How do you travel ?

AlanT

I was sitting in an airport yesterday on my way home when reading the latest issue of GQ brought to my attention how much of a pain in the ass it is travelling with work.

I was way too early for my flight, so I was standing about with a stupid holdall that I took with me as it was pretty small and (I thought) would fit everything I needed. I had a small stussy everyday bag that I use to carry my usual shit (wallet / ipod / camera / notebook / keys etc etc). Not only was I too hot as my peacoat wouldn't fit in my bag but I looked like it was my first time travelling standing about with so much crap around me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a bag / bags that can be used to carry essentials for going away for a few days. I'm starting to travel a lot more with my work, a few days here and there about Europe so it needs to be big enough to carry a few days worth of stuff, including a suit so it can't really be chucked into a holdall and maybe a seperate bag for my everyday stuff including a laptop which is not massively bulky.

I got myself really pissed off as the mag had the usual £1000 LV bags, which I wouldn't and cant afford to go anywhere near.

So come on, I know a lot of you guys travel, what do you use, got any tips for making the whole experience a lot easier......lets hear your stories.

I was sitting in an airport yesterday on my way home when reading the latest issue of GQ brought to my attention how much of a pain in the ass it is travelling with work.

I was way too early for my flight, so I was standing about with a stupid holdall that I took with me as it was pretty small and (I thought) would fit everything I needed. I had a small stussy everyday bag that I use to carry my usual shit (wallet / ipod / camera / notebook / keys etc etc). Not only was I too hot as my peacoat wouldn't fit in my bag but I looked like it was my first time travelling standing about with so much crap around me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a bag / bags that can be used to carry essentials for going away for a few days. I'm starting to travel a lot more with my work, a few days here and there about Europe so it needs to be big enough to carry a few days worth of stuff, including a suit so it can't really be chucked into a holdall and maybe a seperate bag for my everyday stuff including a laptop which is not massively bulky.

I got myself really pissed off as the mag had the usual £1000 LV bags, which I wouldn't and cant afford to go anywhere near.

So come on, I know a lot of you guys travel, what do you use, got any tips for making the whole experience a lot easier......lets hear your stories.

I used to be consultant for Ernst and Young and had to fly everywhere and I pretty much did what you are doing now. I avoided checking my luggage for the usual reasons and just packed light with a small suitcase with wheels that would fit in overhead and a small shoulder bag with my laptop, essentials etc. I would reccomend a less cumbersome coat, maybe a puffy type that can be rolled up tight and then strapped to the top of your suitcase with an elastic band. Dealing with a coat is the worst part.

what's always worked for me is a good quality simple duffel bag (filson makes nice ones, briggs & riley (cheaper and still nice details like leather straps, heavy zippers), tumi as well). I don't carry another bag, just keep all the travel essentials on the top/in side pockets. It's a bit risky, since if you end up on a small commuter jet and have to valet check your bag a tthe gate you need to scramble to get out the stuff you need, but i just hate having that extra bag.

plus i started packing a lot more strategically. Like if i need to bring a suit, i either wear it, or at the very least wear the jacket, as it avoids packing an item that A)is bulky and heavier, B)gets easily wrinkled

i travel to asia frequently. me and my brothers all own the same backpack, its a spire one (www.spireusa.com) it basically carries everything i can cram in there from ipod to camera to psp to laptop and jacket. i would use that for carry on. for the other stuff, i would just use this one bag. when i get home, i'll look at the brand, but it works real good to carry everything.

i travel to asia frequently. me and my brothers all own the same backpack, its a spire one (www.spireusa.com) it basically carries everything i can cram in there from ipod to camera to psp to laptop and jacket. i would use that for carry on. for the other stuff, i would just use this one bag. when i get home, i'll look at the brand, but it works real good to carry everything.

no backpacks for business travel.

start earning those miles... or carry a platinum amex so you can get into airport lounges. freq. flyer mile status also can help you get exit row seating (makes oversea flights much much more bearable) if you're not travelling business/first class.

travelling light is essential for an enjoyable/less stressful travel experience. i have come to prefer duffel bags over rolling luggages. i think they're much more managable, can fit more things (while keeping under the weight restriction), etc. i should probably get a filson...

yeah its easier to wear the heaviest stuff you're travelling with. learn how to layer- eliminates the need to bring a heavy coat if the place you're going to isn't freezing- and it allows you to bring less clothes since you can rewear a piece in a different way.

well for that purpose, i usually keep a kenneth cole bag with me to carry all my items. i got a nice laptop bag for 69.99 off of ebay a few months ago. i only let my carry-on have just the bare essentials that i need. if you have a huge peacoat, i don't think there's many carry on bags that lets you stuff all that in there and still fit it in the overhead compartment. i would just carry the jacket and when you're on the plane, simply ask the stewardess to hang it up for you. i would suggest getting a smaller rolling suitcase that can fit a suitbag that's folded in half. then you won't have to worry about baggage claim.

My last trip I was on Cunard's Queen Mary 2. I was on the Mediterranean Explorer that started in Southampton, England. It's the only way to go. The service was impeccable and the food is nothing less of a five star restaurant. Oh-- also the white glove afternoon tea rivals the Savoy or the Ritz Carlton. Air travel is well, can't compare.

If you only use a carry-on, how do you manage toiletries since the TSA doesn't allow liquids?

As for my wares, I use a set of Zero Halliburton aluminum luggage that is checked in.

Actually containers below 3 ounces (88 ml, or something like that) in a small plastic bag are ok. I always have the travell-sized stuff with me.

I've flown so many times since I was 6 that these days nothing about flying stresses me out... for short trips I just take my Tumi Business case which fits quite a lot of clothing + notebook + work documents and stuff. For longer trips I also take it and I take a "huge" duffel which I check in (still don't know what "the usual" reasons for not checking in luggage are).

start earning those miles... or carry a platinum amex so you can get into airport lounges. freq. flyer mile status also can help you get exit row seating (makes oversea flights much much more bearable) if you're not travelling business/first class.

travelling light is essential for an enjoyable/less stressful travel experience. i have come to prefer duffel bags over rolling luggages. i think they're much more managable, can fit more things (while keeping under the weight restriction), etc. i should probably get a filson...

yeah its easier to wear the heaviest stuff you're travelling with. learn how to layer- eliminates the need to bring a heavy coat if the place you're going to isn't freezing- and it allows you to bring less clothes since you can rewear a piece in a different way.

I'm pretty lucky in that my dad works for BA, so if I am flying longhaul I usually get upgraded to club / first for free, which also gets you into the lounges / spa's too.

Within the UK and shorthaul budget Europen airlines offer a classless system though so it's not normally an option here.

Most of northern Europe is freezing just now hence the heavy coat, i'll be able to leave it out and make the whole thing a lot easier come spring.

Actually containers below 3 ounces (88 ml, or something like that) in a small plastic bag are ok. I always have the travell-sized stuff with me.

I've flown so many times since I was 6 that these days nothing about flying stresses me out... for short trips I just take my Tumi Business case which fits quite a lot of clothing + notebook + work documents and stuff. For longer trips I also take it and I take a "huge" duffel which I check in (still don't know what "the usual" reasons for not checking in luggage are).

i think by "usual reasons" he means, not having to wait to check your bag, baggage claim, lost luggage, etc...

I agree with you about flying, if you do it enough and really simplify it's easy, not stressfull, and you'll never come off looking like some hick who's never been on a plane before.

as far as the liquid, the above is correct, you are allowed three ounce bottles in a plastic bag, which, if you travel a lot, you should already have (no use wasting space with the full size). Invest in a decent dop kit/bag, keep the plastic bag in there, and toss it in your carry-on. done. if they ask to check your liquid bag, you can just pull it out all at once. Even before the liquid issues, i always went this route. Just seems better to have all the toiletries in a neat dop kit rather than strewn about in the little pockets of a carry-on.

I have a variety of travel-sized toiletry items, but of course, it never fits into the toiletry kit--a true leather Dopp Kit--I have. I have to carry two--one for various items and the other for my shaving set which consists of a wooden bowl, badger brush, stand, extra razor blades, and old-fashioned safety razor. I don't even know if you can bring safety razor blades on an airplane; maybe some people kill themselves on airplanes.

Sometimes, I long for the days when you could still smoke on an airplane and all they did for security was check you boarding pass.

I always have to carry a Dell laptop bag when I travel, and I couple this with a small luggage carry bag which I can take with me anywhere.

This holds 3-4 days of clothes, amenities, etc. As I have to wear a suit at all times I don't need to carry one of those suit bags.

Suits me fine as I always get the hotel to launder my clothes.

I have a variety of travel-sized toiletry items, but of course, it never fits into the toiletry kit--a true leather Dopp Kit--I have. I have to carry two--one for various items and the other for my shaving set which consists of a wooden bowl, badger brush, stand, extra razor blades, and old-fashioned safety razor.

I would forgoe the elaborate shaving set for short business travel, but that's me. It seems like you are making work for yourself rather than simplifying.

Sometimes, I long for the days when you could still smoke on an airplane and all they did for security was check you boarding pass.

ummm... why? i flew Alitalia a few years back when they were the only remaining airline that allowed smoking. it was a horrible 8 hours to Rome. Even for a smoker i cannot imagine how this would be pleasant.

When I travel for less than 2 weeks, I only bring a Givenchy duffel bag. If you've read the "cutting down my wardrobe" thread you would know I dont wear many clothes so I just bring it all in the bag and throw my laptop in there. This way I don't have to check my bag and I don't feel like a tourists carrying a bunch of shit. If I need a suit I wear it on the plane and keep my jacket on.

If I'm going somewhere warm, I skip the jacket and just wear a warm sweater if its cold at home.