mlproject

japanese punk

i'm still digging and want recommendations of anything i don't know ... probably some i'm forgetting, but do it up.

lip cream

gauze

gism

kuro

crow

cobra

sledgehammer

bull the dogs

bull the dougs

cracker jacks

eastern youth (the old oi band, not the new emo band)

discocks

headcleaners

martens

tom and bootboys

bull the buffalos

ouka

Guitar Wolf is probably assumed. Polysics probably is, too.

Guest jmatsu

registrators

blue hearts

roosters

cocobat

Can't forget Judgement

and Dust Noise. 7inchpunk.com has some good japanese stuff on it....

check out some of the japanese thrash/punk from the mid-late 90's, Assfort comes to mind. They were really good.

Assfort was great. Also, check out The Gaia, great all girl thrash from the early/mid 90's.

oh yeah i forgot about all those bands like assfort and fuck on the beach

i got in to a sold-out NOFX show in high school cause of some punk japanese band that were opening for them, can't remember the name, but they were in a bunch of snowboard videos back in the days. anyway, it was a great show, i'm really grateful to these guys. i don't know anything about japanese punk btw

edit: i remember, the bank name was high-standard or something like that, not too good music if i remember correctly...

GISM, Die you Bastard!, Hammer, Crude and The Clay also come to mind...

i got in to a sold-out NOFX show in high school cause of some punk japanese band that were opening for them, can't remember the name, but they were in a bunch of snowboard videos back in the days. anyway, it was a great show, i'm really grateful to these guys. i don't know anything about japanese punk btw

edit: i remember, the bank name was high-standard or something like that, not too good music if i remember correctly...

You're not talking about Hi-Standard are you?

flatigious idiosyncrasy in the dilapidation. i'm not kidding.

You're not talking about Hi-Standard are you?

yeah yeah, spelled it wrong.

Ging Nang Boyz are a minor obsession of mine.

Their stuff ranges from pop punk-y to acoustic to actual punk-y. Watch their videos if you can find them, they're pretty fucking crazy.

If you're open to hardcore then some good bands from japan: gauge means nothing, killie, and nitro mega prayer.

what kind of hardcore? kind of depends ... into a lot of older sounding shit - straight edge, dischord, but not as much newer metal sounding stuff like dillinger escape plan

there were a lot of "dis-" and "ass-" bands from what i remember from the mid 90's. all probably better than their american counterparts

yeah i always lumped a lot of the d-beat/dis bands into one ... most sounded the same, but some were better than others. i still love diskonto from sweden

ditto on thomas_highstreet's suggestions, as well as Eastern Youth, Guitar Wolf, Polysics.

Melt Banana is of course a no brainer... for newer stuff, check Afrirampo. Not straightforward punk per se but damn good. Mu has a lot of synths and club-influence thrown in but definitely has that punky edge. Ruins is great too, but more experimental/noise than punk - i.e. did the Lightning Bolt thing before Lightning Bolt. DMBQ, punkish cock rock, rocked until their untimely demise. The Naked City tracks with Yamataka Eye on vocals... On the metal end, Zeni Geva. Ni Hao!, despite the name, is Japanese punk-ish. Of the screechy girl, meandering variety - like a poppier Melt Banana sorta. Finally, I would consider "Akuma No Uta" (the one with the Nick Drake knock-off cover art) to be Boris' punk album.

And they are neither Japanese nor remotely punk, but the name Master Musicians of Bukkake alone merits mention, with such classic track titles as Enter the Wang and Bukkake Sunrise.

To be honest, I know more of Japanese noise, metal, or jazz and little about straightforward punk. Looking forward to checking out some of the recommendations in this thread.

ditto on thomas_highstreet's suggestions, as well as Eastern Youth, Guitar Wolf, Polysics.

Melt Banana is of course a no brainer... for newer stuff, check Afrirampo. Not straightforward punk per se but damn good. Mu has a lot of synths and club-influence thrown in but definitely has that punky edge. Ruins is great too, but more experimental/noise than punk - i.e. did the Lightning Bolt thing before Lightning Bolt. DMBQ, punkish cock rock, rocked until their untimely demise. The Naked City tracks with Yamataka Eye on vocals... On the metal end, Zeni Geva. Ni Hao!, despite the name, is Japanese punk-ish. Of the screechy girl, meandering variety - like a poppier Melt Banana sorta. Finally, I would consider "Akuma No Uta" (the one with the Nick Drake knock-off cover art) to be Boris' punk album.

And they are neither Japanese nor remotely punk, but the name Master Musicians of Bukkake alone merits mention, with such classic track titles as Enter the Wang and Bukkake Sunrise.

To be honest, I know more of Japanese noise, metal, or jazz and little about straightforward punk. Looking forward to checking out some of the recommendations in this thread.

good sugestions

what kind of hardcore? kind of depends ... into a lot of older sounding shit - straight edge, dischord, but not as much newer metal sounding stuff like dillinger escape plan

it's kinda towards screamo, not screamo as what most people think of it as but more of stuff like raein, amanda woodward, June paik, I spoke, frail, etc. I listen to a lot of that older shit too like government issue, black flag, SSD, etc and I like this stuff a lot.

eh so just check em out though they're pretty good.

Here's some myspace links if you're into that:

http://www.myspace.com/gaugemeansnothing

http://www.myspace.com/nitromegaprayer

boredoms, hanatarashi..

+rep for mentioning my favorite band.

i thought discordance axis was from new england somewhere.. just had an asian singer? fucking amazing band either way.

i'm gonna sound like an idiot but i haven't found any info anyplace else

story: my friend went to japan, brought back a FLOW album.

i guess they're j-rock, but i want more info.

i think the album i have is their greatest hits or something.

anyone have any other info about the band?

(in english)

Bump...missed this thread...

-Systematic Death (they'll be playing in May at the Knitting Factory with AMerican bands: Government Warning, Tragedy, and a band called Disnihil...I think). You'll probably dig GW since they are rooted in that old school sound.

-second Melt Banana

yeah.

Wait Systematic Death Slaughter?!?!

I need to see.

I don't really like japanese street punk or oi too much. I love Japanese Crasher Crust(the clothing style is amazing with this shit), D-beat, Power Violence, Burning Spirit Hardcore, and just that noisy punk shit like Gai and Confuse... I used to be super elitest with that shit...

And Shikabane. I love Shikabane.