usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

anyone been to namu gaji?

Ive got time for a solo lunch tomorrow and im looking for some solid eats near maas n stacks area.

My buddies who are (and soon to be were, RIP) the butchers at 4505 Meats swear by Namu Gaji.

anyone been to namu gaji?

Ive got time for a solo lunch tomorrow and im looking for some solid eats near maas n stacks area.

Don't do it, i've been there four times and each time i think how it's possible that what i had was that mediocre.  Especially in that area you have so many better options. If you're feeling like you need Asian food in the Mission go to Mau, it's very solid Vietnamese.

EDIT: I've never had the dinner service there.. only lunch.

Edited by kiya

Don't do it, i've been there four times and each time i think how it's possible that what i had was that mediocre.  Especially in that area you have so many better options. If you're feeling like you need Asian food in the Mission go to Mau, it's very solid Vietnamese.

EDIT: I've never had the dinner service there.. only lunch.

I dont need asian, just looking for something i cant get in PDX.

Where would you go for a solid solo lunch in that area? I want to treat myself a little. 

• 5 months later...

I think Namu Gaji has some really good stuff just don't really love the actual menu. Like their bulgogi is actually REAL good but it's only in their snack hour tacos which, while looking cool, are impossible to pick up and eat and generally super frustrating.

Mau is def under hyped for america-fusion-y viet. Pho ga with veges is like ultimate comfort food. Bun Thang also realllly good.

Tacolicious is super hype but, yeah, pretty good. 

Delfina, Mission Chinese, as well for lunch?

It is true that 90% of everything in Mission is dinner only sadly. I feel like any other neighborhood has better ratio of lunch / dinner spots.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure how Mexican food is in Chicago but if you find yourself in the mission I would highly recommend getting a burrito (I like El Farolito or La Taqueria).

Burmese food is quite popular here. Everyone gushes over Burma Superstar but I like B*Star (their sister, pan-Asian focused restaurant) and Mandalay just as much.

and don't forget to try some Dim Sum

Are there any styles or categories of food I should definitely check out? I'll be coming from Chicago which is a decent food city, but for example I'm assuming sushi is miles beyond what we have here. What about pizza? Vegetarian? Anything else you think SF does best?

I've actually had your donuts and was sadly not impressed :/ so if you have a sweets tooth I would recommend mr Holmes bake house, b patisserie, craftsman and wolves, tartine bakery, Jane (fantastic brioche and avocado toast and egg white sandwich) and bobs donut / Dynamo donut (runner up).

There are a few Michelin star restaurants here but you'd have to book in advance.

Beretta, delfina, mission Chinese food, katana ya ramen....

If you head out of SF into Berkeley and San Mateo there are some good yakitori spots and ramen spots...have to go early or they run out of the good stuff and there's sadly always a line.

Brunch, I still love mama in north beach for the Monte Carlo, Brenda is decent, dotties is good.

Ice cream, bi-rite, mr and mrs misc, lush (not the soap), over the moon, humphrey

Burgers--in and out, super duper, barneys (black pepper patty), roam, Unami, causwell etc...

Hotpot, Korean spots...

There's just a lot.....

• 4 months later...

Katana ya way way better than I expected. +1

Favorite underground speakeasy whiskey/cocktail spot? Preferably not in the TL. Feel like I need to mix up my boozing.

Go to Hideout, it's a hidden tiny cocktail bar behind Dalva on 16th.

It's well priced and low-key in a good way.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna be in town at the end of this month. Thinking of getting lunch alone before my friends get into town. 

I'm looking to spend <$60-80. What's the best option for:

1) California-inspired food e.g. chez paniz (I went to Zuni when I was in town years ago — I really liked it)

2) Asian food - preferably non-sushi Japanese but doesn't have to be Japanese?

Of course, I'm open to other suggestions. I prefer casual places (as in like, I don't have to wear a jacket - jeans and shirt). 

I'm gonna be in town at the end of this month. Thinking of getting lunch alone before my friends get into town. 

I'm looking to spend <$60-80. What's the best option for:

1) California-inspired food e.g. chez paniz (I went to Zuni when I was in town years ago — I really liked it)

2) Asian food - preferably non-sushi Japanese but doesn't have to be Japanese?

Of course, I'm open to other suggestions. I prefer casual places (as in like, I don't have to wear a jacket - jeans and shirt). 

1: Petit Crenn

2. Mr. Jiu's

Those are both very very good calls. Two of my fav places I've been to recently. Actually, most of the places I'd recommend in that price range don't do lunch; SF is stupid sometimes. 

I haven't had any Japanese food here worth eating tbh. 

If you're still hungry after Petit Crenn, the tacos out the back of Cala nearby are pretty tasty. 

Tawla's a new Mediterranean spot that's quite good. (Dinner only though)

• 2 weeks later...

barneys and bloomies usually have the big label lux brands if youre not looking for something in particular, i think darkside is pretty good for nike buys and theres the adidas and converse stores downtown now so you get a pretty big range

i went to undefeated today, decent selection but didn't have anything i really liked. I am kinda looking for diadora n9000 and puma trinomic type stuff. I don't have any specifics in mind other than that. 

I don't really like the shopping scene in SF, but maybe its my outlook. Feel like it could improve a lot a lot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i feel like SF thread needs an update.

Where are people eating, drinking, hanging out, shopping, doing in san francisco (and the surrounding bay area)

I just discovered Tank hill recently. pretty rare to see more than 3 people there at any given time. Best view of the city bar none. Much better than twin peaks in my opinion.

Brewcade in castro is  pretty awesome. Craft beer and arcade. Queen bee gets pretty rowdy.

had some great Korean food recently- Manna. Inner sunset location, good prices, and small wait. Don't need to make reservations.

Pinhole coffee in bernal heights is cute. Nice interior, and in a very neighborhoody location. Feels like you left the crowds. No wifi or outlets though.

Rasmunds in mission. Good beer selection, good bratwurts. 7 dollar beers, 9 dollar brats. Great food, but a bit steep for grub.

Tornado. With the inflating prices within the city, ive been coming back here more often. You can still get 5 dollar beers here, although most beers are 6. This is a beer bar with an extensive tap selection.

i think im gunna head up to marin this weekend and check out mt tam for the first time.