what are you eating today?

soepom

Hawksmoor uses grass fed beef, which I prefer for flavour but generally makes bad burgers imo compared to the softer texture and juicier marblling of grain fed usda, however they use a carefully calibrated selection of cuts, and stud their patties with bone marrow to compensate. Only available at lunch, and by no means cheap. Also better without bacon, as the cure is too aggressively salty and unbalances the sandwich. Have heard good things about the burger at Goodman's also.

X- Posting from the WAYJT Thread

Today we just walked around town a bit.

Got up this morning and went to Sage Bakehouse for breakfast. Cool place a couple blocks from my casita. Best bread in NM from what I have found.

I had a Ham and Gruyere Tart

Sarah had a Blueberry Muffin and a Mocha

IMGP0005-3.jpg

IMGP0001-6.jpg

IMGP0002-6.jpg

IMGP0003-5.jpg

Ended up walking down to the plaza and popped in to La Boca for a late lunch. The place was nearly empty, but the chef/owner was in the kitchen and they were open. We just had sandwiches, but this place can pump out a fantastic 5-6 course tasting menu at night... and has fantastic tapas for both lunch and dinner. Killer wine/port/sherry list too.

I had a Lamb Kefta on Flatbread with Greens Salad and Pickled Cucumbers and Onions

Sarah had a Cubano Sandwich with Greens.

IMGP0048-1.jpg

IMGP0049-1.jpg

IMGP0051.jpg

IMGP0052.jpg

IMGP0055.jpg

IMGP0058.jpg

It's not actual "kobe"

it's probably american wagyu beef, which means very little.

"Kobe" is mostly a marketing gimmick in the US, and has little actual relation to the actual A5 grade true Kobe beef.

i've also heard things about the grounding/hamburger patty-ization of kobe beef to be sort of counterintuitive. like, the meat loses a lot of its marbling/flavor/integrity in the process.

no?

Depends on how much you are going to cook it, and how recently it's been ground.

If you grind it daily and then high heat sear it on the outside and leave the inside basically raw, it's like steak tartare inside. This is how I've always had kobe (the real stuff) burgers... and it's how I order pretty much any super high quality hamburger.

Tonight the restaurant I work for called me in for a quick menu tasting... so here is what I sampled.

Ahi Tuna Tartare

Avocado,Fresh Wasabi, Smoked Sesame Seeds, Jalapeno Blinis, Citrus Soy Air

IMGP0023.jpg

Roasted Organic Beet Salad

French Beans, Upland Cress, Marcona Almonds, Goat Cheese, Crispy Shallots

IMGP0024.jpg

Maple Cured Quail

Sweet Potato Sable, Prosciutto, Spicy Herb Puree, Shallot Aigre-Doux

IMGP0025.jpg

Baked Potato-Parmigiano Bisque

Prawn and Smoked Salmon Beignets, Pumpernickel, Baby Dill

IMGP0027.jpg

Tempura Blue Point Oysters

Garlic-Parsnip Puree, Cucumber Radish Salad, Fermented Black Bean Chili Vinaigrette

IMGP0028.jpg

Grilled Berkshire Pork Rib Chop

Sweet Potato Pave, Guajillo Chile Glaze, Broccolini, Lemon Garlic Shoots

IMGP0029.jpg

Seared Atlantic Salmon

Korean BBQ Prawn Potstickers, Sweet Peas, Golden Corn, Seaweed, Shrimp-Sambal Broth

IMGP0030.jpg

Sea Bass

Flavours of the Riviera, Fennel-Curry Puree, Golden Potato Gnocchi, Preserved Lemon

IMGP0033.jpg

Prime Beef Tenderloin

Crushed Fingerling Potatoes, Garlic Transparency, Carrots, Gorgonzola Cromesquis

IMGP0036.jpg

Cheesecake Factory serves a kobe beef burger now? smh.....

shake your head it was good. if they just called it a hamburger, it would still be bomb.

It's not actual "kobe"

it's probably american wagyu beef, which means very little.

"Kobe" is mostly a marketing gimmick in the US, and has little actual relation to the actual A5 grade true Kobe beef.

thanks for the info.

shake your head it was good. if they just called it a hamburger, it would still be bomb.

thanks for the info.

A good hamburger is a good hamburger no matter what the name!

no hate, and I feel you on wagyu beef in burgers, but that's a mess of flavours and ingredients on a series of fussily arranged plates. I know there's a heap of technical skill involved, but any menu which mixes up Korean, Mexican, Japanese, French etc techniques and ingredients so self consciously (and by this I'm precisely referring not to the adoption of global ingredients and flavour combinations, but the assertive flagging of such combinations by using French terminology (Aigre-Doux, Beignets, Pave etc) and labeled multinational produce (Guajillo Chile, Korean BBQ, Sambal etc) all over the menu) is one which I would see as more concerned with the novelty of fashionable ingredients than the actual soul of the dish. This kind of pretension started to be laughed out of restaurants in London 15 years ago. How can someone who calls bullshit on mincing the fuck out of beef prized for it's delicate texture not find this menu comical? I dunno, maybe you have to be a chef to get the joke.

no hate, and I feel you on wagyu beef in burgers, but that's a mess of flavours and ingredients on a series of fussily arranged plates. I know there's a heap of technical skill involved, but any menu which mixes up Korean, Mexican, Japanese, French etc techniques and ingredients so self consciously (and by this I'm precisely referring not to the adoption of global ingredients and flavour combinations, but the assertive flagging of such combinations by using French terminology (Aigre-Doux, Beignets, Pave etc) and labeled multinational produce (Guajillo Chile, Korean BBQ, Sambal etc) all over the menu) is one which I would see as more concerned with the novelty of fashionable ingredients than the actual soul of the dish. This kind of pretension started to be laughed out of restaurants in London 15 years ago. How can someone who calls bullshit on mincing the fuck out of beef prized for it's delicate texture not find this menu comical? I dunno, maybe you have to be a chef to get the joke.

No sense of hate taken.

I appreciate the input.

I think that this chef really feels like he's pulling from a number of different sources and that what he's presenting is more of a play on those concepts rather than classical examples of them.

Sometimes I feel that he could simplify things and get a little more clear depiction of what he's going for... but on this menu I think he's tightening up his flavours.

He did a true tasting menu for some friends the other day and it was really nice to see him get much more simplistic with his ingredient list, but more playful with presentation.

That being said, I think this menu isn't so far out from what is being done in the US right now, particularly not in the southwest... for a chef born in latin america and trained in france... I dunno. I'm obviously biased, I work there :) ...

I really do appreciate the input though.