silly thing x mcdonalds

Parker669

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh the silly thing came out in HK in the last week of december while i was there. you guys have to keep in mind that mcdonald's doesn't have the perception in hong kong as it does in the U.S. in america, its some stupid dead end job. in HK, mcdonald's is a cool and hip place to work at and a place for kids to hang out. mcdonald's has done a good job marketing to the young demographic to enhance their image by working with people like red monkey, softhard, and now silly thing. everytime i'm in hong kong, i always make it a point to go to mcdonald's. the people there are nice and service is always friendly. plus the food tastes much better because the people put pride in what they do, no matter how low the job is. the lady that takes away your tray when you throw it away is always friendly and smiling. sometimes i think americans can learn a thing or two about work ethic there.

I'm pretty sure Evisu had some collab with Mc'donalds as well.

I was in HK during December, and saw the employees wearing evisu crossover mc'donalds or sth.

I guess they are a match made in heaven, since both the Evisu and Mc'D logo are pretty damn similar.

I've never liked or understood the appeal of Evisu's, and after seeing the collab. did not help me understand it any better.

i went back during a summer for 2 months and i saw all mcd workers wearing these mcdxevisu jeans..i was like damn!! maybe i should get a part time job and bounce afterwards when i get those jeans.. or straight up buy it from one of those workers lol

i always make it a point to go to mcdonald's. the people there are nice and service is always friendly. plus the food tastes much better because the people put pride in what they do, no matter how low the job is. the lady that takes away your tray when you throw it away is always friendly and smiling. sometimes i think americans can learn a thing or two about work ethic there.

Also, from what I remember of HK (I haven't been back to China for a while now), all day breakfast at McDonald's. I couldn't care less about the rest of the menu as breakfast is the only good thing McDonald's sell.

yeh the silly thing came out in HK in the last week of december while i was there. you guys have to keep in mind that mcdonald's doesn't have the perception in hong kong as it does in the U.S. in america, its some stupid dead end job. in HK, mcdonald's is a cool and hip place to work at and a place for kids to hang out. mcdonald's has done a good job marketing to the young demographic to enhance their image by working with people like red monkey, softhard, and now silly thing. everytime i'm in hong kong, i always make it a point to go to mcdonald's. the people there are nice and service is always friendly. plus the food tastes much better because the people put pride in what they do, no matter how low the job is. the lady that takes away your tray when you throw it away is always friendly and smiling. sometimes i think americans can learn a thing or two about work ethic there.

i feel kind of bad sometimes. the young kids work the cashier and stuff.. but lots of old/elderly do the cleaning =[

shitty chain restaurant as in the biggest chain restaurant there is??

i don't really understand the question. i don't know and don't care if they're the biggest, all i know is that the food sucks and is bad for my health.

i don't really understand the question. i don't know and don't care if they're the biggest, all i know is that the food sucks and is bad for my health.

its fast food and its mcdonalds of course its bad but no one is telling to eat it everyday... and the mcd's in asia has a different menu then the ones in the US

yeah McD's in HK is cool...the food is better. It's all about the Chicken McNuggets combo for me, sometimes i like to enjoy a big mac as well.

come to think of it, fast food in hong kong is pretty much the shit (friendly, efficient service, even the customers look more upwardly mobile haha) compared to the States, where it's so depressing and really a dead-end deal, like someone above mentioned.

its fast food and its mcdonalds of course its bad but no one is telling to eat it everyday... and the mcd's in asia has a different menu then the ones in the US

i live in tokyo. no shit the menu is different in asia. i still don't understand your previous comment/question. no offense, but what exactly is your point?

my point is that silly thing sucks, and the very concept of doing a double label with a fastfood chain which also sucks is ridiculous. it's like two turds walking hand in hand.

Excerpt from Golden Arches East by James L. Watson (link via NYTimes)

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/w/watson-arches.html

The Big Mac as a Symbol of Americana

In October 1, 1993, National Day in China, a couple in their early seventies had dinner at the McDonald's restaurant on Wangfujing Street. They had been invited to celebrate the holiday at McDonald's by their daughter and son-in-law, who spent almost 200 yuan for the dinner, an unimaginably large sum in the view of the elderly couple. The experience of eating in a foreign restaurant struck them as so significant they had their picture taken in front of the Golden Arches and sent it to their hometown newspaper, along with another photo they had had taken on October 1, 1949, in Tiananmen Square--celebrating the first National Day of the People's Republic of China. Their story was later published by the newspaper, with the two contrasting photographs. In the 1949 photo, the two young people appear in identical white shirts, standing slightly apart, their thin faces betraying undernourishment in hard times. In the 1993 photo, a portly woman proudly holds her husband's left arm, and the two are healthy looking and fashionably dressed. They took a taxi to McDonald's and, while crossing Tiananmen Square, they remembered how poor they had been in 1949 and realized how much China has changed in the interim.

At first glance, this news story reads like the typical propaganda skit that one still finds in official Chinese media, with its constant play on "recalling the bitterness of old China and thinking of the sweetness of the new society" (yiku sitian). However, in this case it is McDonald's--a capitalist, transnational enterprise--that symbolizes the "sweetness" of current life. What is even more interesting, the headline of the story reads: "Forty-Four years: From Tu to Yang." The terms tu and yang have been paired concepts in the everyday discourse of Chinese political culture since the nineteenth century. In common usage, tu means rustic, uncouth, and backward, whereas yang refers to anything foreign (particularly Western), fashionable, and quite often, progressive. The juxtaposition of these common terms demonstrates how McDonald's and its foreign (yang) food have become synonymous with progressive changes that make life more enjoyable in contemporary China.

In the eyes of Beijing residents, McDonald's represents Americana and the promise of modernization. McDonald's highly efficient service and management, its spotless dining environment, and its fresh ingredients have been featured repeatedly by the Chinese media as exemplars of modernity. McDonald's strict quality control, especially regarding potatoes, became a hot topic of discussion in many major newspapers, again with the emphasis on McDonald's scientific management as reflected in the company's unwavering standards. According to one commentator who published a series of articles on McDonald's, the company's global success can be traced to its highly standardized procedures of food production, its scientific recipes, and its modern management techniques. As the title of his article ("Seeing the World from McDonald's") suggests, each restaurant represents a microcosm of the transnational, so much so that, according to another article by the same author, many American youths prefer to work at McDonald's before they leave home to seek work elsewhere. The experience of working at McDonald's, he continues, prepares American youth for any kind of job in a modern society.

Other news items associate the success of transnational food chains with their atmosphere of equality and democracy. No matter who you are, according to one of these reports, you will be treated with warmth and friendliness in the fast food restaurants; hence many people patronize McDonald's to experience a moment of equality. This argument may sound a bit odd to Western readers, but it makes sense in the context of Chinese culinary culture. When I asked my Beijing informants about the equality factor, they all pointed out that banquets in Chinese restaurants are highly competitive: people try to outdo one another by offering the most expensive dishes and alcoholic beverages. It is typical for the host at a banquet to worry that customers at neighboring tables might be enjoying better dishes, thus causing him or her to lose face. To avoid such embarrassment, many people prefer to pay the extra fees necessary to rent a private room within a restaurant. Such competition does not exist at McDonald's, where the menu is limited, the food is standardized, and every customer receives a set of items that are more or less equal in quality. There is no need to worry that one's food might be lower in status than a neighbor's. For people without a lot of money but who need to host a meal, McDonald's has become the best alternative.

The rest of the article can be found in the link.