ugly/overrated supergays

cheapmuthafukr

ha

when i was 16, this was 1994, i went to baltimore with a couple of friends, arriving there at about 2:30 AM-----we had no idea where we were going and just wandered around. then we saw some homeless (?) dude sitting on the steps under a neon cross. he was using a lead pipe as a cane. he introduced himself as "tony the warrior" and was kind enough to show us to a sandwich shop where we could buy him a sandwich as payment for his services as tourguide. when some ne'r-do-wells approached, he'd shake the lead pipe and say "they're mine".

i dunno. it was a long, scary night. i'm not sure how we shook tony.

my band played down there on tour and we played the sidebar. Place was a shithole. But the best part was that we didn't wanna make the 3-4 hour drive down to VA where we were playing the next day, and we tried to find a cheaper hotel under $100. Only places we found were by the hour....so we just drove.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember an editorial article written by someone from the san francisco chronicle. this was when "the wire" and "arrested development" had been cancelled. anyways, he was lamenting how the two best shows on tv were taken off the air because they didn't dumb down for ratings.

in protest, for his picture, he wore an orange prison jumpsuit and a doo-rag. he was a middle-aged white dude, probably in his 50s. that made me smile.

there's someone at work with the last name mcnulty. i call him "detective mcnulty" even though he has 0% of his namesake's dopeness. he just doesn't get the irony.

the beautiful thing about the wire is that it's a story about the hood (i know i'm grossly oversimplifying the series) that gets love and respect from actual people in the hood AND outside the hood.

i have a friend who was a big time dealer in baltimore back in the 80s. he is incredibly well-educated and often eloquent. superbly intelligent and famously disciplined. but he is 100% hood. reminds me a lot of stringer bell.

the one bad thing about season 2 was that it was the low point of acting for the show (if it had a low point). some of the guys they got to play the dock worker were pretty terrible actors, as well as the woman who played the port security cop. but i also like how season 2 was the hardest drinking season...my girlfriend was saying that if you go to bars down by the waterfront in baltimore they all FEEL damp, and she was impressed at how well they portray the bars in the show.

i remember an editorial article written by someone from the san francisco chronicle. this was when "the wire" and "arrested development" had been cancelled. anyways, he was lamenting how the two best shows on tv were taken off the air because they didn't dumb down for ratings.

in protest, for his picture, he wore an orange prison jumpsuit and a doo-rag. he was a middle-aged white dude, probably in his 50s. that made me smile.

there's someone at work with the last name mcnulty. i call him "detective mcnulty" even though he has 0% of his namesake's dopeness. he just doesn't get the irony.

the beautiful thing about the wire is that it's a story about the hood (i know i'm grossly oversimplifying the series) that gets love and respect from actual people in the hood AND outside the hood.

i have a friend who was a big time dealer in baltimore back in the 80s. he is incredibly well-educated and often eloquent. superbly intelligent and famously disciplined. but he is 100% hood. reminds me a lot of stringer bell.

i was reading that they almost didn't make season 4.but the writers had already written most of the season. The creator actually said that he would put out season 4 as a book if HBO backed down, which thankfully they didn't. I'm really happy people watch this show. I posted a thread a while back and only a handful of people responded leading me to believe we were a minority on this board. And i completly agree with the bolded statement i made from your quote miz. You certainly could watch every season individually, save season 2, but it's the growth of characters from seasons 1-4 that make you really get into it. ie. Fucking Bodie. Also what i like is how each season so far has taken you through the eyes of a different spectrum. Season 1 the dealers, 2 the dock workers, 3 the cops, and 4 the kids. It really is stepping up the game for television and it kind of irks me when people say a show like 24 is the best written show on TV. 24's a good show, the 1st 2 seasons are for me worth watching, but the believablity of the same shit happening to the same guy once a year for 6 years is hard for me to swallow.

the one bad thing about season 2 was that it was the low point of acting for the show (if it had a low point). some of the guys they got to play the dock worker were pretty terrible actors, as well as the woman who played the port security cop. but i also like how season 2 was the hardest drinking season...my girlfriend was saying that if you go to bars down by the waterfront in baltimore they all FEEL damp, and she was impressed at how well they portray the bars in the show.

agreed completly

I love how this thread is now about the wire

Season 1 the dealers, 2 the dock workers, 3 the cops, and 4 the kids.

i would agree but with a twist, i'd say you could say each season is about a part of the city: 1 = The Projects, 2 = The Waterfront, 3 = Downtown (with stringer going for the condos and a corrupt city hall), 4 = The Schools.

i don't know anyone who after watching The Wire doesn't say it's the best thing on tv.

I Just finished season one, and those cocksuckers at my blockbuster dont have any other seasons. I'm on fiend right now! ....My roomate says disc one should come from Netflix in a few days though so i'll hold tight for that.

Disapointed to hear that season two isnt as good though. I got into the Wire when a friend and I smoked a spliff and he threw it on "on demand". Turns out it was the Last episode of the fourth season! By the time I realized, it was too late, so I finished it. Never had a TV show affected me in quite the same way.

Most of us prolly watched the Sopranos too, but in retrospect, one of the frustrating things about that show is though it strives to be intelligent and original (and suceeds alot of the time) it still subscribes to the American Mafiosi mythology. It also began to seem formulaic, and I stopped watching mid way through the season with Steve Buscemi.

The Wire succeeds in so many ways that other shows fail. and I'm glad to see shit like this on television in this day and age. It's unfortuanate that Having seen season 4's final show, I know some pretty major shit that goes down ahead of schedule, but like poly said, it's the development of the characters themselves that makes it interesting.

i would agree but with a twist, i'd say you could say each season is about a part of the city: 1 = The Projects, 2 = The Waterfront, 3 = Downtown (with stringer going for the condos and a corrupt city hall), 4 = The Schools.

i don't know anyone who after watching The Wire doesn't say it's the best thing on tv.

interesting take. I never even thought about it geographically...very nice.

I Just finished season one, and those cocksuckers at my blockbuster dont have any other seasons. I'm on fiend right now! ....My roomate says disc one should come from Netflix in a few days though so i'll hold tight for that.

Disapointed to hear that season two isnt as good though. I got into the Wire when a friend and I smoked a spliff and he threw it on "on demand". Turns out it was the Last episode of the fourth season! By the time I realized, it was too late, so I finished it. Never had a TV show affected me in quite the same way.

Most of us prolly watched the Sopranos too, but in retrospect, one of the frustrating things about that show is though it strives to be intelligent and original (and suceeds alot of the time) it still subscribes to the American Mafiosi mythology. It also began to seem formulaic, and I stopped watching mid way through the season with Steve Buscemi.

The Wire succeeds in so many ways that other shows fail. and I'm glad to see shit like this on television in this day and age. It's unfortuanate that Having seen season 4's final show, I know some pretty major shit that goes down ahead of schedule, but like poly said, it's the development of the characters themselves that makes it interesting.

you'll still love it. I started with the 4th season and went backwards. It's good cuz you know who the more recent dudes are at least. Season 4 is tops in my book.

ha

when i was 16, this was 1994, i went to baltimore with a couple of friends, arriving there at about 2:30 AM-----we had no idea where we were going and just wandered around. then we saw some homeless (?) dude sitting on the steps under a neon cross. he was using a lead pipe as a cane. he introduced himself as "tony the warrior" and was kind enough to show us to a sandwich shop where we could buy him a sandwich as payment for his services as tourguide. when some ne'r-do-wells approached, he'd shake the lead pipe and say "they're mine".

i dunno. it was a long, scary night. i'm not sure how we shook tony.

you got off easy.... Baltimore is a gritty fuckin city. I'm glad i'm back in the burbs. A few yers ago I ended up living a few blocks from were they shot a lot of the wire. Where every other house is borded up and converted into "abandominiums" for the local junkies... Nice neighborhood. good schools etc....

hamsterdam was the shit .. for that small period of time they did have peace ..

ed burns (the co-creator) was on "fresh air" a long while back and as much as i hate "fresh air" for being the radio version of Charlie Rose i listened because it was about The Wire...anyway, ed burns was a cop and then a public school teacher in Baltimore before co-creating the show, and he says he's never had as much street cred with the dealers there as he does now after making the wire. He also said they made up the word "hamsterdam"... but that some cop in the 90's did try a free-zone for a while.

yeah, i read a great interview with ed burns where he was talking about the inspiration for hamsterdam. hamsterdam is such a funny word, man.

anyways, cops in nyc have always set up free zones, whether it is for drugs or illegal merchandise. the relationship between the cops and the hood is a very dynamic form of hegemony...

yeah, i read a great interview with ed burns where he was talking about the inspiration for hamsterdam. hamsterdam is such a funny word, man.

anyways, cops in nyc have always set up free zones, whether it is for drugs or illegal merchandise. the relationship between the cops and the hood is a very dynamic form of hegemony...

now that i think about it, yeah, free zones aren't really that uncommon are they? they have em in philly too.

there was a huge bootleg clothing free zone on 27th street a few years back. a couple huge buildings were converted into a massive bootleg market. cops directed traffic outside. maybe a year or so later, bloomberg shut them down and millions of $$$ of goods were seized. similar to what happened to hamsterdam.

cops are often bought off to turn a blind eye to certain activities.

ed burns (the co-creator) was on "fresh air" a long while back and as much as i hate "fresh air" for being the radio version of Charlie Rose i listened because it was about The Wire...anyway, ed burns was a cop and then a public school teacher in Baltimore before co-creating the show, and he says he's never had as much street cred with the dealers there as he does now after making the wire. He also said they made up the word "hamsterdam"... but that some cop in the 90's did try a free-zone for a while.

terry gross > five thousand charlie roses.

What's wrong with Charlie Rose? I don't follow his program regularly but I liked some of his interviews. Just curious as to why folks here don't like him all that much, maybe someone can fill me in?

nothing's wrong with charlie rose. but terry gross is a shining beacon of sweetness and light.

What's wrong with Charlie Rose? I don't follow his program regularly but I liked some of his interviews. Just curious as to why folks here don't like him all that much, maybe someone can fill me in?

he verbally masturbates every guest he has on. sure he interviews some interesting people, but that's only enough to make him the thinking man's james lipton IMO.

Overrated: djrajio.

The gods feel he's some kinda metro-sexual playboy and his smart ass comments annoy the shit out of us..

his comments are just honest. nothing wrong with that. his wardrobe makes that of most sufu obsolete.