the wire

^^i always thought brother mauzone was a fucking ridiculously stupid and far-fetched character, but bunny colvin is fiercely underrated. prez and frank sabotka definitely hold down the "best white characters on the wire" list.

In an interview, David Simon was asked about the reaction (it was less than positive) from the Nation Of Islam to that character and his response was "we never said he was a member".

Following this logic, I really enjoyed the character. He was anti-typical of the entire Barksdale organization and it was clear that his presence came at a cost and was a matter of business. I always assumed that he was introduced through the connection in New York, but I like how it was never really clear. Also he was a major catalyst in Stringers betrayal to Avon.

He reminded me of Harvey Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction in the sense that he was this little guy who got shit done with style.

Also on another note, his crimey who was always fucking up the magazine order was played by the real DeAndre McCullough from The Corner

In an interview, David Simon was asked about the reaction (it was less than positive) from the Nation Of Islam to that character and his response was "we never said he was a member".

Following this logic, I really enjoyed the character. He was anti-typical of the entire Barksdale organization and it was clear that his presence came at a cost and was a matter of business. I always assumed that he was introduced through the connection in New York, but I like how it was never really clear. Also he was a major catalyst in Stringers betrayal to Avon.

He reminded me of Harvey Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction in the sense that he was this little guy who got shit done with style.

Also on another note, his crimey who was always fucking up the magazine order was played by the real DeAndre McCullough from The Corner

what i love about the wire is that i feel any of the characters on the show really could have existed in real life (especially the dock workers), but i never believed brother mauzone at all. he shoots cheese w/ a rubber bullet in front of his boys and is supposed to invoke so much fear that no one pulls out on him or shoots him in the back as he walks away? muscle that reads harper's and the economist? he's supposedly this magical muscle and omar's able to bust into his motel room by creeping on mauzone's muscle w/ a blackjack? i duno man... to each his own i suppose.

I've never met a well mannered, highly educated, bow tie wearing, enforcer for hire in real life but it seems to me to be no less probable then a gay, easily identifiable, bulletproof vest and shot gun wielding, stick up man not being got, caught up with the germ, or locked up for real years in a 5yr period. I mean the scene where he just gets the stash cause he was walking to get honey nut and some newps in his pajamas, while one of my favorites, wasnt believable even for his character. I think what works for Omar, works for Mauzone, the name and legend ring out so people respect/fear them. Prop Joe cautioning Cheese afterward about retaliation is evidence of this.

Cheese's character at that point was still seen as kind of young and underdeveloped. It was believable because of that. Another, more established character it would have been a different story. Once more, Cheese was selling in the Towers at that point and being from the Eastside, its believable that he or his crew would be less likely to try something given their location and that the shooter was claiming to work for Avon (who at that point still had control of the Towers as far as the streets were concerned).

The way they made Lamar out to be inept with the bungling of the magazines, made it seem plausible for him to be so quickly dispatched. I never really saw him as much of the muscle, more as his personal assistant if you will. Similarly, I felt the same way with the ease with which Brandon was snatched up from the store and tortured/murdered. While they made him out to be tough after the fact, everything leading up to that showed him as young and inexperienced when compared to Omar.

• 3 weeks later...

man i didnt visit this thread till now, wire is so dope. anyone catch generation kill, pretty damn good as well but the characters aren't as memorable (with a few exceptions).

I got love for Avon, seems not alot of people mention him ever.

this is one of my favorite dialogues from season 1

xyg_v7Vxo4A

the nigga that invented them things is still workin for regular wage sittin in the basement tryin to think of some way to make the fries taste better or some shit

man i didnt visit this thread till now, wire is so dope. anyone catch generation kill, pretty damn good as well but the characters aren't as memorable (with a few exceptions).

I got love for Avon, seems not alot of people mention him ever.

my girlfriend and i are planning to name our dog avon barksdale (if we ever get one).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sean P is ill, an OG and he will never fall off. He doesn't even care about what you think, b/c when your favorite rapper was writing rhymes lying about doing shit he was out actually doing it.