signal to noise ratio is very bad, so it's hard to overlook all the hyped out brands that end up on those blogs on an hourly basis.

Basically, like it or not, those blogs which you're not fond of are going to report on what they want, and it'd be pompous of me to refuse them information or photos when asked.

I'm not disappointed in a product because a site I don't like is talking about it; I'll like the product on its own merits. My comment was more responding to how these jeans can be positioned to generate the most hype/buzz, and in my opinion that kind of promoting doesn't fit with the way these jeans are normally sold or presented, or the spirit in which they're made. Its a style issue. This product is made in a certain spirit and sold in a way where its preferable to err on the side of the product and not on the side of the sale; in my eyes you wouldn't be pompous to refuse hypebeast in featuring your product next to the Nike Dunk High Easter, I would respect you even more. But obviously I'm not in your position, and I don't expect you to want or try to please everyone, let alone me, or care what I'm saying. Just simply offering a viewpoint, not trying to put you or the store down.

Lowrider was tipping his hat to Selfedge / Kiya in suggesting that the hype train has been cunningly engineered for maximum exposure. In taking this as gospel, you then made a post to share that you felt this to be in bad taste. I got a general impression without having ever spoken to Kiya or even reading this thread thoroughly that it was more a case of him being requested rather than making the request. As a result it seemed remiss to me that you didn't pick up this and instead launched into a bit of dafamation. To quote a cute chick at my work, don't hate, appreciate! :)

synthinyoure right, thats exactly what I was responding too. I realize self egde didn't engineer the hype, but did facilitate. not hating on kiya or self edge. sometimes an opinion can be just that, doesn't have to be an attack or defamation.

Cool, we understand each other, just I don't think your opinion was very informed. Anyway Kiya doesn't need anyone to fight his battles, he's responded to you so that's that :)

But seeing as you like to go deep consider this. Given that the blue jean is synonymous with the USA, iconic even, imagine if I told you that there were a bunch of historican denim nerds in their 50-60s who frowned on Japan (particularly given the history) recreating American workwear and military clothing. This is fictitious, but if there were such a group of dudes they could passionately lay out a point of view just as you have. Theirs might be that jeans are American and anyone else trying to recreate them the way they were made in the good ol' days are dishonouring the USA somehow.

Here's another, these jeans are a repro of the Dior 21cm cut, to the millimetre. Hedi Slimane is a Frenchman who is known to use 16yr old boys for the runway. You could therefore also make a passionate argument to say in keeping with the spirit of these jeans, they should come in sizes 24 - 30 only. It's all meanigless conjecture. Ultimately they are just a pair of jeans. If you like them, buy them. Sorry for derailing the thread - here Kiya you can have it back :)

My Yoyo crew coming through..

http://blog.yoyo2.com/bl/index.php

Yeah. Sorry about that. If I'd known it was going to blow up like this, I would have kept my keyboard shut.

Just couldn't resist. They just look so damn good...

Holy Shiite.

I'm speachless...

I'm guessing the hypebeast post probably wasn't that big of a surprise.

http://www.hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34849

Kiya, I realize posting in forums and having blogs feature your product is a great marketing tool to move product, these are your jeans and you spent cash on them, no doubt . . . but something just doesn't sit right with me and the level of promotion and where its being promoted given the type of product it is. I really don't think most people appreciate/care/understand that to the companies making these jeans there is a lot more meaning than simply creating apparel . . . there's another level of purpose and respect in the process, and I think that gets lost completely in the hype machine. To me there's a very fine line between sharing information and pushing product. To each his own i guess.

I'm guessing the hypebeast post probably wasn't that big of a surprise.

http://www.hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34849

Kiya, I realize posting in forums and having blogs feature your product is a great marketing tool to move product, these are your jeans and you spent cash on them, no doubt . . . but something just doesn't sit right with me and the level of promotion and where its being promoted given the type of product it is. I really don't think most people appreciate/care/understand that to the companies making these jeans there is a lot more meaning than simply creating apparel . . . there's another level of purpose and respect in the process, and I think that gets lost completely in the hype machine. To me there's a very fine line between sharing information and pushing product. To each his own i guess.

Not sure what your beef is...

You don't like how i promote products then don't buy it.

Shitting up this thread and trying to pick a fight is bad form, go to ISS with that shit.

I've got a plan with what i do, i don't just blow out stock and move along, i'm trying to create progress within the denim world. If you don't see it that way i feel very bad for your narrowminded mindset.

Tangerine was just at SE yesterday and i was just explaining to him that this collaboration is going to open many doors for others to do the same in America, the more exposure it gets the more other store owners that have similar operations as Self Edge will see it as less of a risk and maybe try something similar.

Just so you know Kevin from Hypebeast got the info from Slamxhype. Slamxhype was the first site to release the info on a blog because one of the main writers for Slam reads SuFu obsessively.

Why am i even justifying this?

Not sure what you beef is...

But just so you know Kevin from Hypebeast got the info from Slamxhype. Slamxhype was the first site to release the info on a blog because of the main writers for Slam read SuFu obsessively.

Why the fuck am i justifying this?

no beef. I just don't like being sold. Thats my feedback, take it for what its worth. No need to justify anything.

If you do not like being sold how can you be on these boards? Or leave the house for that matter? As Kiya said; Don't like it, don't buy it. I am tired of things being great until others know about them. Even if Kiya bought a superbowl ad, there are still only 100 pairs to be sold. They still will be exclusive. If you are so worried about being a cool kid with all your exclusive stuff then take solace in being able to tell people how long you have been in the denim game when IH blows up.

If you do not like being sold how can you be on these boards? Or leave the house for that matter? As Kiya said; Don't like it, don't buy it. I am tired of things being great until others know about them. Even if Kiya bought a superbowl ad, there are still only 100 pairs to be sold. They still will be exclusive. If you are so worried about being a cool kid with all your exclusive stuff then take solace in being able to tell people how long you have been in the denim game when IH blows up.

I never said I don't like the product, I think its looks amazing. I'm commenting on exactly what your saying, the notion of hyping the exclusivity, and blowing shit up, that's what doesn't sit well with me, and not because that means I won't be the only kid on my block with these jeans; if only everyone had that level of great taste that wold be fantastic. Like I said, it begins and ends with the product, not the story, at least for me.

imagine if I told you that there were a bunch of historican denim nerds in their 50-60s who frowned on Japan (particularly given the history) recreating American workwear and military clothing.

Synthi what's a historican? Is that like a Puerto Rican historian?

Btw, you know I think you're one of the most insightful dudes on SuFu. I'm just having a bit of fun.

So, uh, since we're on the topic and everything..

Are you guys just gonna buy your 21cm size or are you gonna size up one to account for less stretching, hm? Or are you gonna size up so you can soak them down to proper size? Or are you gonna size down because this is superfuture?