the wire

• 8 months later...

Bringing this back from the dead but I've been rewatching this with a buddy of mine. Notice a lot more stuff the second time through. The scene where Slim Charles rolls past the corner to tell Bodie about Lil Kevin is fantastic. Poot leaves, then slim rolls out and the camera just pans backwards showing Bodie all alone at his corner. Fuck I love this show.

I've been re-watching the series and sizing shit up as i go along. The biggest discovery is realized how overrated Season 3 is. It's crazy b/c there's so much major shit that happens with the storyline (rise of Carchetti, death of Stringer/Barksdale crew, rise of Marlo, Hamsterdam, BPD Ops shake up, lotta crazy shit) but the season still feels kinda dull.

Season 2 established itself as the best of the series, bar none.

Top 5 line of the series that I didnt pick up the first go-round... Bunk referring to Landsman as a "John Goodman off his diet lookin mothafucka"

ok fine everyone was great

my favorites were bunk, omar, prop joe, lester, bodie, cutty, brother moves on (apparently its brother mouzone), weebay, D, dukie, etc. etc. etc. i could go on for days

landsman and sabotka aren't even close though

I watched this doc on avon barksdale.

the doc was fucking horrible, but dude is mad invincible. He only has one leg and he's been shot maaad times.

It was also cool seeing pretty much everybody again when I watched through Oz.

The montage at the end of Season 2 was great.

Frank Sobotka was an absolute hero.

season 2 had the best drama, some depressing stuff; whereas season 3 had the fireworks. Sseason 4 is my favourite probably, in view of the entire run.

This shit is gospel right here.

If more people watched (which they didnt until it was too late) there would have been more then 4 seasons.

That's just complete bullshit. The brevity of the show adds to its impact, and David Simon knew that. He understood when penning out the series that he'd have 5 season's to work with highlighting the different facets of the American city (drug trade, death of blue collar workers, political reform, public education, media). The popularity of the show had nothing to do with its demise, it was David Simon staying true to his game and not wanting to stretch the stories thin by doing 7 or 8 seasons.

Simon said the reason they didn't do a 6th season is because the only new storyline he could think of was about the hispanics in baltimore and he didn't feel comfortable writing that. Had no one on his team with good experience or knowledge on the subject so he ended it.