soepom

what are you eating today?

That looks like a french bulldog more than a pig.

Can we ban Arsenal from this thread?

Don't really get the hate for vegans, regardless of whether or not you agree with the health/environmental rationale frequently provided. In the same way as you can get a diverse range of flavours and textures from meat and fish products, there's also a branesploady diversity of fruit & vegetables to explore. Even when it comes to raw food, there's a surprising amount of coincidence between the techniques used in its preparation and the techniques found in molecular cooking. I like a sloppy burger as much as the next person but there's also something to be said for the surprising results you get when you have to re-think elements of food that have hung around out of tradition or convenience.

But: pushy vegans and fast food junkies alike are annoying.

forgot to post these from my Hawaii trip

bd251cd7.jpg

4b3d2cff.jpg

57ae99e9.jpg

7cdd8d19.jpg

88da6a1d.jpg

c9628e07.jpg

45e5a6cf.jpg

23461353.jpg

2fd4d57e.jpg

36784c72.jpg

34eul47.jpg

Chicken with roasted broccoli, zucchini, carrots, whole garlic cloves – all on mushroom oatmeal.

(Basically cooked steel cut oats like a risotto. Instead of water, I used the liquid from reconstituting a bunch of dried shiitakes. Chopped up some of the mushrooms and threw them in at the end. I loved it.)

Best drink ever!

IMG_0204.jpg

gogo! curry! with cheese topping! damn awesome!

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

This thread inspired me to get some donuts this morning. They weren't nearly as good as the ones recently posted look.

made eggs benedict on ciabatta toasts for breakfast/lunch this morning.

5543927625_393c5ddc2b_b.jpg

oh sweet rich cholesterol..

Edit: need more attractive plates...

ducksousvide.jpg

Duck breast cooked sous vide with an orange sauce and lentils du puy. No fancy equipment needed, just a pot of hot water and a thermometer:

Don't really get the hate for vegans, regardless of whether or not you agree with the health/environmental rationale frequently provided. In the same way as you can get a diverse range of flavours and textures from meat and fish products, there's also a branesploady diversity of fruit & vegetables to explore. Even when it comes to raw food, there's a surprising amount of coincidence between the techniques used in its preparation and the techniques found in molecular cooking. I like a sloppy burger as much as the next person but there's also something to be said for the surprising results you get when you have to re-think elements of food that have hung around out of tradition or convenience.

But: pushy vegans and fast food junkies alike are annoying.

i don't hate vegans at all, but i just can't respect their opinions on food when they entirely shutter themselves off from, basically, the main thing that has sustained humans for the entirety of our existence. i have a lot of veg/vegan friends and eat that way pretty frequently, and it can be great, but how can i really trust you on food if you refuse to eat a rack of ribs, or prosciutto, or a fucking egg? i dunno, i'm not bitter about it, it's their loss really (until my heart explodes from too much foie gras)

i don't hate vegans at all, but i just can't respect their opinions on food when they entirely shutter themselves off from, basically, the main thing that has sustained humans for the entirety of our existence. i have a lot of veg/vegan friends and eat that way pretty frequently, and it can be great, but how can i really trust you on food if you refuse to eat a rack of ribs, or prosciutto, or a fucking egg? i dunno, i'm not bitter about it, it's their loss really (until my heart explodes from too much foie gras)

I don't trust anyone who doesn't eat cheese.

Guest naknakBeast

so ive come to the conclusion that an egg whether that be boiled or fried is good on/in anything. word

Went to pies'n'thighs with Vampy and Calvin for brunch, yesterday

friedchickenwafflesdonu.jpg

Chicken'N'Waffles & chocolate cake donut

10/10, will cop again, etc

Their donuts are so bomb. Love the lil cinnamon sugar donut holes that you get while you wait for takeout. Chicken biscuit w/ hot sauce and honey butter reigns supreme.

french toast

23tnvq9.jpg

so custardy

2wd3syg.jpg

ham and asiago omelette

2rr40pf.jpg

benedict

2wh009s.jpg

mini bread pudding

v8804.jpg

egg, bacon, tomato jam

2edtrnq.jpg

egg, cheese, (hidden) sausage

nnv2va.jpg

oh dang how did these non-egg items get in here

banh mi

oauopj.jpg

tried some new dranks

2jfmvmd.jpg

^where you eat all 'dat? (plz tell me you're in LA plzzzzz)

also good call on that russian river consecration ale...big fan of most of their brews i've tried thus far. too bad all the positive feedback/high demand might have gone to their heads: http://www.la-foodie.com/beer/russian-river-brewing-company/

Portland - ORE

first spot is my parents cafe, second set is from Grand Central Bakery.

Brown Sugar Kitchen, Oakland

Oh my god, so good. Perhaps not worth 15 dollars, but damn good.

img0509la.jpg

i read that high yesterday night and made ramen at 4am before going to bed. such a bad idea :/