Hair Products

Anton

i used to use tigi bedhead wax but it weighed my hair down and made it look shiny.

right now i just wash my hair, blowdry/comb, then pick it up and use hairspray to get it to be a bit more voluminous and interesting.

where can you get that gatsby stuff at? i've never heard of it

gatsby is by some jap company

can usually find on ebay

yup just found. 99 cents and $7 shipping - still cheaper than the tigi stuff. nice.

whigggad7.th.jpg

need to do something more interesting

edit: fucked with it a bit today. used tigi wax, hairspray.

faaako6.th.jpg

opinions? i love the japanese dude hair. i wish i could pull it off.

ashgromnies, is your hair cut for the style you want to achieve?

The cut of your hair helps styling way more than any product can, so if you want a Japanese hairstyle, you should head to a salon and get your hair cut according to that style.

gatsby is by some jap company

can usually find on ebay

ashgrommies, is your hair cut for the style you want to achieve?

The cut of your hair helps styling way more than any product can, so if you want a Japanese hairstyle, you should head to a salon and get your hair cut according to that style.

My hair is lengthy on the sides, with razor-cut shorter layers on the top in a fauxhawk style.

No, I meant, if you want to pull off a specific J-style, get your hair cut for specifically that style, instead of trying to make it work with what your hair is like normally.

I tried it, and it looked horrible.

After a haircut, it looks half-decent.

I have semi-thick hair. It gets a bit wavy when it's short. What gatsby product do you think I should use to make a kind of messy matte look? I need something that is storng enough to hold the hair up, but not to harden. I'd like to be able to move it around during the day a bit too. Any suggestions?

edit: doesnt have to be a gatsby product. Im using bedhead manipulator, but it dries out my hair very quickly.

No one has ever tried the Gatsby "Air Rise" ? :confused:

I recently purchased this off ebay and realised I should have gotten the "Grunge Matte" which seems hugely popular. Oh well, i'll give it a try when I get it and give you guys a review.

Also, is it normal these days for a guy to take a picture to a hair salon and ask for that cut/color ? I'm contemplating doing something like that for my next cut.

Cheers

just dont shower ...ever.

although i get what you're saying, i disagree...

if you don't shower > hair becomes dirty, appears nasty, curls, becomes dreadlocks... etc.

also, that wouldn't give the nice matte finish we're looking for because there'd still be a continuous production of oils.

It also helps if you get your hair cut by someone familiar with "Japanese" hairstyles. They do a lot of razoring and texturizing, which thins out the hair and adds dimension. Most hairdressers here have assumptions about hair that don't translate into getting that Japanese look. There's also a lot of perming going on, which I won't try. But that certainly does bring hair sculpting to a whole different level.

Thats it. I think higher end places worldwide generally know how to texturise, layer, razor and cut chunks out of your hair to make shit more 3D these days. I`m whiter than white and people mainly think im asian coz i pay more than $50 for a haircut done right. Not that I wanna look asian, I just want a good haircut and happens that Asians got on good haircuts before most people.

btw asian hair isnt always dead straight, a lot of Jap guys I knew got straight perms and of course texturised and razored cuts. Asian guys just try harder. Some of my jgirl friends couldnt believe aussie girls had their fringes cut one length the whole way along.

Those terms are exactly as they sound. Razoring is basically running a razor blade (looks like a metal comb, or just a blade) through the hair to thin it out. Layering makes the hair look kind of disconnected because its made of several layers. All these techniques add volume and texture to hair. Basically without doing this hair is difficult to manage and hair products aren't as effective - the cut is more important than product.

Anyone have comments on Euphoria salon? is it just as bad as Ulta? Here in Vegas, there's a small hair place in our tiny China town, think that'd be a better option?

although i get what you're saying, i disagree...

if you don't shower > hair becomes dirty, appears nasty, curls, becomes dreadlocks... etc.

also, that wouldn't give the nice matte finish we're looking for because there'd still be a continuous production of oils.

i just like it when you get to that point where yeah, it is dirty, but you can do absolutely anything to it w/o product. 2-3 days maybe without washing your hair gets you there. but then after that,, yeah, complete scuzage.

unless you wanna look like a complete skank ball, i would stay away from my advice.

....just puttin it on the table tho.

Those terms are exactly as they sound. Razoring is basically running a razor blade (looks like a metal comb, or just a blade) through the hair to thin it out. Layering makes the hair look kind of disconnected because its made of several layers. All these techniques add volume and texture to hair. Basically without doing this hair is difficult to manage and hair products aren't as effective - the cut is more important than product.

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me GiZMO :)

you still can have the old gatsby matt type wax with the black tube, but i still say the closest substitute to it that is the grey (grunge mat) moving rubber is a much better option. after going thru much research and testing im sure Mandom has their reason for coming up with these moving rubber series, a better and more refined want that is. so why go for an old product?

you still can have the old gatsby matt type wax with the black tube, but i still say the closest substitute to it that is the grey (grunge mat) moving rubber is a much better option. after going thru much research and testing im sure Mandom has their reason for coming up with these moving rubber series, a better and more refined want that is. so why go for an old product?

let's see... affinity to the past.

knowledge of the prior product...

belief in the prior product...

prior product might have arcuates and red tab.