Cutting Down My Wardrobe

I live away from my primary residence for school and I just took all of my clothes home except for a few. I like the idea of ownly wearing a few quality pieces and having an empty cubpoard.

I like the idea of having a signature look so during the week I only have a very slim wardrobe to choose from. The weekends are another story)

Anyone done somethign like this? What do you think of the idea. I like the simplicity in it and try to only have classic things.

I kept:

Band of Outsiders White Oxford

Armani Black Dress Shirt

APC Jeans

Marc Jacobs Black Pants

Black Cashmere V Neck Sweater

A Spruce Zip Up

5 White Ts

1 Black T

A Velvet Etro Blazer

Merona Cashmere/Wool Navy Peacoat

A Boss Scarf

Zenga Chelsea Boots

and some chucks to be replaced with Common Projects if I can find a good price.

May want to replace the blazer with a plain black one and get some slim raw black denim, then i will have everything I need.

I like opening my cupboard and seeing it empty

i like that idea, what you have sounds like a good collection to work around.

being at school, my wardrobe is more or less adhering to a similar approach...especially now that its winter, i just rotate a few pairs of jeans and wear the same sweaters every day. No fuss, no thought, good to go.

Patrizio Bertelli, the devil CEO of Prada actually said something a while back that I admire...it was something along the lines of "The ultimate luxury would be to own nothing." Tomas Maier, Bottega Veneta's creative director has said similar statements, saying that "to own very little is a luxury, to own a lot is vulgar" or something like that.

i just moved and that's close to what i have, which is

2 pairs of jeans

1 pair of 'pants'

1 black blazer

1 black peacoat

4 heather tshirts

4 heather v neck tshirts

1 zip up hoodie (a rawkus hoodie, it's xxxxxxxxxxl but it was the only one i could find. heh)

1 crewneck sweater

1 turtleneck sweater

1 v neck sweater

stan smiths

plus what i sleep in, 4 pairs of sweatpants and a bunch of old tshirts. the only things that i haven't shipped yet are a box of tshirts (non blank ones), and even then there are only half a dozen or so.

I like this idea too and have been doing something similar. I left a lot of my things at home, while I live up at school.

But I would really like to sell the things that I don't wear much. It's a hassle though because my family knows I'm into clothing and every year during the holidays they always get me stuff that I don't care for and I'll never wear ..

I like this idea too and have been doing something similar. I left a lot of my things at home, while I live up at school.

But I would really like to sell the things that I don't wear much. It's a hassle though because my family knows I'm into clothing and every year during the holidays they always get me stuff that I don't care for and I'll never wear ..

yeah i feel you on that (2nd paragraph). I kinda wanna sell all my jeans except for 1 or 2 pairs i'll be wearing for a good time...but somehow i just can't get myself to let go even if i've moved on.

6 t-shirts? You must do laundry like its going out of style.

Ive gotta have at least 3 weeks worth of t-shirts, boxers, and socks. Other then that i should probably follow your advice. Ive made alot of impulse purchases that i wish i could take back and put towards something i mulled over. Oh well, such is life.

With such a small wardrobe wouldnt you have to wash/dry clean your garments a lot more often? That's a hassle and the cost will add up.

nope, what sendkyl just said sums it all up i think. you let the clothes wear on you, you become the garment, if i may say a cliche..."builds character."

let 'em get filthy, crumpled, whatever...then again maybe i just like to romanticize the idea of storied clothing. if you can not wash the jeans you wear everyday, you can apply the same shit to all your other clothes.

ditto

i'm in the process of buying some quality key pieces and getting rid of a whole lot of shit.

don't really do laundry either. just tees/underwear/socks. I have enough laundry to do with workout/squash clothes every day.

i'm actually trying to phase myself OUT of keeping with fashion and just going all classic..... but thats much easier said than done.

ditto

i'm in the process of buying some quality key pieces and getting rid of a whole lot of shit.

don't really do laundry either. just tees/underwear/socks. I have enough laundry to do with workout/squash clothes every day.

i'm actually trying to phase myself OUT of keeping with fashion and just going all classic..... but thats much easier said than done.

Any interest in selling your Noah coat to me?

This threads perfect timing, I'm going on a study abroad in 2 months, I'll be gone for a year, but I'm going to try and only take ... a big duffle bag, and a backpack worth of stuff with me. I've been trying to figure out if, with my wearing habits, it's possible or not.

i like to have fresh t-shirts, underwear and socks. needs to be laundered after each wear...

and i really need to get rid of shit too. simplify. i think i have about 10 pairs of jeans. who needs 10 pairs of friggen jeans?!?

I would love to cut done on my wardrobe, but what to do with all the stuff? Selling it is a hassle, and it feels stupid just throwing it away. I never seem to find the "perfect" things to wear like every day either, apart from jeans... But on the other hand, variation is nice, and its fun to put together different looks.

I like diversity and having a wide range of things to wear.

I like to have a small number of key pieces but to have different "categories" where this happens (i.e. deconstructivist, trad american workwear, dressy, etc.). So basically not a lot of redundancy caused by items that cover the same function (three velvet blazers) but still a versatile wardrobe due to the different categories. The key point here is "like", I have way to much stuff I need to get rid off.

this thread is some if the largest pile of bullshit I've come across on this forum.

it's like "I don't want materialistic things to be an influence in my life" and then you sell/throw away clothes to feel better, HELLO? You're still using things to change how you feel, just in the opposite way.

If having a lot of stuff messes you up then I'd say you have bigger problems than a too small wardrobe. You guys are on some self-betraying buddhist crap. Having a lot of jeans does NOT make me feel bad and it shouldnt make you either.