Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

echo and the bunnymen are a post punk band. this genre is kind of a catch all, because it describes most accurately a point in time rather than pinning down a particular sound, although it is definitely easy to tell what qualifies as post punk and what doesnt. they featured mostly live drums, although that was augmented by a drum machine, and their synth work was usually second to the interplay between the guitars and ian mculloch's voice.

new order started off playing post punk that was extremely similar to their joy division sound. but then gillian came aboard, and they introduced an electronic dance influence that came primarily from house music and early techno. it is hard to talk about new order and other bands like them because theyre singularly responsible for creating their sound. we're talking a lot about bands that broke the mold and played with boundaries, so defining them is difficult. to me, new order really shone and really should be recognized for popularizing electronic dance music to rock crowds; what's going to top Blue Monday? who really likes Movement more than Power, Corruption, and Lies?

all of the genres we're touching on are some of my favorite, so apologies if i sound like a zealot.

as far as a good primer on all this, it is pretty difficult to find a place that will educate you about all of these different strands efficiently.

the way i see things evolve is you have the post punk movement in england during the early 80s, and you have basically the aftermath of punk rock-- people who were just over the nihilism and the lack of musicianship that was inherent in early british punk rock. in germany you have krautrock and neue deutsche welle movements experimenting with new tools, synthesizers, and cobbling together the sounds that would eventually trickle out into the world and influence many post punk bands to shift into what became known officially as new wave. [for instance, modern english used to be a post punk band. after hearing a lot of german new wave groups, they went on to release songs like their hit single 'melt with you']

you still have post punk, you have this new development of british new wave, and you have bands straddling the fence. around this time [1983-onwards] you also get the rise of british goth music, which at this point was still closely hewn to post punk and didnt yet feature a lot of synthesizer, which would go on to be a heavy influence in 2nd wave [late 80s and onwards] goth music.

new wave, by the way, originally referred to punk bands that shifted their sound from being less noisy and abrasive to more poppy and softer edged. post punk, at least in the 80s, referred more to the darker, more 'gothy' bands of the time, such as bauhaus and the chameleons, or even the sound or the psychadelic furs.

you forgot to mention that even martin hannett used to produce OMD motherfucker!

It's so tough to really describe all of this stuff as post punk because a lot of those bands regarded as post-punk were around and recording at the same time at the height of the punk movement.

Post punk is an even dumber name for a genre than emo, and it's classification harder. According to OMC, the darker stuff was considered post punk, but PiL was for me the definitive post punk band (whether it be because it was John Lydon's band or otherwise) and I wouldn't consider them really "dark" or "goth"...

Personally i find it much easier to say a band like Echo or like the Cure or so, just new wave. The cure being especially hard to classify because they re-invented themselves so many times.

as far as topping Blue Monday, I thought Bizzare Love Triangle did that. Well, at least outside a club.....

Guest doubletap
Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music

this is retarded, how does house fit into this?

don't know if this has already been mentioned, but techno is where its at.

Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave is dead.

Guest doubletap
Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music

Guest jmatsu

^mod's delete this thread just cause doubletap thinks that these genres are "dead."

go start a techno thread or something...

Guest jmatsu

^mod's delete this thread just cause doubletap thinks that these genres are "dead."

Guest doubletap

lame...

can I talk about house in this thread then, since the title allows it...

I just got back from seeing Chris Fortier and it was sick.

Guest doubletap

lame...

can I talk about house in this thread then, since the title allows it...

I just got back from seeing Chris Fortier and it was sick.

echo and the bunnymen are a post punk band. this genre is kind of a catch all, because it describes most accurately a point in time rather than pinning down a particular sound, although it is definitely easy to tell what qualifies as post punk and what doesnt. they featured mostly live drums, although that was augmented by a drum machine, and their synth work was usually second to the interplay between the guitars and ian mculloch's voice.

new order started off playing post punk that was extremely similar to their joy division sound. but then gillian came aboard, and they introduced an electronic dance influence that came primarily from house music and early techno. it is hard to talk about new order and other bands like them because theyre singularly responsible for creating their sound. we're talking a lot about bands that broke the mold and played with boundaries, so defining them is difficult. to me, new order really shone and really should be recognized for popularizing electronic dance music to rock crowds; what's going to top Blue Monday? who really likes Movement more than Power, Corruption, and Lies?

all of the genres we're touching on are some of my favorite, so apologies if i sound like a zealot.

as far as a good primer on all this, it is pretty difficult to find a place that will educate you about all of these different strands efficiently.

the way i see things evolve is you have the post punk movement in england during the early 80s, and you have basically the aftermath of punk rock-- people who were just over the nihilism and the lack of musicianship that was inherent in early british punk rock. in germany you have krautrock and neue deutsche welle movements experimenting with new tools, synthesizers, and cobbling together the sounds that would eventually trickle out into the world and influence many post punk bands to shift into what became known officially as new wave. [for instance, modern english used to be a post punk band. after hearing a lot of german new wave groups, they went on to release songs like their hit single 'melt with you']

you still have post punk, you have this new development of british new wave, and you have bands straddling the fence. around this time [1983-onwards] you also get the rise of british goth music, which at this point was still closely hewn to post punk and didnt yet feature a lot of synthesizer, which would go on to be a heavy influence in 2nd wave [late 80s and onwards] goth music.

new wave, by the way, originally referred to punk bands that shifted their sound from being less noisy and abrasive to more poppy and softer edged. post punk, at least in the 80s, referred more to the darker, more 'gothy' bands of the time, such as bauhaus and the chameleons, or even the sound or the psychadelic furs.

Ya but post punk was also stuff like the pixies and sonic youth, 2 of my favorite bands ever, who certainly aren't dark or "goth".

Ya but post punk was also stuff like the pixies and sonic youth, 2 of my favorite bands ever, who certainly aren't dark or "goth".

true sonic youth came after punk, but they're considered part of the new york "no-wave" scene. pixies, though distinctly alternative rock, have a lot of gothic influences. now thats not to say goth music, but they are informed with a sense of irony, macabre analogies, and a very dark atmosphere to their music. if "gouge away" isn't goth-sounding, i dunno what is.

true sonic youth came after punk, but they're considered part of the new york "no-wave" scene. pixies, though distinctly alternative rock, have a lot of gothic influences. now thats not to say goth music, but they are informed with a sense of irony, macabre analogies, and a very dark atmosphere to their music. if "gouge away" isn't goth-sounding, i dunno what is.

tapping this out on my fone, long train ride...

PiL def qualify as a post punk band theyre probably one of the best frames of reference for post punk a lot of the thing with post punk when the term was originally conceived of was used to describe bands like PiL that were influenced by dub and new production techniques [martin, OMD, OMC, rah rah!] and bringing that together with

trad. rock/punk attitude/sound

poly is spot on though, it is the dumbest of genre names because a. it was around during the time of what it claimed to come after and b. the parameters are really too fluid.

the wiki page on post punk music isnt too bad, check it out...

sonic youth grew out of the nyc no wave scene and calling them post punk just because they were influenced by punk and came in on the heels of the new york punk movement is kind of silly. we could also consider them post hardcore by your logic, since all the band members besides kim had played and toured with hardcore bands.

calling the pixies post punk is also a gross over-generalization... lets also call them post surf, since frank black has repeatedly talked about how surf rock was one of his greatest influences. [almost as great as gawfff muzik.. SUBBACULTCHA!]

WHAT DOES THIS THREAD HAVE TO DO WITH HOUSE, BESIDES FRENCH HOUSE FORMING A HUGE PART OF THE FOUNDATION FOR THE SCENE

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT, BESIDES DISCOHOUSE STILL BEING HUGE ON

THE DANCEFLOOR, BESIDES DAFT PUNK PLAYING HOUSE, ETC ETC ETC.

servo, i'm sure you've seen it, but how do you like this d.a.n.c.e tee?

yes or no? for design alone, no justice reference...

scale250375svgshirt_58545.png

you sure? the first set was exclusive to collette... (wesoldout.com whatever you want to call it)

The first sets were exclusive to both collette's online shop and wesoldout, and the newer shirts are being sold through Sixpack and Revolver. This one was shown in Revolver's collection a while back, but I'm pretty sure it's sold out.

i don't mean to sidetrack the sidetracking.

here's a new mine of mine.

prolly my favorite i've ever done.

thought i'd give it to ya'll before i throw it up on my blog.

bang this out!

tracklist as follows (the tracklist in the comments of the file is incomplete):

enjoy!

1. Digitalism - Idealism (A-Track Remix)
  2. Example - So Many Roads (Herve Remix)
  3. Timbaland - Miscommunication (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)
  4. Sohodolls - Trash The Rental (Crystal Castles Remix) (Savile Edit)
  5. Boyz Noize - Let's Buy Happiness
  6. Gameboy/Gamegirl - Sweaty Wet Dirty Damp (G.L.O.V.E.S Remix)
  7. Goose - Black Gloves (The Bloody Beetroots Remix)
  8. Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse - Valerie (Count Of Monte Cristo & Sinden Remix)
  9. Apache Beat - Tropics (G.L.O.V.E.S. Remix)
  10. Hot Chip - Shake VS. Apache Beat - Tropics (G.L.O.V.E.S. Remix) (Savile Edit)
  11. Dave Nada - Phat Bottom (Savile Edit) VS. Apache Beat - Tropes (G.L.O.V.E.S. Remix)
  12. Soulja Boy - Crank Dat (Dave Nada Remix) VS. (Benzi + Rashad Juke Remix)
  13. VNDLSM - UH OH
  14. Melomanics - Get You (Mr. Myagi Remix)
  15. LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous (Soulwax Remix)
  16. Interpol - Heinrich Maneuver (Paul Epworth Remix) VS. LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous (Soulwax Remix) (Savile Edit) VS. Hostage - I'm High
  17. Gingy - Rios For MVP (VNDLSM KicksorSnares Swamp DJ Edit)
  18. Sebastian - Untitled (Ryan Justin Edit) (Savile Dribble Edit) VS. Original

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1hvmwc

that soulja boi drop out of nowhere was really nice.

if you dig dolly parton, and you should, and you dig space disco, you

need this song.11 minute epic edit of jolene... you can just taste the drugged

up baia dancefloor with this one. oh yes.

Peter Visti - Dolly

that soulja boi drop out of nowhere was really nice.

if you dig dolly parton, and you should, and you dig space disco, you

need this song.11 minute epic edit of jolene... you can just taste the drugged

up baia dancefloor with this one. oh yes.

Peter Visti - Dolly

That hits the spot, right there.

Just gotted started on the mix and for a second there I thought you were some sort of crazy genius until I realized I was actually listening to a song in the background of some tabbed page and you didn't actually have the strangest sense of beat-matching I'd ever heard.

I donno, I stopped following blog electro shit a bit ago, I only have like 10 tracks from here.

I think you really need to work on your mixing skills- you did this on decks right?; not in live or anything?

edit; the Soulja Boy drop was pretty nice though